[sci.electronics] Fire detection for horse barn - how?

gnd@tetons.UUCP (Greg Darnell) (08/04/89)

   I would like to install a fire detection system in our horse barn.
All of the commercial alarm system installers that have been out to
give me an estimate would like to use "rate-of-rise" heat detectors
that sense a rapid increase in temperature accompanying a fire.
The installers believe that smoke detectors are not appropriate
for a dusty, open area (36' x 165') such as where the stalls are.
Unfortunately, the spec sheets for heat detectors have big warnings
that they are for property protection only, and that many types of
fires would generate fatal amounts of smoke before the detectors would
go off.  Now, aside from the monetary value of the horses, which may
be far greater than the value of the barn, our emotional investment
in the horses is infinitely greater than in the building.
   Therefore, I am looking for a method of barn fire detection
which will give better protection for the animals themselves.
If anyone has any experiences or ideas, please let me know.  Also,
if you know of any sources where I can order the equipment and install
it myself, I would appreciate pointers to them.  Local supply is limited
to Radio Shack, whose systems and sensors are probably not
sophisticated enough for this application.  If there is sufficient
interest I will summarize all responses to the net.
   Thanks.
      Greg
--
 Greg Darnell    Amdahl Corporation    143 N. 2 E., Rexburg, Idaho 83440
  UUCP:{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!tetons!gnd          (208) 356-8915

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (08/05/89)

You might send away for brochures from some of the burglar alarm
companies.  They also use sensors for home fire protection in
conjunction with their alarm systems.  Some manufacturers that
come to mind are Honeywell and Ademco.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (08/09/89)

In article <825@tetons.UUCP> gnd@tetons.UUCP (Greg Darnell) writes:

>   I would like to install a fire detection system in our horse barn.

As the owner of an alarm company and holder of a State of Ohio Fire
Alarm Installer's License, I have seen this application in the past.
It's a tough one.  If you wish to protect the lives of the building's
occupants (as opposed to the structure itself), you will have to
design to National Fire Protection Ass'n spec's... just like a
hospital or other similar "Life Safety" application.

Normally you would use smoke detectors, installed at spacing determined
by square footage, with height of the ceiling (higher ceilings de-rate
smoke detection) and ventilation taken in consideration.  This appilcation
presents some other unique problems, though.

There are two common types of smoke detectors: photoelectric and
ionization.  (More on other types later.)  Each type has its own
weaknesses.  Horse barns are usually not suitable for either type.
The ammonia and dust in the air cause false alarms.

Of the other types of detectors made, the flame-signature infrared/
ultraviolet system works best (except for smoldering, spontaneous
combustion type fires, common in barns).  This is what the military
uses in jet hangars.  It is -very- expensive, but since you have
horses, you are used to spending large amounts of money ;-)
From what horse owners tell me, they are as expensive as jet aircraft
to maintain (and almost as expensive as teenagers to raise). :-) !

>All of the commercial alarm system installers that have been out to
>give me an estimate would like to use "rate-of-rise" heat detectors
>that sense a rapid increase in temperature accompanying a fire.

Basically, you need a working fire with four to five feet of open
flame to trigger one of these.  Not suitable for life-safety protection.

>The installers believe that smoke detectors are not appropriate
>for a dusty, open area (36' x 165') such as where the stalls are.

At least they have some idea of what they are talking about.  All too
many do not.

How have I dealt with this problem in the past?

1. I warned the customer that this would be a somewhat expensive and
   a high maintenance installation, otherwise a high number of false
   alarms could be expected.  And no other guarantees, either.

2. I used photoelectric detectors with detachable heads and placed them
   in the barn using NFPA and (especially!) the guidance of a factory
   fire safety engineer (NOT the sales rep).  Usually I spaced them on
   20 to 30 foot centers and was sure to keep them accessible for service.

3. I taught the customer to clean the detectors every two or three months,
   and made him keep a written record.

4. I designed the system with pre-warning: When tripped, a local beep tone
   sounds for thirty seconds before the main alarm signals to the central
   alarm station.  This allows the cancellation of an alarm locally when
   caused by throwing hay bales (dust), etc.

5. I made sure the customer was one who kept the place clean in the first
   place.

Be sure ALL components are UL listed for Fire Alarm use, including the
wire (they will be plainly labeled as such).  Get decent commercial
rated equipment from a professional company.  If you are going to do
this yourself, get it designed by an experienced company.  A poor
installation is worse than no installation at all, it gives you a
false sense of security.

E-mail me or call me to get further specific suggestions.  I don't
wish to sound negative, but fire alarm engineering and installation
is seldom successfully done by amateurs, at least without a LOT of
help.  (Just talk to your local insurance company loss prevention
engineer or fire marshall for their ideas on this...)

Regards,

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251 Fax: 216-723-3223
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
                                  Your milage may vary.