[sci.electronics] RGB to NTSC Conversion - HELP

uchuck@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Bennett) (08/07/89)

Our TV Department has been requested to make a videotape production
incorporating computer generated graphics/animation.  They need to
be able to convert EGA, maybe VGA and probably eventually super-VGA
to NTSC, RS-170A signals.  In addition they require that the NTSC
signal be Gen-lockable from an external composite sync and that it
be "timeable" to production video switchers.

I believe that I have seen discussions in these forums regarding this
kind of capability either using the output of a standard EGA or VGA
card or a specialized card specifically for this purpose.  We have
at our disposal IBM PC's, AT's , PS/2 Mdl 50's and PS/2 Mdl 60's.  We
can, if necessary, obtain most any other PC-clone or other models of
PS/2's.

My request is that anyone with experience and/or knowledge PLEASE
e-mail me information regarding this subject.  I need make, model,
cost, addresses, anecdotal accounts, etc.  I WILL summarize the
summary.

One more thing - they have been requested to have this production
COMPLETED for use in a medical school class by NOVEMBER 1, 1989.
PLEASE HURRY if you have any information.
--
    Chuck Bennett          e-mail (any): uchuck@unc.bitnet
    University of NC                     uchuck@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/09/89)

>From: uchuck@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Bennett) Message-ID: <7440@ecsvax.UUCP>
>
>Our TV Department has been requested to make a videotape production
>incorporating computer generated graphics/animation.  They need to
>be able to convert EGA, maybe VGA and probably eventually super-VGA
>to NTSC, RS-170A signals.  In addition they require that the NTSC
>signal be Gen-lockable from an external composite sync and that it
>be "timeable" to production video switchers.

For what you want to do an Amiga (commodore) is Purrfectly suited to your
applications. I'm not sure whether there is any programs available to
convert VGA to IFF (Amiga format) but if there is you could probably get
a working setup and some GOOD software for the price of your added
peripherals. I have an Amiga 500 computer and the animations on this thing
are nothing short of Incredible ! The comp. set me back a whopping 550.00
brand new and genlocks are available by the dozen for a good price. The
supergen Genlock by digital creations supports RS-170 format and does a
super job of fading either computer graphics to Video or visa versa with
hardware OR software control. Future (NON-VAPORWARE) hardware improvements
will allow higher resolutions than the now standard 704 x 456 overscan
images. The computer has a graphics co-processor that tremendously increases
the speed of graphic and DMA X-fers to make for great animations. I have
a bunch of digitized pictures that look photographic quality on screen and
can be used in animations. :-) :-)

BTW our local cable company uses an Amiga for their program listing and
advertisement channel. It is touted as a Desktop-Video machine though
it does many many other things wonderfully such as DTP. It also is a
MULTITASKING machine. i.e. download, print and play a game all at the
same time with no noticable slowdown in any of the running programs.

For more info ask at comp.sys.amiga newsgroup. People there are very
helpfull.

Off my soapbox now, sorry I got a little carried away there netlanders :-)

--
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*