[sci.electronics] Copy protection bit set on my CD player

rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) (08/02/89)

   Hi.  I just bought an NAD 5340 CD player with serial digital out.
I wanted digital out so that when I could afford a DAT unit, I could
copy my CDs.  Why would I wan't to copy my CDs you ask?  So I can make
"party" tapes of various songs, and so that I can play them in my car.
I believe that since DAT tape players are not as shock-sensitive as CD
players, they will become more popular for automotive use.

   This is my question.  It says in my documentation that the copy
protection bit is always set on my digital out, even if the CD I am
playing does not have it set.  This is not good.  Does it seem possible
that the engineers that designed this made this defeatable?  Perhaps
there is a diode I can clip, etc.  I know of scanners that cannot
recieve cellular phone, until you clip a diode.  Any thoughts?  Maybe
the DAT recorders will have an unadvertised "feature" like this.

   The Sony-Betamax case won in court.  It allows you to make a single
copy of any copywrited material for your own use.  I do not think this
should be ignored in the DAT issue.  I am tired of advancing technology
being crippled.
						--Rob.
--
Robert S. Silvers
Epoch Systems, Inc., 313 Boston Post Rd. West, Marlborough, MA 01752

spcecdt@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Space Cadet) (08/05/89)

In article <752@palladium.UUCP> rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) writes:

>   Hi.  I just bought an NAD 5340 CD player with serial digital out.
>I wanted digital out so that when I could afford a DAT unit, I could
>copy my CDs.  Why would I wan't to copy my CDs you ask?  So I can make
>"party" tapes of various songs, and so that I can play them in my car.
>I believe that since DAT tape players are not as shock-sensitive as CD
>players, they will become more popular for automotive use.
>Robert S. Silvers

     Unfortunately, CDs use a sampling frequency that is different
from the one consumer DAT decks record at.  This was intended specifically
to prevent copying of CDs.  DAT decks can play tapes recorded at either
frequency, so they can play prerecorded tapes of the same source used for
CDs, but getting a consumer DAT deck to record at that sampling rate would
involve a *lot* of work.
     Of course, one must wonder how long it will be before we see a purely
digital sampling rate converter available capable of interpolating samples at
the correct rate from a CD output.  This sampling rate incompatibility copy
protection may stop less determined copiers, but the more determined ones will
*always* find a way...

>Epoch Systems, Inc., 313 Boston Post Rd. West, Marlborough, MA 01752
>...!linus!alliant!palladium!rsilvers -or- ...!harvard!cfisun!palladium!rsilvers
>(508)481-3717

	John DuBois
	spcecdt@ucscb.ucsc.edu
	...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!spcecdt

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (08/06/89)

In article <752@palladium.UUCP> rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) writes:

(portion deleted about using a DAT to copy CDs - wjv)

>   The Sony-Betamax case won in court.  It allows you to make a single
>copy of any copywrited material for your own use.  I do not think this
>should be ignored in the DAT issue.  I am tired of advancing technology
>being crippled.

You have the results of the Betamax decision wrong.  The decision said it was
legal to video tape programs that were broadcast by TV stations.  That is all
it applied to.  It did not apply to copies of tape, copies from pay for view,
copies from any cable system.  The latter will never be brought to court, as
you can pick up any video section of a major newspaper and see the local cable
systems noting certain movies as beind "ideal for home taping".

You are talking about "fair-use" provisions and possibly "first sale"
provisions of the copyright law.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (08/07/89)

From article <752@palladium.UUCP>, by rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers):

> I wanted digital out so that when I could afford a DAT unit, I could
> copy my CDs.  Why would I wan't to copy my CDs you ask?  So I can make
> there is a diode I can clip, etc.  I know of scanners that cannot
> recieve cellular phone, until you clip a diode.  Any thoughts?  Maybe
> the DAT recorders will have an unadvertised "feature" like this.

Is this bit on a parallel port ? Surely all you need to do is to not wire
the bit when you make up rthe lead to the DAT ! Or hae I made some great error
in my assumptions here .

