[sci.electronics] Kirillian photography

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (08/11/89)

From article <10719@kean.mun.ca>, by andrew@kean.mun.ca:
> My first (and really only) experience with hive voltage was when I built a
> little device for making Kirillian photographs.  It wasn't that bad... only
> around 25kV.  Anyway, for those that don't know the Kirillian setup:

Out of interest - what results did you get ? This is a subject that has
always facinated me. But books on the subject tend too be a little
sketchy on the actual equipment - to stop people playing with HV perhaps ?

Maybe our friend at uk.ac.ed can take some piccies the next time he tries to
electrocute himself - though I doubt if there would be much of an aura in
the brain region if he did :-) :-) :-)

-Pete French.

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (08/11/89)

In article <320@galadriel.bt.co.uk> I wrote...

> Maybe our friend at uk.ac.ed can take some piccies the next time he tries to
> electrocute himself - though I doubt if there would be much of an aura in
> the brain region if he did :-) :-) :-)

I retract this now that he has revealed that he was kidding all along.
Sadly though there _are_ people in the world who test mains with their
fingers. (but not for much longer....)

-Pete French.

andrew@kean.mun.ca (08/20/89)

> Out of interest - what results did you get ? This is a subject that has
> always facinated me. But books on the subject tend too be a little
> sketchy on the actual equipment - to stop people playing with HV perhaps ?

Well, not much really. Some sketchy blobs in black and white.  It was more fun
watching the discharge around my hand than what the film shows.

-Andrew.  <andrew@kean.mun.ca>

paulh@hplsla.HP.COM (Paul Hall) (08/23/89)

Way back in seventh grade, I did a science fair project with a kit from
Edmond Scientific.  It had a piezoelectric crystal that I think sent out
around 18,000V and would arc about 3/8".  I nailed that to a 2x4 and
attached the lead to a copper clad PC board, put some 35mm film over it,
and it worked.

I don't have any real opinions as to what I saw, but it did look an awful
lot like the standard pictures you see in books.  The discharge was
generally blue with red streaks and extended out from my finger for about
1/8" to 1/4".  You could see it with your eyes if you looked real close -
I still remember getting arcs to the tip of my nose when I looked *too*
close.

Just about anything you put on the film would light up, fingers, coins,
etc.  There's a clasic experiment where you cut a leaf in half and the
missing half shows up in the picture - I wasn't able to see that one.
Maybe I didn't have enough voltage!

	Paul.
-----
     Paul Hall - M/S 330 - (206) 335-2252 - paulh%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com
	   Lake Stevens Instrument Division, Hewlett-Packard Co.
		8600 Soper Hill Road, Everett WA 98205-1298

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (08/24/89)

In article <5170055@hplsla.HP.COM> paulh@hplsla.HP.COM (Paul Hall) writes:
>Just about anything you put on the film would light up, fingers, coins,
>etc.  There's a clasic experiment where you cut a leaf in half and the
>missing half shows up in the picture - I wasn't able to see that one.
>Maybe I didn't have enough voltage!
>
>	Paul.

No, you probably didn't cut the leaf while it was resting on the film.  If you
had then the moisture would still be there for a while, and the other
leaf half would have "shown up".  Not so amazing.

--
David A Honig

aj-mberg@dasys1.UUCP (Micha Berger) (08/31/89)

What is Kirillian photography? It seems to be some kind of high-voltage
experiment involving Kodak paper and OMNI magazine. Can anyone give me
more information??
--
					Micha Berger

"Always should [the child of] Adam have awe of G-d in secret and in public,
admit the truth, and speak truth in his heart."