[sci.electronics] wand type demagnetizer

iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) (09/16/89)

I'd like two recommendations for equipment (brand names, what
do you have, prices, etc.) now that I have moved into the world
of three head recorders:

A wand - type tape head demagnatizer
(I have the TDK looks-like-a-cassette demag, which is fine for the
two head machines, but it should not be used in a three head machine)

Tape head cleaning fluid that can be used for cleaning the heads
and rollers/capstans without drying out or degrading the rubber
parts.

Thanks for your help!

Ihor
                         Internet:  iws@rayssdb.ray.com
                   Bitnet:  iws%rayssdb.ray.com@a.cs.uiuc.edu
                   Bitnet:  iws%rayssdb.ray.com@eddie.mit.edu
Usenet:  {gatech, uiucdcs, decuac, sun, ukma, necntc, spdcc}!rayssd!rayssdb!iws
      Ihor Slabicky MS 171 * Raytheon Company * Submarine Signal Division
   1847 West Main Road * Portsmouth, RI 02871-1087 * (401) 847-8000 ext. 5684
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9     !#$%^&*()_-+={[ }]~`:;"'|\<,>.?/     9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (09/16/89)

In article <2573@rayssdb.ray.com> iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:
|(I have the TDK looks-like-a-cassette demag, which is fine for the
|two head machines, but it should not be used in a three head machine)

I assume you mean machines with three fully discrete heads. The
cassette-demagnetizers are fine for 3-head machines which have the
play & record heads in a single housing. Aren't they?

rmoore@rigel.uucp (Robert Moore) (09/17/89)

In article <2573@rayssdb.ray.com> iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:
>I'd like two recommendations for equipment (brand names, what
>do you have, prices, etc.) now that I have moved into the world
>of three head recorders:
>
>A wand - type tape head demagnatizer
>(I have the TDK looks-like-a-cassette demag, which is fine for the
>two head machines, but it should not be used in a three head machine)

Nakamichi makes an excellent wand-type head demagnetizer, but I've had
great results with the Radio Shack version; it's tip is lighted for
extra visibility, and it only cost ~$15.  I've used this on my Nak for
a couple of years now, and I can't see spending more $ than this.

>Tape head cleaning fluid that can be used for cleaning the heads
>and rollers/capstans without drying out or degrading the rubber
>parts.

Most authorities recommend Isopropyl alcohol, at least 70% (available in
your local grocery store) but better is 90%, from your local drugstore.
The only this to watch for is whether or not the brand you buy leaves a
residue when dry; dab some on a piece of rubber and see.  The stuff is
really cheap, and works well.  If you want a commercial product, use
Discwasher fluid.

>Thanks for your help!
>
>Ihor

Welcome!

c9d-ca@seymour.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Janson) (09/18/89)

In article <1786@convex.UUCP> rmoore@rigel.UUCP (Robert Moore) writes:
>In article <2573@rayssdb.ray.com> iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:
>>I'd like two recommendations for equipment (brand names, what
>>do you have, prices, etc.) now that I have moved into the world
>>of three head recorders:

>>Tape head cleaning fluid that can be used for cleaning the heads
>>and rollers/capstans without drying out or degrading the rubber
>>parts.

>Most authorities recommend Isopropyl alcohol, at least 70% (available in
>your local grocery store) but better is 90%, from your local drugstore.

No!  No!  No!  Whatever you do, never use less than 99%!  Anything less
has significant water content to cause long-term oxidation of the metal
components in the mechanism (i.e. heads, capistan(s)) and thus wouldn't
be a terribly good idea.  Anyway, every drug store has the stuff and at
just over $1 for 16 fl. oz., it really isn't out of the price range for
most audiophiles.  I've heard of people using liquid freon, but can't
see any distinct advantages to this...

>The only this to watch for is whether or not the brand you buy leaves a
>residue when dry; dab some on a piece of rubber and see.  The stuff is
>really cheap, and works well.  If you want a commercial product, use
>Discwasher fluid.

NO!  All discwasher fluid is is DI water.  As stated earlier, water will
oxidize.  BAD NEWS!

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|Mike Janson       			  	   janson@garnet.berkeley.edu |
|"Politics is for the moment.  An equation is for eternity." --Albert Einstein|
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (09/19/89)

In article <1786@convex.UUCP> rmoore@rigel.UUCP (Robert Moore) writes:
>In article <2573@rayssdb.ray.com> iws@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:
>>I'd like two recommendations for equipment (brand names, what
>>do you have, prices, etc.) now that I have moved into the world
>>of three head recorders:
(#1 req - demag info deleted - wjv)

>>Tape head cleaning fluid that can be used for cleaning the heads
>>and rollers/capstans without drying out or degrading the rubber
>>parts.
>>

>Most authorities recommend Isopropyl alcohol, at least 70% (available in
>your local grocery store) but better is 90%, from your local drugstore.
>The only this to watch for is whether or not the brand you buy leaves a
>residue when dry; dab some on a piece of rubber and see.  The stuff is
>really cheap, and works well.  If you want a commercial product, use
>Discwasher fluid.

Alcohol is okay for the heads, but KEEP IT OFF THE RUBBER.  The alcohol will
make the rubber old before it's time, drying it, and causing it to harden and
loose traction.

As recommended don't use the 70% alcohol.  Get the "pure stuff" at your
drugstore - typically used for cleaning syringes, etc.

And if you want commercial stuff - don't go with the Discwasher fluid.  Get
some professional cleaners - I have had excellent results with the chemicals
from Miller-Stephenson.  They even make a head cleaner for pro-video recorders
that can be sprayed on while the unit is playing/recording.  Good stuff!

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP