[sci.electronics] Need help locating a part

kline@tuna.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) (09/18/89)

channel. The offending part is of course the triac, which is shorted. I
could easily replace it, if I could find one. The part is labeled
"TG25E40 7B   SanRex  JAPAN". I know it's a triac both from context in
the circuit and by the fact that the terminals are labeled "T1", "T2",
and "G".

I need not only an equivalent triac with the same characteristics, but
I need one with the same (odd) packaging: A plastic square 3/4 inch on
a side, with three flat terminals protruding, bonded to a 1/16 inch
metal plate the same size as the plastic but with triangular ears with
a mounting hole in each. The things are all mounted by machine screws
to one thick rectangular metal tube which the pack's cooling fan blows
through. Kind of an interesting heat dissipation scheme, I thought.
Connections are not soldered, but are made through open-barrel
disconnects on the terminals of the triac. Apparently the manufacturer
expected these to fail often.

Can anyone help me track down a source for these parts? Help a
non-profit community theater out: the local ripoff head band lighting
and sound joint wants $40 apiece for these, and you can't just buy
them; you have to make a service call and pay for their labor too.

Thanks in advance!

_____
Charley Kline, Assistant TD, Celebration Company at the Station Theater
c-kline@uiuc.edu
uunet!uiucuxc!kline
(217) 333-3339

peg@psuecl.bitnet (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep17.195512.4723@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kline@tuna.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
> One of the stage lighting dimmer packs at our little theater has a bad
> "TG25E40 7B   SanRex  JAPAN". I know it's a triac both from context in

sorry, couldn't find this one in my cross reference.  anyone else?

> I need one with the same (odd) packaging: A plastic square 3/4 inch on
> a side, with three flat terminals protruding, bonded to a 1/16 inch
> metal plate the same size as the plastic but with triangular ears with

this is a common newer triac package.  it is called a TO-3 Fastpack
by at least one manufacturer.  notice the base outline is just like a
TO-3 transistor.

> and sound joint wants $40 apiece for these, and you can't just buy

Digi-key list quite a few triacs in this package made by Teccor.  The
most expensive is $13.40.  I would suggest you contact Teccor, as they
probably originated the triac you mention.  I don't have their address,
I believe they are in eastern Pennsylvania.

Good luck--if I find the part # I'll get back to you.
Paul

peg@psuecl.bitnet (09/21/89)

> "TG25E40 7B   SanRex  JAPAN". I know it's a triac both from context in

Back again!  Looks like your part probably crosses to
Teccor:

  Teccor Q4025P    400 volt, 25 amp

If that seems right, i.e. less than 400 volt supply (prob.) and a fuse
for less than 25 amps, I'd say go for it (but no guarantees!!).  There
really aren't that many TO-3 pack triacs around, anyway.

  Digikey:   1-800-digi-key      part # Q4025P      $9.55

  Mouser:    1-800-34mouser           # 519-Q4025P  $8.99    $20 min.

Sure wish I could find Teccor's address.  They are a good company.

Paul

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (09/22/89)

In article <56185@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>In article <1989Sep17.195512.4723@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kline@tuna.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
>> One of the stage lighting dimmer packs at our little theater has a bad
>> "TG25E40 7B   SanRex  JAPAN". I know it's a triac both from context in

Here's an U.S. Address for SanRex:
     	SanRex Corp.
	Semiconductor Division
	1615 Northern Blvd.
	Manhasset, NY 11030

	(516) 365-3520

--
||   Gee, do you think it'd help if I plugged in both ends of this cable?   ||
Cris Simpson              Computer Engineer               VA Rehab R&D Center