[sci.electronics] Infrared remote controller decoding

liud@guille.ece.orst.edu (Dongtai Liu) (09/12/89)

I guese the IR sensor you have used is a photo transistor instead of a
photo diode. The rise/fall time of a photo transistor is around 30-1000
us, depending on the sensitivity and load condition. Usually IR remote
controller use PCM modulation with carrier frequencies varying from
30kHz to 80 kHz square pulse trains. You mentioned you have seen sine
wave signal, that means your circuit filtered out the high frequency
components of the signal and the resulting signal lost details.

I suggest that you try a PIN photo diode. Since the sensitivity of PIN
diodes are much lower than photo transistors, an op-amp stage would be
necessary to amplify the signal.

Another way to decipher the coding is to check the data sheet of the
chip used in the controller unit. Signetics and Motorola data book
have detailed description about typical IR controllers. As I remember,
the mechanisms are similar although there are two types of modulation
scheme: PCM and FM. Good luck.

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (09/12/89)

In article <12459@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, liud@guille.ece.orst.edu (Dongtai Liu) writes:

> I suggest that you try a PIN photo diode. Since the sensitivity of PIN
> diodes are much lower than photo transistors, an op-amp stage would be
> necessary to amplify the signal.

I can second this one.  When I was experimenting with IR receivers
I found that "typical" bipolar phototransistors and photodiodes
(i.e. from Radio Shack) were both too slow for this application.
PIN diodes worked fine however.

There is  chip made by Motorola, the MC3373, that is designed to
connect directly to a PIN photodiode and provide all the necessary
buffering and amplification.  I have never used it, but from
looking at app. notes, it should be very easy to use.  I believe
it is sold by other manufacturers as the 1373.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.