[sci.electronics] Old Discussion - Noise Reduction

floyd@smoke.BRL.MIL (Floyd C. Wofford) (08/17/89)

TWIMC:

Within the last year there was a lot of traffic on noise
reduction or noise cancellation techniques in these
two news groups.  I do not wish to rekindle that discussion,
but would someone care to send me a summary, preferably e-mail,
of the outcome of the postings.  I would also be interested
to see a couple of references on reduction of noise by injection
of a colored noise signal.  If such reports exist would someone
please pass the references along.

I do not intend to burden the net public with summaries of what,
if anything, I receive as responses.  I will try to honor e-mail
requests.

A great big thanks in advance to all who will respond.

Floyd Wofford
floyd@brl.mil

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (08/17/89)

In article <10759@smoke.BRL.MIL> floyd@smoke.BRL.MIL (Floyd C. Wofford) writes:

>TWIMC:
>
>Within the last year there was a lot of traffic on noise
>reduction or noise cancellation techniques in these
>two news groups.  I do not wish to rekindle that discussion,

Fine.   I will.  In the Spring 1989 of "Details on Signal Processing",
a quarterly newsletter published by Texas Instruments, there is an
article entitled _TMS320, the quietest DSP_ .   The article describes
a system developed by Lotus Engineering and the Institute of Sound and
Vibration Research of Southampton University.  The system actively
cancels noise inside the car at the firing frequency of the engine.
A drawing shows 8 microphones and 4 speakers.

"Engineers at Lotus have used the system in more than a dozen different
types of cars and have measured substantial reductions in the noise
levels at critical 'boom' speeds, often as much as 10 or 15 dB."

   For more information, TI suggets you call Lotus Engineering in
England at (0953) 608000.

Thought this might be of interest...
cris

--
||   Gee, do you think it'd help if I plugged in both ends of this cable?   ||
Cris Simpson              Computer Engineer               VA Rehab R&D Center