[sci.electronics] Video antenna

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (09/06/89)

I would like to replace rabbit ears with a bigger, flat, rotatable, more
directional antenna on the room's ceiling.  I'd like to use thin wires and
possibly a slender fiberglass hoop (max. possible diameter = 92 inches) to
suspend them within.  Both VHF and UHF reception are necessary.  I have not
found anything like this commercially.  Can someone suggest why it is or is not
possible?  And if possible, can you point me at information about a pattern and
wire lengths?  Is there a problem with skin effect for thin wires?  Should the
wires be solid or stranded?  Is there a problem with getting one design to have
better performance than rabbit ears for both VHF and UHF?  Any help, or
pointers to help, much appreciated.

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (09/06/89)

In article <45217@bbn.COM>, sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
> I would like to replace rabbit ears with a bigger, flat, rotatable, more
> directional antenna on the room's ceiling.  I'd like to use thin wires and
> possibly a slender fiberglass hoop (max. possible diameter = 92 inches) to

	It probably won't work worth a poot, simply because your body is
going to act like a parasitic radiator and change the antenna's gain
characteristics.

	Fortunately, RCA do make an antenna for people in this predicament.
We used (way back in 1976) to sell a weatherproof, but electrically short
directional antenna called the RCA Mini-State.  This is no substitute for
a proper full-size antenna but is very good, with a decent directional
pattern (particularly at UHF) and gain for driving the transmission
line.  It comes with a little controller that you can point the thing
via wired remote control, and is sealed in a radome.

	When I was at UNC-C we had a poor man's Yagi silly-puttied to
the roof and pulled in Greensboro stations well.  Then again, on the
tenth floor of Holshouser.....

	For UHF, try one of those things that looks like a hibachi rack
with two bow-ties on it. It's fairly directional and much better than
rabbit ears...

York David Anthony
BPH-880505OT (class C3..it's in the bag!) Wadesboro, NC