[sci.electronics] Zilog SCC8530

friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas A Mcdonald) (08/01/89)

Does anyone know how to program the Zilog SCC8530 serial com. chip?

I am writing a MIDI driver on an Apple IIgs with an Apple MIDI interface
(without using the toolbox), and I need to know how to program the Zilog
directly.

Thanks,

		     Tom

		     (friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU)

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (08/02/89)

In article <4076@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas A Mcdonald) writes:

>Does anyone know how to program the Zilog SCC8530 serial com. chip?
>
>		     Tom
>
>		     (friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU)

WOW! I thought I'd never see something like this! I actually have some
inkling of how to use it. I'm not ready to try to explain. You can get
a manual from Zilog for free by just giving them a call. Look 'em up
in the phone book. If you have trouble, I'll send you their
address/phone.

Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

mckenzie@june.cs.washington.edu (Neil McKenzie) (08/04/89)

In article <13193@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>In article <4076@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas A Mcdonald) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to program the Zilog SCC8530 serial com. chip?
>>		     Tom
>>		     (friday@vax1.acs.udel.EDU)
>
>WOW! I thought I'd never see something like this! I actually have some
>inkling of how to use it. I'm not ready to try to explain. You can get
>a manual from Zilog for free by just giving them a call. Look 'em up
                         ^^^^
>in the phone book. If you have trouble, I'll send you their
>address/phone.
>
>Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
>dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu

There is a Zilog research group in Campbell, California, near the interchange
between Winchester Blvd. and the San Tomas Expressway.  I guess this won't do as
an address, but it's a start.

When I was living in the area (San Jose), I went down there to get
documentation on the SCC chip.  I got a thin booklet and expected it to
be free, but those dweebs charged me something like six bucks!  I couldn't
find the same document anywhere else, so I had to pay.

I guess they had to make up for lost sales of their Z80000 in *some* way :-)
Funny thing is that their microcomputer group used the AT&T WE32100 CPU instead
of their own Zilog CPU's.  This was back in '86-'87 or so; I don't know
what they've been up to since.

--Neil McKenzie (mckenzie@june.cs.washington.edu)