[sci.electronics] Meeting on health effects of electric and magnetic fields

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (07/29/89)

But what about the electrical wires surrounding every building, commercial
and residential, that we live in???

Our houses, for example have "Romex" (or equiv.) wire wrapped around
nearly every room in them.  If this premise were true, nearly everyone
with electricity would be surrounded by "electrical wires producing
electromagnetic fields", given that current is being conducted through
the wires.

'Time to rip all of those "bad wires" out of every house and shut off
the electricity?? :-)

schiller@adobe.com (Steve Schiller) (08/04/89)

In article <10040012@hprmokg.HP.COM> barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) writes:
>But what about the electrical wires surrounding every building, commercial
>and residential, that we live in???
>
>Our houses, for example have "Romex" (or equiv.) wire wrapped around
>nearly every room in them.  If this premise were true, nearly everyone
>with electricity would be surrounded by "electrical wires producing
>electromagnetic fields", given that current is being conducted through
>the wires.

The early epidemiological studies (around 1979 by Nancy Weirtheimer
(sp?) in Denver Colorado) on the effects of 60Hz power wiring in
and around residences showed that magnetic fields (not eletric fields)
were the culprit in increased cancer rates (luekemia actually) in
small children.  A couple factors combined to produce dangerous
environments in the residences where this occured: 1) the residences
were near lines that were carrying the entire (rather large) current
of a near by step down tranformer secondary before being distributed
to a number of different feeder lines, 2) Some of these residences had
improperly wired appliances so that the return current from the
appliance went though the earth ground instead of returning along a
wire near the power wire that would have canceled some of the magnetic field,
and 3) the children who did who did get luekemia lived in the same
residence for their entire childhood.

The upshot of all of this is that the effects are small and only
occur when a variety of factors conspire to concetrate them.  But
the amazing thing is that there is any biological response to fields
of this strenght at all.  (I think the fields were around 10 to 20
milligauss - but I can't be sure I am remembering correctly.)
Prior to this research (and even after due the obstinace of various
people) the safe levels for exposure to electromagnetic radiation
were set according to how much heat your body could disapate. In other
words, anything below cooking power was fine. Since 1980 a variety
of research has been done to show that nerve cells do respond low level
magnetic fields either at low frequncies (peak response is around
16 Hz but effects are measured up to 60 Hz) or at high frequencies
modulated by a low frequency signal.

Steve Schiller