[sci.electronics] How to convert weight to volts?

kuusama@etana.tut.fi (Kuusama Juha) (07/09/89)

I'd like to build a small (pocket-size) weight scale, with a range of
about 1 to 20 kilograms and accuracy about 1%. If I get voltage, I can
surely handle the rest. But what to use as the converter?

The catch: I prefer the converter not to cost more than $20.
--
Juha Kuusama, kuusama@korppi.tut.fi ( ...!mcvax!tut!korppi!kuusama)

jayer@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Jay R Reinhart) (07/11/89)

/ hpcvia:sci.electronics / kuusama@etana.tut.fi (Kuusama Juha) /  1:58 am  Jul  9, 1989 /

>I'd like to build a small (pocket-size) weight scale, with a range of
>about 1 to 20 kilograms and accuracy about 1%. If I get voltage, I can
>surely handle the rest. But what to use as the converter?
>
>The catch: I prefer the converter not to cost more than $20.
>--
>Juha Kuusama, kuusama@korppi.tut.fi ( ...!mcvax!tut!korppi!kuusama)
>----------

   There is a company by the name of OMEGA ENGINEERING, INC. which sells
strain guages which are used in converting weight into voltage using a
bridge circuit. One address for them is ONE OMEGA DRIVE BOX 4047 STAMFORD
CT 06907-0047. If your not in a hurry send me your address and I can have
them send you a full catalog of their devices.

    Hope this helps------------------Jay Reinhart

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (07/11/89)

My best guess would be to use a strain gauge.  I don't know if it would
fit in your budget constraints, however.

The principle of operation would be to measure the amount of deflection
in a lever with the gauge and convert the output of the gauge to an
analog (and possibly later, digital) measurement.  Again, your cost
constraints will be the most difficult problem, especially if you want a
digital readout (A/D converter, clock circuit, display costs).

'Any other answers out there?

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (07/11/89)

Again the sad refrain, "the automagic e-mail system isn't".
Three attempts at private mail have bounced, so here are some
blue-sky guesses for everyone's amusement:

1) National Semiconductor used to sell pressure transducing modules.
   connect one to a small oil-filled hydraulic cylinder, and load the
   cylinder's piston with your test weight.  Force->pressure->volts.

2) Tape a strain gauge to a metal rod, and use the rod to suspend the
   unknown weight.  I don't remember much about the care and feeding
   of strain gauges, other than their signal outputs are fairly weak,
   and that they have fairly bothersome temperature and aging drifts.

3) Build a torsion balance:  Suspend the test weight by a cord wrapped
   around a wheel, attached to a shaft.  Support the shaft by bearings,
   and connect a torsion coil spring to it.  Anchor the other end of the
   coil spring to the same support the bearings use.  Add an optical or
   magnetic rotational encoder wheel to the shaft, and count the number
   of pulses produced when the weight is loaded onto the end of the cord.

4) Buy a run-of-the-mill spring scale.  Rig an LED/Phototransistor
   module up so as to get a thrill whenever the indicator is just past
   its "rest" position.  Attatch the object to be weighed to the scale's
   hook.  Shock the resultant system into mechanical oscillation with an
   external force, and measure the time intervals between the pairs of
   pulses from the phototransistor, which will give the period of the
   mechanical oscillator composed of the spring and the test mass, and
   will be a function of the test mass (provided the damping coefficient
   isn't too unreasonably large).

5) Build yourself a capacitor by sandwiching a squishable dielectric
   between two rigid conductors (probably metal plates).  The capacitance
   ought to vary as a function of how tightly the dielectric is squoze,
   which, if your test mass is placed atop the pile, will be a function
   of how heavy it is.  By incorporating this capacitor into an oscillator,
   you can measure weight as a function of frequency.  If you use two layers
   of the squishable dielectric, with foil in the middle, you can AC ground
   both the "outside" metal plates, to confine the capacitance changes to
   those induced by the weight.

   I think this last one's a winner.  Use a Bose (emitter-coupled astable)
   oscillator; as RC oscillators go, they're bulletproof, and unaffected by
   temperature and supply voltage variations.  Best of all, if you're trying
   for computer-readable input, time-related phenomena are easier to interface
   than voltage-related ones.

Suggestively yours,

Brian Rhodefer

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (07/12/89)

In article <10040010@hprmokg.HP.COM> barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) writes:
>My best guess would be to use a strain gauge.  I don't know if it would
>fit in your budget constraints, however.

	The least expensive solution that comes to my mind would be a
transformer with a moving core. The core is connected to a spring of the
apropriate weight. The rest of the system will consist of a regulated AC power
supply and an AC meter.

					JonnyG.

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/12/89)

|	The least expensive solution that comes to my mind would be a
|transformer with a moving core. The core is connected to a spring of the
|apropriate weight. The rest of the system will consist of a regulated AC power
|supply and an AC meter.

One of the more imaginative solutions I have seen is a project in
Elektor where they used a loudspeaker. The perimeter of the cone was
cut away.  A platform was then glued onto the cone. A photoelectric
sensor was attached.  The circuit was an op-amp which pumped enough
current through the coil to clear the photoelectric sensor (feedback
loop).  The current was then a measure of the weight on the platform.
A DVM chip and display completed the project.  Unfortunately this
balance only did up to 2 kg. Maybe you can get a monster loudspeaker
from a rock group and increase the range. :-)

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/13/89)

>From: kuusama@etana.tut.fi (Kuusama Juha) Message-ID: <7903@etana.tut.fi>

>I'd like to build a small (pocket-size) weight scale, with a range of
>about 1 to 20 kilograms and accuracy about 1%. If I get voltage, I can
>surely handle the rest. But what to use as the converter?
>The catch: I prefer the converter not to cost more than $20.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good Luck :-)

Its been a while since I've been in the Scale business but I will try
to give you a somewhat intelligent answer.

