[sci.electronics] Electric cars? Start with wheelchairs.

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) (08/18/89)

There has been a bit of discussion about electric cars
and their future use.  I would like to suggest that
there is a clear and present market of 'electric cars'
and they could benefit from improvements.

A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  It is, in all
important respects, a miniature electric car.  It has
steering, batteries, electric motors, etc.  It also has
a rather old an crude level of technology.

It has no built in charger.  Why?  If she is at school (she
teaches) she must monitor her power usage.  If it get's too
low she is stuck.  There is no small portable WEATHERPROOF
battery charger that could be tucked under the chair for use
in such a problematic situation.  It cannot be recharged from
her van.  She has a fully custom driving station built into
her van, yet it has no provision to charge the chair while
in motion.  On at least one occasion she 'ran out of juice'
on the way to her van.  A kind passer by wheeled her into
her van so that she could drive home.  Then she had to wait
for someone to notice her in the van to wheel her into the
house to the battery charger.  This is barbaric.

It uses plain old lead acid batteries.  I would think that
a safer and more effective battery could be identified ...
At the very least lead-acid gel cells would be less prone
to acid leakage.

To get real exstream, there is a fixed (and rather small) range
to the on-board battery.  Why is their no 'power trailer' that
could be pulled behind the chair with either more batteries
or even a small generator?  (Come-on you 'hybrid electric'
folks, surely you can come up with a small, QUIET generator
or fuel cell).

Yes, I'm frustrated to watch a friend deal with limitations
of technology that seem to me to be bogus.  There are so
many known technologies that could be used to make the
electric wheelchair more functional.  It is an excellent
place for the electric car folks to prove their concepts.
After all, the customer is already sold on electric vehicles
and would love to have ANY improvements!

So tell me, why are electric wheelchairs at the trailing
rather than the leading edge of electric vehicle technology?

--

E. Michael Smith  ems@apple.COM

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

--

spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (08/18/89)

From article <3659@internal.Apple.COM>, by ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith):
> A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  It is, in all
> important respects, a miniature electric car.  It has
> steering, batteries, electric motors, etc.  It also has
> a rather old an crude level of technology.

> It has no built in charger.

Sears carries fairly lightweight 12-volt chargers.  Space may be
a problem, but she could probably find one less than 10x6x6".
If nothing else, she might want to keep one at school.

> It cannot be recharged from her van.

Of course it can!  All she needs is a connector (probably dashboard
mounted).  The alternator and voltage regulator of the van will do
the rest.  This is the same principle as jumper cables.  Hooking a
dead car's battery to a live car's battery allows the live one's
battery (and alternator) to charge the dead one.  You could probably
rig up a connector to do this for your friend, and it sounds like
it would be much appreciated.

> It uses plain old lead acid batteries.

In the above I've assumed that these are 12-volt.  If they are
6-volt she should either by a 1940s van (just kidding) or she'll
need a convertor in her dashboard connection.  Still no big deal.

> To get real exstream, there is a fixed (and rather small) range
> to the on-board battery.  Why is their no 'power trailer' that
> could be pulled behind the chair with either more batteries.

It sounds like this is something you could easily build yourself.

> So tell me, why are electric wheelchairs at the trailing
> rather than the leading edge of electric vehicle technology?
> 'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

I am not disagreeing with you - such techologies should certainly
be a part of the wheelchair product.  But with your friend's interest
at heart, and your Disney quote in mind, I offer these suggestions
so that you can help her situation improve.

Steve Frysinger

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Otero) (08/19/89)

Hmmm. Not that difficult, actually, I'm surprised it hasn't been done.
To recharge off a car system might be awkward unless you upgrade the
alternator, but a couple of hefty voltage regulators to limit current flow
to 10% of the Amp-hour rating of the battery should do quite nicely off a
car voltage, plus a few parallel diodes to make sure no reverse flow happens
if the voltage is higher than the car. And a fuse just in case something
blows.... Take a look at the National Semiconductor LM117 for something that
can dissipate 20 watts easily, and only costs a few dollars. There is even a
good design for a constant-voltage, constant current recharger included in
the manual. This is what you really want for lead acids. Let me know if I
should post it.

