[sci.electronics] Thanks for the BSR info... one more question

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (07/27/89)

First of all thats to all of you who replied to my initial question
about replacing the triac in lamp modules.

We live in a rental house.  As I have expanded the number of BSR's used
I have discovered areas of the house that the controllers have trouble
getting messages through to modules.

Are there some obvious things to look for to get BSR throughout the
house?

Thanks again,

George Rachor Jr.

george@flight.hf.intel.com

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (07/28/89)

In article <190@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:
>I have discovered areas of the house that the controllers have trouble
>getting messages through to modules.
>Are there some obvious things to look for to get BSR throughout the
>house?

Place a .1 MFD 1000V capacitor across the 240V line in the house like this:

            L1             Neutral          L2
             |                |              |
             |                |              |
             | <--- 120V. --> | <- 120V. --> |
             |                               |
             | <----- 240V. ---------------> |
             |                               |
             |                               |
             |                       | |     |
             O-----------------------| |-----O
             |                       | |     |
             |                               |
             |                   0.1MFD      |
                                 1000VDC

You can do this without disturbing the wiring by puting the the capacitor
into a 240V plug and pluging it into a 240V outlet in your home.

If you are experienced in working with live home wiring, use your voltmeter
to locate 240V in one of the wall boxes and connect the capacitor there.  The
bathroom wall swith may be a good place to look if it also contains a
receptical.

The capacitor will allow the BSR control signals to pass to the other
line, so that the whole house may be controled.  It works for me.

Larry Dighera

PS:
If you'd like to have your UNIX (tm) system control your home via a BSR
"Power House" RS232 interface, you'll find a program written by Larry
Campbell in /usr3/public/bsr.c[12].Z on conexch.  This is available for
anonymous UUCP transfer.  There's a Systems/L.sys line in the .signature.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

jpainter@tjp.East.Sun.COM (John Painter - Sun BOS Hardware) (07/29/89)

Most (all??) homes in the US are 220 volt mains with each branch
being the 110 (117?) volt service.  I had similar problems and
solved them with a low value (very low value) capacitor (around
.01 mf) across the 220 main (not the ground connection)  don't
do this with the power on (ie. do it after the main breaker, pull
the fuses or breaker physically out if you can easily) and still
act as if the circuit were live.  (Many urban legends exist about
false paths for the power when it should have been off.  Try not
to become a legend in your own time ...)

/Tjp

-Power to the people.  All at reasonable rates determined by the PUC