[sci.electronics] CRT vs Video Controller

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (09/06/89)

I'm looking to use my TV as a display for my 8031 microcontroller circuit.  I
know how to take a video signal and modulate it into something the TV can use
(using National's LM1889 or LM2889).

So, now I need a video generator.  I need something that can take in character
postion/values or whatever, and generate a video output that I can feed into
the modulator.  Need not have color/sound etc.

The only chip I've looked at so far is Intel's 8745 CRT controller.  But, this
, as it says, is a CRT controller and doesn't seem to output video readily...
or am I missing something?

Are the other CRT controllers (6845 etc) able to generate a composite video
signal?  Is it a composite signal that I need to modulate for the TV????

Please E-Mail me any responses and I will summarize and post the answers...

PS.  Can somebody E-Mail me the recent discussion on digitizing voice using
     1-bit circuits?

    Greg Bell_________________________________________________________
      Hardware hacker          |
      Electronics hobbyist     | UUCP:  uunet!serene!pnet12!gbell
      EE major at UC San Diego |

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (09/06/89)

In article <914@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

> I'm looking to use my TV as a display for my 8031 microcontroller circuit.  I

> The only chip I've looked at so far is Intel's 8745 CRT controller.  But, this
> , as it says, is a CRT controller and doesn't seem to output video readily...
> or am I missing something?

	I've never heard of the 8745, (work in a Motorola shop) but a chip like
the 8276H (page 6-32 of the 1988 Intel Perhipherals book) is probably similar.
All of these chips have outputs like /HRTC and /VRTC, which you can simply logically
AND (or OR, depending on the sense) to obtain your sync signal; and /VSP, which you
use as blanking.  The output of the dot clock shift register you then use as the
video signal for modulation.

	Surely someone makes (by now) a cheap CRT controller with a built - in
character ROM?

	Forget the 6845; who needs to try and get Motorola stuff to play on the
Intel bus?

York David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

eegauthe@cybaswan.UUCP (o) (09/07/89)

In article <1642@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) writes:
>In article <914@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:
>
>> I'm looking to use my TV as a display for my 8031 microcontroller circuit.  I
>
>	Forget the 6845; who needs to try and get Motorola stuff to play on the
>Intel bus?

Intel Bus for Motorola chips?	:-)

Might be a good mnemonic!
				Olivier.
--
Olivier GAUTHEROT,// Postgraduate // Electrical Engineering Dept.
University of Wales // Swansea, SA2 8PP, U.K.	(+44 792 205678 ext 4564)

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (09/08/89)

>> The only chip I've looked at so far is Intel's 8745 CRT controller.  But, this
>
>	I've never heard of the 8745, (work in a Motorola shop) but a chip like
>the 8276H (page 6-32 of the 1988 Intel Perhipherals book) is probably similar.

Whoops... yep, the 8276H is what I was thinking of.  The idea of having to
have an external character ROM was a bit discouraging....

>All of these chips have outputs like /HRTC and /VRTC, which you can simply logically
>AND (or OR, depending on the sense) to obtain your sync signal; and /VSP, which you
>use as blanking.  The output of the dot clock shift register you then use as the
>video signal for modulation.

Thanks for the info.  Now that I know its possible to use the 8745, I'll take
a closer look at the databook.
>	Surely someone makes (by now) a cheap CRT controller with a built - in
>character ROM?

You're probably right... looking through the Jameco catalog, I spotted several
$20+ controllers that must have some nice features.