Off of 120 Volt house current, I would suggest a separate AC/DC converter
and use the same voltage regulator. Power One makes good ones, but anyone
should be able to whip you up *something* if you don't care too much about
precision outputs.

I suspect the major problem would be water-proofing and idiot-proofing it.
(What if I stuck my tongue in the socket and lightning hits the cord? That
sort of thing....) I just put a recharge circuit into some medical
equipment, and the safety standards are astonishing. The only way someone
can get fried with these standards is if they douse it in gasoline, shove
their head in, and light a match inside.

If your friend would like, I can send circuit diagrams. It's about an
afternoon's work to do, and would probably cost $50-$100 with case. Call it
6" cubed. Would that be reasonable?

--
			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/19/89)

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) writes:

>So tell me, why are electric wheelchairs at the trailing
>rather than the leading edge of electric vehicle technology?

As depressing as it seems, I suspect this is so because the
application of technology is in direct proportion to overall
demand and potential profit rather than sympathy.  The same
is true for wonder drugs that only a few people need - mass
producing them is not profitable because not enough people
need them.  (i.e. not enough people are physically crippled)

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/19/89)

In article <3659@internal.Apple.COM> ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) writes:
}A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  ...

}It has no built in charger.  Why?  If she is at school (she
}teaches) she must monitor her power usage.  If it get's too
}low she is stuck.  ...

CSU, Northridge, at least, has addressed the problem.  They have a room on
campus dedicated to recharging wheelchairs.  The electricity's free and, I
think, they have chargers available.

What keeps your friend from buying a trickle charger and carrying it with
her?  They're small, light weight and inexpensive.  Available at most auto
parts stores.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (08/19/89)

In article <1526@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>From article <3659@internal.Apple.COM>, by ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith):
>> A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  It is, in all
>> It cannot be recharged from her van.
>
>Of course it can!  All she needs is a connector (probably dashboard
>mounted).  The alternator and voltage regulator of the van will do
>the rest.  This is the same principle as jumper cables.  Hooking a
>dead car's battery to a live car's battery allows the live one's
>battery (and alternator) to charge the dead one.  You could probably
>rig up a connector to do this for your friend, and it sounds like
>it would be much appreciated.

It probably shouldn't be hooked up direct: maybe one of the "splitter"
boxes used on RV setups would be the way to go.  These gizzies are
esentialy a couple of diodes which allow both batteries to be charged
by the alternator without having the relatively well charged (starting)
battery dump mucho current into the relatively discharged (lighting, etc)
battery, on in this case the wheel-chair battery.

No real "science" here - just looks like an application for existing
stuff just waiting to happen.

(all this assuming a 12-volt system on the wheelchair)

							-bill
							wlbrown@lbl.gov

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with the
    official policy or management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't care
    less about employees who play with trains.

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/19/89)

spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:

>Sears carries fairly lightweight 12-volt chargers.  Space may be
                                  ^^^^^^^

I don't know too much about wheel chairs, but electric cars are certainly
not 12-volt systems.  If her system were even 24-volts (2 car batteries
in series maybe) this whole idea goes out the window and replaced with a
lot of complication.  Well, a DC-to-DC converter at the least so she could
get a jump start...  :-)

--

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) (08/19/89)

In article <3637@helios.ee.lbl.gov> wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) writes:
>In article <1526@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>>From article <3659@internal.Apple.COM>, by ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith):
>>> A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  It is, in all
>>> It cannot be recharged from her van.
>>
>>Of course it can!  All she needs is a connector (probably dashboard
>>mounted).  The alternator and voltage regulator of the van will do
>>the rest.  This is the same principle as jumper cables.  Hooking a
>>dead car's battery to a live car's battery allows the live one's
>>battery (and alternator) to charge the dead one.  You could probably
>>rig up a connector to do this for your friend, and it sounds like
>>it would be much appreciated.
>>

>It probably shouldn't be hooked up direct: maybe one of the "splitter"
>boxes used on RV setups would be the way to go.  These gizzies are
>esentialy a couple of diodes which allow both batteries to be charged
>by the alternator without having the relatively well charged (starting)
>battery dump mucho current into the relatively discharged (lighting, etc)
>battery, on in this case the wheel-chair battery.
>
>No real "science" here - just looks like an application for existing
>stuff just waiting to happen.
>
>(all this assuming a 12-volt system on the wheelchair)

Ahh, and therin lies the rub ... Chairs have funny connectors from
the batteries to the control harness.  They are decidedly NOT designed
to be plugged and unplugged by a person with limited arm mobility (just
the kind of person who needs an electric wheelchair). They do funny
things to connect the two 12 volt batteries into one 24 volt source.

The person in question cannot REACH the dash.  There is a custom
control/steering panel that moves to her lap when the chair locks
down.  She cannot put force into a plug (push or pull) but can
push buttons and move a joystick.

The usual behaviour is to have one's 'attendant' unplug the batteries
and hook up the charger ... The desired behaviour is to roll into the
existing custom chair lockdown and have it automatically hook up a
charging circuit.

It also isn't just a matter of getting a Sears Best charger and slinging
it under the chair ... The chair often gets WET in the rain.  Would YOU
want to sit on top of a wet metal chair with the typical wide open
charger box (vent slits) dripping onto the batteries ?

So one needs a Very Smart charger to figure out what voltage it is being
fed (12v, or 110, or?) and turn it into what is needed (12 v x 2 batteries
or 24 v and charge them in series?).  It should also be small, light
weight, relatively flat, not get very HOT in operation (efficient),
and MUST be WEATHERPROOF.  It also would need to be able to automatically
cut out the control feed during charging ( since controls must be 24 v,
not the 12v from 2 parallel batteries ) and it should default to returning
control and stopping charging if anything looks funny (i.e. if it thinks
it or something else is broken it should get out of the way and return
control to the operator, like in a power outage from the charging supply).

Oh yes, and it must not overcharge the batteries at all.

It isn't quite as easy as it looks at first glance...  My hardware
skills aren't quite good enough to design such a device, but I would
be willing to finance construction ... and my wheelchair using friend
has volunteered to try out the product.

Mike

--

In article <5481@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <3659@internal.Apple.COM> ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) writes:
>}A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  ...
>
>}It has no built in charger.  Why?  If she is at school (she
>}teaches) she must monitor her power usage.  If it get's too
>}low she is stuck.  ...
>
>What keeps your friend from buying a trickle charger and carrying it with
>her?  They're small, light weight and inexpensive.  Available at most auto
>parts stores.

Chairs do not use the standard means of charging.  Their is a 'funny
connector' that the charger plugs into.  Lets a single 12v charger
charge 2 12v batteries that are used in series as a 24v source to
the chair.  The alternative is to unbolt the battery covers and
undo the cables at the batteries.  UCK.  It would be possible to
put the funny connector onto a 'small' charger, but remember that
the chair is not mobile while the charger is connected and that the
person in the chair is there because she has very limited use of
her arms.  i.e. no significant force or movement at odd angles.
So you need something that the average 'good Sam' passing by can't
screw up or be confused by (which isn't the standard connector on
the chair ...).  What you need is a regular wall outlet plug on
a 12ft or so cable that is hooked into a permanently affixed object
on the chair that automatically does all the 'plugging' when it
senses 110 VAC on it's input cable.

--

E. Michael Smith  ems@apple.COM

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

miker@orca.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Reiney) (08/19/89)

I really enjoy reading these articles.  With all the
conservationist discussions going on in this newsgroup, why is it
necessary to repost the original article and followups in every
followup article?   Ditto for all the cute signature lines and
disclaimers.
Wonder how much energy is required to post and for everyone to
read one extra word?

deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) (08/21/89)

In article <169@nwnexus.WA.COM> edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) writes:
>spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>
>>Sears carries fairly lightweight 12-volt chargers.  Space may be
>                                  ^^^^^^^
>
>I don't know too much about wheel chairs, but electric cars are certainly
>not 12-volt systems.  If her system were even 24-volts (2 car batteries
>in series maybe) this whole idea goes out the window and replaced with a
>lot of complication.  Well, a DC-to-DC converter at the least so she could
>get a jump start...  :-)

Why?  If it IS two car batteries, then just charge them one at a time.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could rig a large 4 pin connector that
had both terminals of both batteries.  When plugged into the wheel chair,
they  are wired in series.  When plugged into the dash charger, they would
be wired as two independent batteries, each being independently charged by
individual chargers from one alternator.