-Pete.
---------
There now follows some lines in a desperate attempt to persuade my news
software that I have more new lines that verbatim ones in this article !
---------

rabin@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Rabin Ezra) (08/10/89)

In article <752@palladium.UUCP> rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) writes:
>   This is my question.  It says in my documentation that the copy
>protection bit is always set on my digital out, even if the CD I am
>playing does not have it set.  This is not good.  Does it seem possible
>that the engineers that designed this made this defeatable?  Perhaps
>there is a diode I can clip, etc.  I know of scanners that cannot
>recieve cellular phone, until you clip a diode.  Any thoughts?  Maybe
>the DAT recorders will have an unadvertised "feature" like this.
No. (It is not easily defeatable, or someone has egg on their face)
No. (DAT recorders will probably echo the bit on the tape)
You would probably need to build a little box to read the data
stream, knock out the bit, and then forward it. While you were
at it, you could also do a digital domain conversion to 48kHz
sampling rate as most domestic DAT players, though they will
play at 32/44.1/48 will only digitally accept 32 and 48. The
other option is to buy one of the super expensive DAT recorders
that have been touted for profesional use. These don't have the
limitation, probably as one of the proposed uses is for
recording the mixdown for CD masters. Still, what is wrong with
an analogue copy, if this is for in car use. The artifacts
introduced by 48k sampling of the 44.1 signal (Which should be
clean of any conversion nosie before it gets out the player)
will be so minute that I doubt that you could detect them in a
really good home setup, let alone the noisy environment of a
car.
Happy listening,

--
Rabin Ezra                   UUCP:  rabin@qmc-cs.UUCP
PhD Student,                 JANET: rabin@uk.ac.qmc.cs

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (08/10/89)

I SUSPECT that the beaurocrats really do have egg on their faces for this one...plans will probably hit one of the hobbyist magazine before the recorders are really in wide distribution....
        cheers
        kelly
disclaimer: i DONT REPRESENT AMDAHL CORP OR ONLINE CONSULTING I ONLY REPRESENT
            MYSELF!!

jk3k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joe Keane) (08/11/89)

In article <1183@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> rabin@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Rabin Ezra) writes:
>The artifacts introduced by 48k sampling of the 44.1 signal (Which should be
>clean of any conversion nosie before it gets out the player) will be so minute
>that I doubt that you could detect them in a really good home setup, let alone
>the noisy environment of a car.

If you do it right, there are no aritfacts.  The original signal contains no
energy above 22.05KHz, so you can represent it exactly with 48KHz sampling.  So
you do some hairy matrix crunching, put them algorithm in ROM for a DSP, and
sell the thing for big bucks.  Oh yes, it happens to have a switch remove the
copy-protection bits.

BTW, i think the choice of 44.1KHz sampling was unfortunate.  I can hear a
22KHz tone, but even if you can't, harmonics in that range still have a
definite effect on how music sounds.  I'll show you sometime...

jj) (08/11/89)

In article <sYsSd7600V4G80VdtN@andrew.cmu.edu> jk3k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joe Keane) writes:
>If you do it right, there are no aritfacts.  The original signal contains no
>energy above 22.05KHz, so you can represent it exactly with 48KHz sampling.  So
>you do some hairy matrix crunching, put them algorithm in ROM for a DSP, and
                   ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
(this statement is not incorrect, but...
>sell the thing for big bucks.

Will you dudes go out and get a copy of Crochiere and Rabiner's
"Multirate Digital Signal Processing", please, and become familiar
with absolutely standard interpolation/decimation techniques that can
handle this problem?  Please.

No, I won't write (another) tutorial on interpolation/decimation.

No, I didn't save the last one.

No, I don't save back articles for nut.audio, it's not worth the
disc space.
--
To the Lords of   *Mail to jj@alice.att.com  or alice!jj
Convention        *HASA, Atheist Curmudgeon Division

reb@squid.rtech.com (Richard Baum) (08/14/89)

In article <sYsSd7600V4G80VdtN@andrew.cmu.edu> jk3k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joe Keane) writes:
>If you do it right, there are no aritfacts.  The original signal contains no
>energy above 22.05KHz, so you can represent it exactly with 48KHz sampling.  So
>you do some hairy matrix crunching, put them algorithm in ROM for a DSP, and
>sell the thing for big bucks.  Oh yes, it happens to have a switch remove the
>copy-protection bits.

I want a box - just like that mythical one you described
             - with the "extra" switch!
                                                               reb
"If you want    Internet: reb@rtech.COM  or  reb%rtech.com@lll-winken.llnl.GOV
to end war      homeSMail: 861 Washington Ave Westwood, NJ 07675 h:201-666-9207
and  stuff
you've got to sing loud - so people can hear you!" - Arlo Guthrie