[sci.electronics] precision screwdrivers

david@sun.com (WALKING CATFISH EATS FARMER) (09/21/89)

Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
jeweler's screwdrivers without much success.

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@eng.sun.com

passaret@brahe.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) (09/21/89)

+ In article <125014@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> david@sun.com
+    (WALKING CATFISH EATS FARMER) writes:
+
+    Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
+    in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
+    jeweler's screwdrivers without much success.

Ah, yes.... Posi-drive.  Look for your local Xcelite distributor.
They've got Posi blades for their Type-99 (modular) screwdrivers.
I think they also sell regular drivers in Posi configuration.

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret

vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) (09/21/89)

In article <125014@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> david@sun.com (WALKING CATFISH EATS FARMER) writes:
>Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
>in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
>jeweler's screwdrivers without much success.

The "CK" brand of precision screwdrivers, made in West Germany, have an
excellent reputation. The smallest are slightly larger than jewellers'
screwdrivers.

Among larger still screwdrivers, the "Paladin" brand, also made in West
Germany are among the best made.

Both are available from industrial tool stores, and some electronics tools
stores.

In article <PASSARET.89Sep20171336@brahe.crd.ge.com> <passaretti@crd.ge.com> writes:

>+    Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
>+    in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
>+    jeweler's screwdrivers without much success.
>
>Ah, yes.... Posi-drive.  Look for your local Xcelite distributor.
>They've got Posi blades for their Type-99 (modular) screwdrivers.
>I think they also sell regular drivers in Posi configuration.

Actually, Posidriv is rarely found in Japanese-made machinery; something to
do with patent rights owned by an American company. In contrast, Posidriv has
almost half the "cruxiform" drive fastener market in Europe.

passaret@brahe.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) (09/21/89)

 % In article <27953@buckaroo.mips.COM> vaso@mips.COM
 %   (Vaso Bovan) writes:
 % In article <PASSARET.89Sep20171336@brahe.crd.ge.com>
 %   I wrote:
 % >
 % >+Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
 % >+in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
 % >+jeweler's screwdrivers without much success.
 % >
 % >Ah, yes.... Posi-drive.  Look for your local Xcelite distributor.
 % >They've got Posi blades for their Type-99 (modular) screwdrivers.
 % >I think they also sell regular drivers in Posi configuration.
 % >
 % Actually, Posidriv is rarely found in Japanese-made machinery; something to
 % do with patent rights owned by an American company. In contrast, Posidriv has
 %  almost half the "cruxiform" drive fastener market in Europe.

 Funny, somebody should tell SONY that.  Posi-Drive's what they told me to
 use on my tape deck.  It worked.  Maybe it's close enough to whatever it
 is that they DO use.  Your mileage may vary.

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret

peg@psuecl.bitnet (09/21/89)

In article <PASSARET.89Sep20171336@brahe.crd.ge.com>, passaret@brahe.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) writes:
> + In article <125014@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> david@sun.com
> +
> +    Does anyone have a source for screwdrivers for the "precision" screws used
> +    in Japanese consumer electronics?  I've tried various small Phillips and
>
> Ah, yes.... Posi-drive.  Look for your local Xcelite distributor.

I'm not sure whether you are looking for posi-drive, or something else,
but if you need posi-drive, try Sears.  They have one size of posi-drive
readily available, and maybe more in their tool catalog.  Sears is usually
easier to find than an Xcelite dealer!

Paul