If it is a single 24 volt battery, that would be a problem, but I believe
you can get custom wound alternators for such things (I even seem to remember
reading about a fan belt driven, 117 volt generator available as an option on
some VERY old Ford Thunder-Chickens :-)

just my 2 cents worth - standard disclaimer
--
Dean Reece (deanr@sco.COM)
The Santa Cruz Operation, Santa Cruz, CA 95010

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) (08/22/89)

In article <169@nwnexus.WA.COM> edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) writes:
>spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:

>>Sears carries fairly lightweight 12-volt chargers.  Space may be
                                  ^^^^^^^
>I don't know too much about wheel chairs, but electric cars are certainly
>not 12-volt systems.  If her system were even 24-volts (2 car batteries

The system is, indeed, 24 VDC.  Two twelve volt deep cycle leadacid
batteries in series.  There is a 'funny plug' that connects them to
the control harness in series.  It also connects them to the home
charger in parallel, but not at the same time ...

>in series maybe) this whole idea goes out the window and replaced with a
>lot of complication.  Well, a DC-to-DC converter at the least so she could
>get a jump start...  :-)

The 'dream charger' would be a DC to DC converter (with an AC -> DC
rectifier front end for household use) that used switching circuitry
to reduce heat generation and reduce transformer size to the small side.
The whole thing sealed in a waterproof metal enclosure with weatherproof
cables.  Then it could run from [{any Hz.}110vac,220vac,12vdc,24vdc,etc. ...)

--

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (08/22/89)

In article <1526@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>From article <3659@internal.Apple.COM>, by ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith):
>> A friend is in an electric wheelchair.  It is, in all
>> It cannot be recharged from her van.
>Of course it can!  All she needs is a connector (probably dashboard
>mounted).  The alternator and voltage regulator of the van will do the rest.

I have a friend who is wheelchair bound and has some similar problems.
His chair uses 2 12V deep cycle marine batteries in series for a 24Volt
supply.  He also has a customized van with no charger.
There are several ways that the batteries could be charged from the van:

1: The inefficient, easy way - use an inverter to convert the 12V from the
van up to 110 VAC and run the normal charger off of that.

2: The slightly less inefficient way - Make a custom inverter/dc supply that
can generate around 28 V from 12 V and charge the batteries with that.

3: The tricky but efficient way: - Build some switching arrangement on the
two 12V batteries so that they can both be charged in parallel directly
from the alternator.  Some kind of current limiting/schottky diode scheme
would probably be necessary to prevent killing the alternator or having
a charged battery dump too much juice into a dead battery.

Personally, I would try #2 first because it requires the least modification
to the chair.

My friend's wheelchair uses a very inefficient switching method to give him
speed adjustment.  The current is either run directly to the motor (fast)
or run through a giant nichrome resistor (slow).  I am currently checking
out some IRFZ40-ND Hexfets to see if they can hold up in a pulse-width
modulated switching circuit so that he can have continuously adjustable
speed.

 ^   ^  Forrest Cook - Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers - LB
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.ucar.edu (The preceeding was all my OPINION)
/|\ /|\ {husc6|rutgers|ames|gatech}!ncar!stout!cook
/|\ /|\ {uunet|ucbvax|allegra|cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook

wordy@cup.portal.com (Steven K Roberts) (08/22/89)

I can't help but wonder why nobody ever mentions solar power in
discussions like this.  The Solarex SX-LITE panels weigh about 2
pounds and put out 18 watts, at a retail cost of $175 or so.  Admittedly
this is not cheap, but that's 1.2 amps per panel of charge
current (they're scaled for direct connection to 12V batteries,
and can be series-connected for 24).  Application is trivial...
sunlight in, two wires out.  Add a schottky to prevent dark discharge
and you're done, unless the panels are substantially more robust
than the batteries, in which case a controller is required.
  Solarex is at 800-521-SOLA and a Bay Area distributor is Energy
Depot at 415-499-1333 in San Rafael.
   Cheers...
  Steven K. Roberts
  Nomadic Research Labs

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Otero) (08/22/89)

In article <21503@cup.portal.com>, wordy@cup.portal.com (Steven K Roberts) writes:
> I can't help but wonder why nobody ever mentions solar power in
> discussions like this.