The only type of transducer that I've seen are strain gauge transducers.
Basically a Wheatstone bridge affair. The x-ducers are quite expensive
due to the fact that almost all are made to conform to state and federal
specifications which are .1 % error. Yes that's 1 tenth of 1 percent or
1 pound in 1000 allowable error. They come in differant flavors for
differant applications ie. 25 LB 50 LB 100 LB all the way up to 1000 LB
total capacity. Prices vary and I think that they were about 250.00 up.

These units would put out about 5 or 10 microvolts / graduation of rated
capacity and thus require some pretty sensetive equipment to use fully.
They are excited by about 12 - 15 VDC highly regulated and sensed supply.
most are linearized mechanically though the meathod lately is to linearize
them via uP lookup tables which could possibly have driven the price down
to a more reasonable level )but I doubt it :-(

If you are interested in buying one your nearby scale shop should be
able to set you up. Who knows... the prices may be within reason by
now.

BTW all of the instruments that I've seen use a dual slope conversion
which is rather slow but extremely accurate. ~ 2500.00

Your real best bet would be to buy a ready made scale such as an
O Haus diet scale or such. There are a million of them on the market
lately but I wouldn't bet my life on the accuracy or linearization of
such beasts, 1 % though doesn't sound too unreasonable.

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (07/13/89)

In article <5081@umd5.umd.edu> jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) writes:
>In article <10040010@hprmokg.HP.COM> barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) writes:
>>My best guess would be to use a strain gauge.  I don't know if it would
>>fit in your budget constraints, however.
>
>	The least expensive solution that comes to my mind would be a
>transformer with a moving core. The core is connected to a spring of the
>apropriate weight. The rest of the system will consist of a regulated AC power
>supply and an AC meter.
>
>					JonnyG.

I don't remember the original purpose of the load cell but if high precision
is not needed, one of the absolute cheapest cells is a piece of conductive
foam rubber sandwiched between 2 pieces of printed circuit board.  More
weight == more conductivity.  You can thermally compensate the device by
building 2 identical cells and fixing the plates of one against outside
force (epoxy does well here) and then putting them in a wheatstone
bridge arrangement.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Harrison Cooper) (07/13/89)

Depending on how much weight it is you want to measure (can't remember
from the original posting), why not use a force sensing resistor.  I
have a business card from a company that actually includes on the card a
force sensing resistor.  By attaching a ohm meter and pressing on the
card, one can see the resitance vary.  This can then be used to generate
a voltage swing, run thru an A/D and digital counter (see Intersils Data
Book page 7-66 for details).

Harrison Cooper  N7KST

** I have no affiliation with Intersil or its affiliates - but they do
make some good stuff to play with **

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (07/13/89)

A 'el cheapo' method I saw in a Radio-Electronics column once was:
Use the conductive foam that your ICs come packaged in as the main
ingredient in a copper sandwich.  A picture will help:

	--------  <-copper disk (penny, PC board, whatever)
    ~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~  <-conductive foam
    ~~~~~~~~
    --------  <-copper disk

Your wires are connected to the copper disk.  When compressed, the
resistance of the conductive foam is reduced.  You could easily
experiment to find values.

-j
--
"Captain's log:  Stardate 2734.3.  'I am nailed to the hull.'"

rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) (07/17/89)

> I'd like to build a small (pocket-size) weight scale, with a range of
> about 1 to 20 kilograms and accuracy about 1%. If I get voltage, I can
> surely handle the rest. But what to use as the converter?
>
> The catch: I prefer the converter not to cost more than $20.
> --
> Juha Kuusama, kuusama@korppi.tut.fi ( ...!mcvax!tut!korppi!kuusama)

Interlink Electronics, Santa Barbara, CA makes "Force-sensing resistors"
They are much cheaper than strain gages and also don't require exotic
instrumentation amplifiers either.  Should be ideal for your application.
Their phone number is (805)-965-5155.

                                      Rick Karlquist
                                      rkarlqu@hpscdc.hp.com

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (08/15/89)

*One of the more imaginative solutions I have seen is a project in
*Elektor where they used a loudspeaker. The perimeter of the cone was
*cut away.  A platform was then glued onto the cone. A photoelectric
*sensor was attached.  The circuit was an op-amp which pumped enough
*current through the coil to clear the photoelectric sensor (feedback
*loop).  The current was then a measure of the weight on the platform.
*A DVM chip and display completed the project.  Unfortunately this
*balance only did up to 2 kg. Maybe you can get a monster loudspeaker
*from a rock group and increase the range. :-)

In school I had to build an electronic scale for a project.  I
suspended the weight from a solinoid.  There was a light and a
photo transistor to sense the position of the solinoid. The photo
transistor was part of a feedback loop with an op amp and drive
transistor that varied the current in the solinoid to hold the
weight at the same height every time.  A volt meter was attached
to the solinoid to measure the voltage across it.  A lookup table
was emperically derived to convert from voltage to weight.  It
wasn't linear, but it worked and it cost <$20.

Most of the class used strain gauges.  I don't know where they got
them, they aren't cheap.  A friend had an interesting scale:  The
weight was placed on the end of a horizontal bar about 3" long and
1/2" square.  The bar was firmly attached to a base at the other end.
A phonogragh cartrige was mounted under the bar, near the middle, with
the stylus just touching the bar.  The output of the cartridge was
connected to a FET input op amp and measured the deflection of the bar
when the weight was put onto it.  I don't remember the electronics side
of it, I guess he must have integrated the output to get a voltage
proportional to the weight.

Frank Ball 2LR-O               frankb@hpsad.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard                (707) 794-4168
1212 Valley House Drive        fax:  (707) 794-4452
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999     I'm the NRA.