[sci.electronics] Adding speed control to cassette deck

mak@seneca.crd.ge.com (Michael A. Kinstrey) (09/12/89)

I want a half-speed cassette deck for practicing guitar
with, and the available decks with this option are way
overpriced.

I want to install this option on an existing deck. Are
there any warnings to heed before attempting this? I would
be adding a pot of some kind to the motor control, but some (most?)
decks have a speed monitor circuit which regulates
speed fluctutations.

I will be doing the mods to a CHEAP deck, walkman, or player.

I have an OK understanding of circuitry and electronics, and
have done several small projects and modifications to boards.

My questions:
  1) Do the cheap walkman-type players and office-use tape players
     (< $40) have the speed control monitor?

  2) If not, is the job as easy as installing a pot to the motor?
     If the speed monitor has to be bypassed, where is the best place?

  3) What kind of effect will the varying voltage and speed have on
     the life of the motor? Dramatic or only slightly?

  4) Do these type of motors only operate under a tight range of voltage?

I will be using the 1/2 speed option quite a bit.
           |  Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until  |
           |              you can find a rock.                   |
 ____      |_____________________________________________________|
 \   \  /\                          |        mak@seneca.crd.ge.com
  \   \/  \/\                  +++  |        uunet!seneca.crd.ge.com!mak
  <  ]|| / |==================<:::> |UUCP:   mak@seneca.UUCP
  /   /\  /\/ take me down,    +++  |ARPA:   mak%seneca.tcpip@ge-crd.ARPA
 /___/  \/      slow, and easy...   |DECNET: kinstreyma%aslvax.decnet@crdmail
____________________________________|_________________________________________

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (09/12/89)

In article <2245@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> mak@seneca.UUCP (Michael A. Kinstrey) writes:
>I want a half-speed cassette deck for practicing guitar
>I will be doing the mods to a CHEAP deck, walkman, or player.
>I have an OK understanding of circuitry and electronics, and
>have done several small projects and modifications to boards.
>
>My questions:
>  1) Do the cheap walkman-type players and office-use tape players
>     (< $40) have the speed control monitor?
>
>  2) If not, is the job as easy as installing a pot to the motor?
>     If the speed monitor has to be bypassed, where is the best place?

I've adjusted the speed on two different "Walkman" (probably somebodys'
TM!) tape player/recorders.  They started playing at too high a speed, altho
(WARNING - EDITORIAL COMMENT) I'm not sure that was a bad thing given the
stuff my kids listen to.  Gets it over with quicker! (END OF COMMENT).
There was a pot on the p.c. board that adjusted the speed of the tape and
apparently just go crudded up and opened, opening the servo loop.  Twisting
it back and forth a couple of times cleaned up the contact and I was able
to adjust the speed.  I don't know what the range of adjustment was, but
even if it isn't enough you should be able to trace out the circuit and maybe
change a resistor value to get the range you want.

>  3) What kind of effect will the varying voltage and speed have on
>     the life of the motor? Dramatic or only slightly?

I'd be surprised if it made any noticable difference.
>  4) Do these type of motors only operate under a tight range of voltage?

I think that they are usually Perm. Magnet motors - they have a wide speed
range and fairly good speed regulation; that is for a given applied voltage
the speed if fairly constant over a modest range of torque.  Since they seem
to be driven by a servo of some sort (I'm not sure how they derive the,
feedback, hmmm gotta look into that) you should have no big problem.

						-bill
						wlbrown@lbl.gov

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with the
    official policy or management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't care
    less about employees who play with trains.