Sudden images of Cutter John and the crew of the Star Chair Enterprise,
wheeling actoss Bloom County at Warp 87.... In real life, though, wheel
chairs are unwieldy enough without solar panel umbrellas. The point of the
problem is to make things easier to handle and portable, not make it larger
and more unwieldy.

I liked the one gentleman's idea about different connectors for use and
recharging, linking them in parallel persus series. But didn't the original
poster mention that the user had little upper body strength or mobility?
It's kind o' awkward to pull apart good sealed connectors.

So, why not put in a DPDT relay at the recharge circuit that switches the
poles of one of the batteries? The relay only goes on if there is 12 V
recharge voltage. And maybe another relay at a 110 volt source, to connect
that converter/recharger instead.

And there is a very good reason not to recharge one battery at a time: A
deeply discharged lead-acid in series with a fully charged one can have a
reverse charge put on it by the charged one. This is very bad for
lead-acids.... Manufacturers *laugh* at warranties if you try this.

--

georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) (08/23/89)

+In an article the original poster writes about recharging 24V systems:

+The system is, indeed, 24 VDC.  Two twelve volt deep cycle leadacid
+batteries in series.  There is a 'funny plug' that connects them to
+the control harness in series.  It also connects them to the home
+charger in parallel, but not at the same time ...
+

24V chargers are available for aircraft.  They are somewhat more
expensive than automobile chargers just because they say 'airplane'.

You might also look for a golf cart charger.

geo

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (08/23/89)

In article <21503@cup.portal.com> wordy@cup.portal.com (Steven K Roberts) writes:
>I can't help but wonder why nobody ever mentions solar power in
>discussions like this.  The Solarex SX-LITE panels weigh about 2
>pounds and put out 18 watts, at a retail cost of $175 or so.  Admittedly
>this is not cheap, but that's 1.2 amps per panel of charge
>current (they're scaled for direct connection to 12V batteries,

For the same reason nobody mentions a squirrel in a cage or a crank generator
or dry cells. None of these have within an order of magnitude of the needed
current to charge these batteries.

Hmm, letssee... typical deep discharge 12 volt battery is 100 amp-hours.  At
1.8 amps charging, one would need about 55 hours of sunlight a day (assuming
100% effeciency) to recharge the thing.  Funny, I misplaced my collection
of 72 hour days.  All I have now are 24 hour one.  Won't work.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/23/89)

In article <3736@internal.Apple.COM> ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) writes:
|The system is, indeed, 24 VDC.  Two twelve volt deep cycle leadacid
|batteries in series.  There is a 'funny plug' that connects them to
|the control harness in series.  It also connects them to the home
|charger in parallel, but not at the same time ...
|
|The 'dream charger' would be a DC to DC converter (with an AC -> DC
|rectifier front end for household use) that used switching circuitry
|to reduce heat generation and reduce transformer size to the small side.
|The whole thing sealed in a waterproof metal enclosure with weatherproof
|cables.  Then it could run from [{any Hz.}110vac,220vac,12vdc,24vdc,etc. ...)

Why make it so complicated? Seems like a straightforward application
of relays to switch the batteries from the operating 24 volt series
mode to a charging 12 volt parallel mode combined with a cheap trickle
charger from an auto parts store would do the trick. (excepting the
220 thing.)
--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Today surgeons are highly respected but they were once just grave robbers."

wordy@cup.portal.com (Steven K Roberts) (08/28/89)

John DeArmond pointed out, quite correctly, that my solar panel
suggestion is of the wrong scale for powering a wheelchair.  I probably
should have clarified -- using solar would be pointless without a
"real" charger as well.... but it is a not-insignificant trickle that
could significantly extend range when outdoors.  On my bicycle, I have
a 72-watt array plus two isolated 10-watt panels --- almost 8 amps
worth of 12 volts (actually about 7 of a higher voltage for charging).
  The cost/performance ratio is dubious and it takes up a lot of
space for a wheelchair, but still... I'll wager there's someone out
there who could take advantage of this approach (coupled, of course,
with a line cord and traditional charger).