[sci.electronics] Kirlian photography

norlin@uokmax.UUCP (Norman Lin) (09/09/89)

Clint@i-core.UUCP(Clint) writes concerning Kirlian photography.  I recently
read a book that includes several pages and photographs on the subject.  It was
in Time Life's "Mysteries of the Unknown" series, and the title was something
like "ESP Powers" or something.  Anyway, if I remember correctly, the book
explains that Kirlian photography involves passing a high voltage through (or
above, or around, or something like that) a photographic plate with the
subject (such as a cut leaf) on the plate.  Then, the developed picture shows
the complete image of the leaf.  Find the book for more information.

norlin@uokmax.UUCP (Norman Lin) (09/14/89)

>In article <3727@uokmax.UUCP> you write:

in Time Life's "Mysteries of the Unknown" series, and the title was something
like "ESP Powers" or something.  Anyway, if I remember correctly, the book
explains that Kirlian photography involves passing a high voltage through (or
above, or around, or something like that) a photographic plate with the
subject (such as a cut leaf) on the plate.  Then, the developed picture shows
the complete image of the leaf.  Find the book for more information.

>I was wondering how much information those books include.  You only mention
>an explanation of equipment, but not procedure (how to duplicate the
>examples given) nor function (how it works).  Does the book include that
>information?
>
>A few days ago in another newsgroup, someone explained that the "cut leaf"
>image was done by cutting the leaf on the equipment and removing the cut
>part.  As Kirlian photography functions by photographing the discharge
>of electrical currents, the missing side was photographed by the
>moisture it left on the equipment.  The "Unknown" was water.

[Posted with permission of sender]

Mr. Wilcoxon:

To begin with, the Time-Life book I refer to is, unfortunately, designed to
be more attention grabbing than scientifically informative.  As such, it
contains no information on how, specifically, to duplicate the results.  It
does, however, contain a brief history of the method and a sketchy description
of the apparatus, along with spectacular color photographs.

The book does not explain why the Kirlian effect works; that's the "unknown"
part.  It says, I believe, that the Kirlian effect "hints at a mysterious
energy matrix holding templates for all life."  Take that as you will.

As to the other person's posting that the Kirlian effect was due to the
cutting of the leaf ON the plate...the book DOES address that doubt.  It
says, and I believe I quote, "Most serious investigators, however, insist
that the leaf is cut before any part of it touches the plate."  Although,
as I mentioned, the books are a tad on the sensationalist side, I tend to
believe that the leaf IS cut BEFORE it touches the plate.  Again, one must
judge for oneself.

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (09/15/89)

> The book does not explain why the Kirlian effect works; that's the "unknown"
> part.  It says, I believe, that the Kirlian effect "hints at a mysterious
> energy matrix holding templates for all life."  Take that as you will.

The Kirlian effect was investigated much by Kirlian (who discovered it).
When a human being is observed under these conditions then bright rays
are seen to eminate from certain popints on the body. These correspond to
no known features such as nerve endings.

Kirlian could not explain this, until one day he chanced to look at a
doll representing the points on the body which are used for acupuncture.

These corresponded to the locations of the rays visible under the
Kirlian process.

(just thought I'd throw that into the discussion)

-Pete.

--
       -Pete French.               |
  British Telecom Research Labs.   | "The carefree days are distant now,

vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) (09/16/89)

In article <349@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:

>Kirlian could not explain this, until one day he chanced to look at a
>doll representing the points on the body which are used for acupuncture.
>
>These corresponded to the locations of the rays visible under the
>Kirlian process.
>
>(just thought I'd throw that into the discussion)

Since there are hundreds, or thousand of "acupuncture points," (depending on
the cited authority), its not hard to correlate the location of Kirilian
rays with nearby points.

Watkins and Bickel (Dept. of Physics, U. of Arizona, Tucson) have produced
Kirlian images of inanimate objects such as paper clips and brass gears.
(Yes I know, they must have been Shirley McLaine in a previous life).

The W&B paper ("A study of the Kirlian Effect", The Skeptical Inquirer, vol.
10, Spring 1986) notes that all five major claims of Kirlian enthusiasts
can be adequately explained by natural (non-psychic) processes. Their best
guess (they didn't want to waste any more time on these claims), is that
"Kirlian aura is a visual or photographic image of a corona discharge in a
gas [modulated by]...composition of the air, pressure, impurities emanating
from the sample, as well as the voltage and current of the source."

Thats all.

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (09/19/89)

From article <27659@buckaroo.mips.COM>, by vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan):
> In article <349@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
> The W&B paper ("A study of the Kirlian Effect", The Skeptical Inquirer, vol.
> 10, Spring 1986) notes that all five major claims of Kirlian enthusiasts
> can be adequately explained by natural (non-psychic) processes. Their best
> guess (they didn't want to waste any more time on these claims), is that
> "Kirlian aura is a visual or photographic image of a corona discharge in a
> gas [modulated by]...composition of the air, pressure, impurities emanating
> from the sample, as well as the voltage and current of the source."

Persoinally I dont beleive its psychic either - its interesting that they
said that something existed , and for me that makes it worth photographing.
I like pretty pictures.

> Thats all.

A good point - this should be continued in sci.sceptic if anywhere. Back
to transistors and stuff methinks...

-Pete.

--
       -Pete French.               | "She stares at the screen,
  British Telecom Research Labs.   |  At the little words of green,