[sci.electronics] NiCd battery charger

jeff@uf.msc.umn.edu (Jeff Turner) (08/21/89)

I am interested in building a NiCd battery "Delta Peak (rapid) Charger."
Apparently this type of charger detects a peak in something (voltage?) when the
battery is fully charged and automatically shuts off to avoid over charging.

I am interested in any information, including pointers to papers or articles
on the subject.

Thanks.

Jeff Turner			Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.
(612) 626-0544			1200 Washington Avenue South
jeff@msc.umn.edu		Minneapolis, Minnesota  55415

dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (08/22/89)

In article <349@uc.msc.umn.edu> jeff@uf.UUCP (Jeff Turner) writes:
>I am interested in building a NiCd battery "Delta Peak (rapid) Charger."
>Apparently this type of charger detects a peak in something (voltage?) when the
>battery is fully charged and automatically shuts off to avoid over charging.
>
>I am interested in any information, including pointers to papers or articles
>on the subject.

Wireless World Nov 1983 has a construction article on such a fast NiCd charger.

It alternately charges and discharges the cells until the peak charge and
discharge voltages begin to diverge; it then switches to standby.

The article claims that it is "capable of charging all common cell types in
an hour or so, with a single switch to accommodate batteries of different
sizes." The charging is not affected by the number of cells in series.

I have not made one of these but except for a few parts substitutions
(BC transistors, a diode or two and a toroidal ferrite core) it looks
fairly routine.

For only &7 (7 pounds) you can order a ready-drilled glass fibre printed
circuit board.

PS Are we related?

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmt

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (08/23/89)

Last month's 73 Magazine (ham radio) has a pulse Ni Cad battery charger
design for rapid charging without overheating.