[sci.electronics] Re^4: Through-plating PCB's

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (08/31/89)

vince@mplvax.EDU (Vince Pavlicek) writes:

>In article <6684@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
>	Last etcher we bought from Keppro (smallest one they make)
>was over $600!!! Thru plating is tedious, chemically particular and
>expensive unless you are doing a lot of boards. We do 10 to 30 double-
>sided, non-plated-thru-hole prototypes a year and go outside for production.

Expensive depends on the point of view, I guess.  600 bux is not that much
to invest in either a commercial or serious hobby environment.  I built my
equipment after buying one Kepro etcher but it rarely gets used anymore.

I wanted to stress your last point.  With PC-based CAD, and automated
production facilities, it's very hard to compete with the job shops.
The fab shop I use has a BBS where I call in and upload my board file
(native format, NOT gerber output).  Typical cost for 48 hour turnaround
on medium sized boards (<2000 holes) is in the 3-600 dollar range.
That gets me 3 doublesided, tinplated, thruhole plated, silkscreened, and
soldermasked boards.  Not too shabby.  I'd be hard-pressed to achieve
that kind of precision at any cost in my shop.  I still make an occasional
board when only one is needed and it is too simple to justify the NRE
costs at the fab shop.  But that's getting rarer and rarer.

The shop I use is Colt Technologies in Kansas.  913 888 1673.  Usual
disclaimers apply.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You