[sci.electronics] Fisher Consumer Products

Chuck_SirVAX_Staatse@cup.portal.com (07/18/89)

Does anyone know why Fisher VCRs and stereos command such
a high price while at the same time providing such terrible
service.  My VCR went in for a bad tuner; it took 8 weeks for
the part to come in.  Now it has a bad power supply and
has been in the shop for four weeks (clock is still running).
This is a $650 VCR that is only two years old!
As a result of my Fisher experience I've come up with a
purchasing set of rules:
    1) Don't buy Fisher
    2) If you do buy Fisher, make sure you get a service
       contract.
    3) If you get a service contract, make sure it provides
       a loaner unit while the Fisher is waiting for parts.
       (Make sure the loaner is not a Fisher).
    4) Don't buy Fisher!!

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (08/15/89)

In article <20549@cup.portal.com> Chuck_SirVAX_Staatse@cup.portal.com writes:
}Does anyone know why Fisher VCRs and stereos command such
}a high price while at the same time providing such terrible
}service.  My VCR went in for a bad tuner; it took 8 weeks for
}the part to come in.  Now it has a bad power supply and
}has been in the shop for four weeks (clock is still running).
}This is a $650 VCR that is only two years old!
}As a result of my Fisher experience I've come up with a
}purchasing set of rules:
}    1) Don't buy Fisher
}    2) If you do buy Fisher, make sure you get a service
}       contract.
}    3) If you get a service contract, make sure it provides
}       a loaner unit while the Fisher is waiting for parts.
}       (Make sure the loaner is not a Fisher).
}    4) Don't buy Fisher!!

Fisher does not make VCRs.  They're made by other companies to Fisher's
specifications.  I have seen Fisher equipment made by Yamaha, Matsushita,
but usually by Sanyo.  Caveat Emptor.
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

peg@psuecl.bitnet (09/03/89)

In article <9728@fluke.COM>, strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
> In article <20549@cup.portal.com> Chuck_SirVAX_Staatse@cup.portal.com writes:
> }    1) Don't buy Fisher
> }    2) If you do buy Fisher, make sure you get a service
> }       contract.
> }    3) If you get a service contract, make sure it provides
> }       a loaner unit while the Fisher is waiting for parts.
> }       (Make sure the loaner is not a Fisher).
> }    4) Don't buy Fisher!!
>
> Fisher does not make VCRs.  They're made by other companies to Fisher's
> specifications.  I have seen Fisher equipment made by Yamaha, Matsushita,
> but usually by Sanyo.  Caveat Emptor.
> --
>
> Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

Norm is right.  There is a "Fisher" plant near here that is quite
clearly signed "Sanyo" now.  I am sure poor Mr. Fisher (whoever he
is/was) would be upset at what has become of his name.  So don't
buy Sanyo, even if it is stamped "Fisher" !!

Paul Ganter
State College, PA