[sci.electronics] Pitch Shifter Question

27860@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Joseph W Lesky) (09/17/89)

I would like to make something that will change the pitch of a musical
instrument, voice, etc (realtime).  It would have to shift multiple pitches
(while keeping everything in key), and it should cover the whole
20Hz - 20KHz spectrum (if possible).  It should also have variable pitch shift.
Does anyone know how I can do this?
Thanks,

			-Joe

greg@sj.ate.slb.com (Greg Wageman) (09/20/89)

In article <4385@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> 27860@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Joseph W Lesky) writes:

>I would like to make something that will change the pitch of a musical
>instrument, voice, etc (realtime).  It would have to shift multiple pitches
>(while keeping everything in key), and it should cover the whole
>20Hz - 20KHz spectrum (if possible).  It should also have variable pitch shift.

Check out an issue of "Electronic Musician" or similar magazine, or
your local, large, electronic musical instrument retailer.  Look for
adds for or inquire about effects processors.

Digital Signal Processors have hit the commercial musical instrument
processing industry in a big way.  There are numerous widely-available
units which can do pitch shifting in addition to other common musical
instrument processing effects like digital echo, reverb, distortion,
overdrive, etc.

Most can be operated under computer control using MIDI (Musical
Instrument Digital Interface).

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352