[sci.electronics] bsr x-10 for sprinklers, et al

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (08/04/89)

>> I have been using the BSR X-10 controller downloaded from my PC to
>> run my sprinklers.  I currently have a 24 volt transformer plugged
>> into an appliance timer that causes the electric valve to turn on
>> when the X-10 system tells it to.
> This is the second time this system has been mentioned.  Sounds
>promising.  How can I find out more about it?  Manufacturer's
>address/phone would be appreciated or any publications which
>commonly advertise retail sales of it.  Thanks.
I am also interested and I guess there are others as well.
Can some please post the appropiate info to rec.gardens and/or
misc.consumer.house?
BTW, I have aluminum siding and intercoms that use house
current to send the signal DO NOT WORK with aluminum siding.
(You hear a loud hum instead of the caller).
Will the BSR X-10 system work in my house?
naively,
joec@morgan.com

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/05/89)

Since it has been asked for, I will elaborate a little more on my BSR X-10
sprinkler configuration.  First of all, the X-10 components can be purchased
from several places such as Radio Shack, Sears (maybe not any more), DAK
mail order, and Egghead Software.  I got my PC controller from DAK, but I'm
told that Egghead has them too.  I don't think Radio Shack or Sears carries
that particular box - they just have the simple command consoles and the
various appliance and light modules.  Anyway, here is a block diagram of how
this fits together:

+----+               +-------------------+
|    | (Serial port) |                   | (110v cord)
| PC +---------------+ BSR PC Controller +-------------(= || (Wall Outlet)
|    |               |                   |
+----+               +-------------------+

The above setup allows the PC to download time-tables into the BSR box
for when to turn on and off various modules around the house.  (Once the
BSR box is downloaded, using the S/W that comes with it on a floppy, you
can disconnect the BSR box and reclaim your RS-232 port for something
else and the BSR box does its thing.)  Also, the configuration that you
download into the BSR box is backed up by a 9-volt battery; I use the
Kodak Supralife Lithium cell for long life.

Downstairs where the wires from the sprinkler solenoids come in, I do
the following:

     +------+     +------------------+
     |  BSR |     |                  |
|| =)| Appl.|= =)-----+ 110-volt/24-volt +----- - - - - - ----- to sprinkler
     |Module|     | stepdown trans.  |
     +------+     +------------------+

The above diagram will only control one sprinkler zone.  That's all I use
at the moment because I just water the vegetable garden, but here is my
expansion plan:

           +------------------+
           |                  |      /
|| =)------+ 110-volt/24-volt +-----o  o----------- to sprinkler
           | stepdown trans.  |      ||
           +------------------+      ||
                                  +--++---+
                                  | Relay |
                    +------+      +---+---+
                    |  BSR |          |
                  =)+ Appl.+=)--------+
                    |Module|
                    +------+

The relay is used to switch the 24-volts to whichever solenoid is to
be energized at the time.  The 24-volt transformer stays on all the time
in this plan (that's probably ok; a doorbell transformer would probably
do the job since they are on all the time too).  The relay shown can be
any 110-volt solenoid coil type from Radio Shack with at least a SPST
contact (all of them have this capability).  With this plan, for additional
zones just buy another BSR appliance module and relay and tap off of
the 24 volt transformer to drive the additional circuit.  The additional
zone would cost about $25 in parts.  The BSR pc controller box is about
$40-$50 and the step-down transformer is about $10.

Hope this helps!

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.

bfoss@goofy.apple.com (Brad Foss) (08/08/89)

 ...explanation on multiple sprinkler valves on one transformer

 >With this plan, for additional
>zones just buy another BSR appliance module and relay and tap off of
>the 24 volt transformer to drive the additional circuit.  The additional
>zone would cost about $25 in parts.  The BSR pc controller box is about
>$40-$50 and the step-down transformer is about $10.

I'm also using the BSR system to run one auto valve. (It's nice to be able
to set it to drip water every Sunday morning for 3 hours) I am planning on
expanding to run more than one valve and was wondering about the cheapest
way to do it, so your info is well timed. I am curious though, according
to your prices, I could buy an appliance module, ($12-$15), and a
step-down transformer ($10), and end up spending as much or less than
using your relay scheme. Am I missing something?

Network Innovations is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple Computer, Inc.
Neither one agrees with anything I say.

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/08/89)

Somebody made an interesting observation that if the relay to run additional
zones cost more than a step-down transformer one might as well just get another
transformer and switch it on and off.  This is more bulky, but who cares?  I
agree, whatever is cheapest...

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.
"Unix Public Access for the Masses!"
edm@nwnexus.WA.COM

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (08/09/89)

There has been an ongoing discussion of using BSR applicance modules to
control sprinklers by switching the AC to the zones, or switching multiple
trnasformers.

A couple of points:

1)  The BSR signal is fragile.  I have several lights controlled by BSR stuff
    here in teh house, and if the refrigerator or the freezer chooses to start
    at the same moment, the BSR signal can't get through.  If I had a system
    that ran sprinklers, I'd program an additional off pulse a minute or two
    later.  In fact my CP-290 is programmed to duplicate any on or off code
    2 minutes later just-in-case.  This trick has made my system much more
    reliable.  I also "off" my porch lights at 2am, in case I've forgotten.

2)  There are several versions of the applicance module.  Many can't be used
    to switch other than 110vac.  Switching the primaries of multiple
    transformers is pretty much foolproof.

3)  BSR has just announced a new module designed for the experimenter - it has
    dry contact outputs.  It can't switch a _lot_ of current, I think it's
    only 2 amp contacts, but it would be ideal for this.  The production is
    just now ramping up, so sit tight.  I've got one plan for a module - turn
    off the phone bell in the bedroom at night!

4)  Another product that is in the works is an ascii transciever: press a
    button on a control console and a string could be sent to your PC.  The
    PC could make a decision and send out another string (with a different
    house code, for example) and operate modules.  This type of a controller
    makes for interetsting possibilities - direct control of modules using
    the console on one house code, "interpreted" control by talking to the PC
    on another code.  I plan on getting one when they come out - I have an
    ond Z80 single baord computer lying around...

Mike Morris
UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
#Include quote.cute.standard   | The opinions above probably do not even come
cat flames.all > /dev/null     | close to those of my employer(s), if any.

tompkins@ttidca.TTI.COM (Pete Tompkins) (08/11/89)

In article <3387@internal.Apple.COM> bfoss@goofy.apple.com (Brad Foss) writes:
> way to do it, so your info is well timed. I am curious though, according
> to your prices, I could buy an appliance module, ($12-$15), and a
> step-down transformer ($10), and end up spending as much or less than
			^^^^^
Radio Shack sells a 1/2Amp 26.5VAC transformer for $4.95.  My
sprinkler valves require 400ma to start and 200ma to hold open, so a
1/2 amp transformer is quite adequate, and probably cheaper than a
relay scheme.

--
*Pete Tompkins		(213) 452-9191 ext. 3000
*Citicorp/TTI

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (08/14/89)

In article <5318@ttidca.TTI.COM> tompkins@ttidca.TTI.COM (Pete Tompkins) writes:
>My sprinkler valves require 400ma to start and 200ma to hold open, so a
>1/2 amp transformer is quite adequate, and probably cheaper than a
>relay scheme.

As the X-10 appliance module and the transformer can both be UL-listed
items, this solution probably keeps the insurance company happier than
a homemade (pun intended) relay-based circuit.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco