[sci.electronics] "Spybuster" by FuzzBuster

bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) (08/12/89)

larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>In article <661.24E1D0E5@bigtime.fidonet.org>, hugo@bigtime.fidonet.org (Hugo) writes:
>>   Of such interest is the newest addition to the home ECM scene, the
>> aircraft detector.  It is essentially the same as the radar detector in
>> that it is an alert device, but it operates by monitoring the police
>> aircraft communication freqs and with some minor discriminator circuitry
>> is able to determine approximate distance and course.  The latter must, of
>> course, be relatively crude.  It then 'assesses' whether the aircraft
>> poses a threat to your speed jaunt.  It shouldn't take long before the
>> police alter the frequencies or go silent, but it is interesting the
>> amount of money people will pay to drive fast.

>	I trust that you intend the above to be a joke.

>	For those readers to whom this is not obvious, virtually all local
>law enforcement agencies communicate on their regular assigned land mobile
>frequencies when engaged in aircraft operations.  There are no assigned
>"police aircraft communication" frequencies in the VHF aircraft band.
>Wulfsberg Electronics and Motorola C&E, among other vendors, manufacture
>synthesized radios for VHF and UHF land mobile frequencies having ARINC
>mountings which are specifically intended for aircraft installation.

>	Short of placing an Adcock antenna array or an equivalent device on
>the roof of a vehicle, there is no way to ascertain "course" of an aircraft
>based upon a radio emission.  For the application at hand, there is no
>way whatsoever to ascertain "distance" of an aircraft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hugo was trying to describe
Fuzzbuster's Spybuster.  The description from the Spybuster datasheet
is a bit vague, but it looks to me like they are analyzing aircraft
transponder transmissions in order to warn of nearby aircraft of any
type.  Let me quote from their brochure:

"The SPYBUSTER(TM) is truly a star wars device.  Over three years in
design and development by the man who invented the Fuzzbuster(R), it
will do what has been considered impossible...IT WILL DETECT
SURVEILLANCE AIRCRAFT!  Now you can defend yourself against this ever
expanding menace."

"The Federal Aviation Administration's new radar system now keeps
track of virtually all aircraft in U.S. airspace.  The SPYBUSTER(TM)
utilizes Big Brother's own signals to automatically alert you to the
presence of surveillance aircraft.  This unique and highly
sophisticated operating principle makes the SPYBUSTER(TM) effective
and LEGAL throughout the country."

The price of this wonder is $279.95 + $3.00 s&h, and you can order it
from Electrolert, Inc., by calling 1-800-543-3848.

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Electrolert, nor have I ever even
owned one of their products.  But this one sounds pretty useful,
especially here in central Florida, where the FHP, Orange County
Sheriff, and even some two-bit local police departments all use
fixed-wing aircraft for speed traps (the FHP nailed me near Tampa
several years ago for 77 in a 55 with an aircraft).

--
Computer Fenestrations						      Bob Breum
Post Office Box 151		{uiucuxc|hoptoad|petsd|ucf-cs}!peora!cmpfen!bob

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (08/17/89)

In article <241@cmpfen.UUCP> bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) writes:

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hugo was trying to describe
>Fuzzbuster's Spybuster.  The description from the Spybuster datasheet
>is a bit vague, but it looks to me like they are analyzing aircraft
>transponder transmissions in order to warn of nearby aircraft of any
>type.  Let me quote from their brochure:
>
>"The SPYBUSTER(TM) is truly a star wars device.  Over three years in
>design and development by the man who invented the Fuzzbuster(R), it
>will do what has been considered impossible...IT WILL DETECT
>SURVEILLANCE AIRCRAFT!  Now you can defend yourself against this ever
>expanding menace."
>
>"The Federal Aviation Administration's new radar system now keeps
>track of virtually all aircraft in U.S. airspace.  The SPYBUSTER(TM)
>utilizes Big Brother's own signals to automatically alert you to the
>presence of surveillance aircraft.  This unique and highly
>sophisticated operating principle makes the SPYBUSTER(TM) effective
>and LEGAL throughout the country."

Being a pilot, and IF I were a sky patrol, all I would have to do to bust
this buster is reach over and switch the xponder to standby.
I have been in states that have sky patrol, and when ever I have
seen them it's been in a remote area so I doubt if they even bother
to tell ATC who they were, and I doubt if ATC would even care if they did,
unless they where setting a speed trap in a controlled area.

I wonder how often it's going to start beeping at some
student pilot out on a cross-country.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack