[sci.electronics] Ionizing Radiation from Video Displays

asanders@adobe.COM (Alan Sanders) (08/29/89)

I have recently heard a totally unconfirmed rumor linking computer use to
brain tumors. Needless to say, even the suggestion of such a thing is
frightening. Could someone please summarize what is known about possible
health risks from the ionizing radiation produced by computer video displays?

Alan
asanders@adobe.com

asanders@adobe.COM (Alan Sanders) (08/29/89)

I have heard a completely unconfirmed rumor linking computer use to brain
tumors. Needless to say, even the suggestion of such a thing is frightening.
Can someone summarize what is known about the possible health risks of
exposure to the radiation produced by computer video displays?

Alan
asanders@adobe.com

In article <1124@adobe.UUCP> asanders@adobe.COM (Alan Sanders) writes:
>I have heard a completely unconfirmed rumor linking computer use to brain
>tumors. Needless to say, even the suggestion of such a thing is frightening.
>Can someone summarize what is known about the possible health risks of
>exposure to the radiation produced by computer video displays?

There has been a lot of fuss about it, with electrical and magnetic fields
the latest hypothetical villain (since most of the others have been shot
down by the fact that the monitors demonstrably don't generate enough
radiation to be dangerous).  The jury is still out.  Before panicking,
compare statistics for VDT workers to those for TV program directors,
who also spend long hours staring into video monitors at close range.
(Hint:  no bizarre medical problems have been reported among them.)

Health risks are *much* more likely to be related to non-radiation issues
like eyestrain and bad posture; those are known to be real problems.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (08/29/89)

RE: Ionizing radiation from computers.

You'll get more ionizing radiation from standing outdoors for 15 minutes
than you'll get from sitting at a phosphor display for 8 hours.
Sources: U.S. Naval Radcon school.

Sounds like there is some really *HUNGRY* research weenie out there
trying to scare you into buying his/her book to support his lifestyle.

= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =

aj-mberg@dasys1.UUCP (Micha Berger) (09/06/89)

I heard on a radio talk show about the harmfull effects of electro-magnetic
fields. The Doctor being interv... I mean the guy plugging his book, said
he wouldn't use an electric blanket because of prolonged exposure to EMF
fields. Should we be going back to grounded metal casings? Maybe we should
wire our heating elements to minimize inductance (and therefor magnetic
fields). I don't know.... Sounds like hocum to me.
--
					Micha Berger

"Always should [the child of] Adam have awe of G-d in secret and in public,
admit the truth, and speak truth in his heart."