[sci.electronics] Need pointers to PC Spectrum Analyzer board

dgs@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (David G. Schwartz) (09/06/89)

I have a friend who is starting a company and he has a need for an IBM
compatible plug-in board with software to do audio frequency spectrum
analysis for psycho-acoustic R&D.

If anyone can help by providing pointers for sources for such a device
I would appreciate the information.

Please respond by email as I only read comp.sys.ibm.pc out of the groups
I've posted this to.

Thanx for your indulgence, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
--
Life is so complicated, if we could just get a look at the source code ....
  WEST:  {hp-sdd,ucsd,nosc.arpa,dcdwest,pyramid}!ncr-sd!

gordon@boulder.Colorado.EDU (GORDON ALLEN R) (09/12/89)

In article <1011@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> dgs@swdev.UUCP (David G. Schwartz) writes:
>I have a friend who is starting a company and he has a need for an IBM
>compatible plug-in board with software to do audio frequency spectrum
>analysis for psycho-acoustic R&D.
>
>If anyone can help by providing pointers for sources for such a device
>I would appreciate the information.

In lieu of any info about budget and assuming you have an A/D board, one way to
go is to get an array processor such as the DT7010 or DT7020 from Data Trans-
lation.  Software is available for FFT calculation.  The 1st board can do a
1K FFT in about 30msec (floating point).  The other board is about 2x faster
and has a new interface for direct connection to their new A/D boards which
bypases the relatively slow AT buss.  I have been using the DT7010 board and
while the documentation is ok, the technical support from Data Translation is
wretched, the board works great.

A cheaper way to go is via software,albeit much more slowly.  On an AT at about
8 MHz with a '287 coprocessor, algorithms are available to do 1K FFT's in about
2 seconds or so.

You might also contact Morton Orentlicher @ 212-490-6640 about a board his com-
pany produces.  Tell him I told you to call.

By the way, I have no direct connection with either company, blah, blah blah.

Good luck

Allen Gordon
wr

jgk@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (joseph.g.klinger) (09/13/89)

First, get a Metra-Byte catalog (508)880-3000
They've got some nice A/D/A cards and decent software packages.

Ariel (201)249-2900
Ariel has a decent card, the DSP-16, which has a 16 Bit A/D/A
and a TMS320C25 running at 40 MHz.  But the software leaves a lot
to be desired.

Math Works (508)653-1415.
A great software package is PC Matlab.
This is serious software that you definitly should consider although it's
not as flashy as the others.

Signal Technology (800)235-5787
I've used (use) ILS on a Vax but not the menu driven PC version.
The command line stuff is very awkward to use
and you never really know what you're looking at.
This is probably not be true about the menu driven software but you should
ask around.

I've got an Ariel Board but never use it, I'm looking at a
Metrabyte A/D/A and the Matlab packages.

Joe Klinger
att!iexist!jgk

Disclaimer - yes