[sci.electronics] consumer electronics question

pausch@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Randy Pausch) (09/23/89)

A student is interested in looking at variable-intensity L.E.D displays for
consumer electronics (i.e. your clock radio knows how bright to make itself,
based on the ambient light in the room).  Does anyone know if

a) this is already marketed in a commercial project?
b) any R&D work has been done in this area?
--
Randy Pausch		(pausch@virginia.edu) 804-982-2211
Assistant Professor, Computer Science Deptartment, Thornton Hall,

In article <PAUSCH.89Sep22174506@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU>, pausch@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Randy Pausch) writes:
> A student is interested in looking at variable-intensity L.E.D displays for
> consumer electronics (i.e. your clock radio knows how bright to make itself,
> based on the ambient light in the room).  Does anyone know if
> a) this is already marketed in a commercial project?
> b) any R&D work has been done in this area?

	This feature has already been implemented in consumer and other
products.  I have a Panasonic clock radio which uses a vacuum fluorescent
display, whose intensity is controlled not only by a brightness control
knob on the side of the radio, but by a photocell.  The net effect is
that the brightness is directly proportional to the ambient light, within
certain limits defined by the control knob setting.

	Since vacuum fluoresecent displays can be intensity modulated,
this is easy to implement.  Intensity of LED's can be controlled by
varying the duty cycle of the digit-segment multiplexing scheme.  In the
case of LCD's, most backlighted LCD displays use an electroluminescent
panel, the intensity of which can also be easily varied.

	The earliest device I can recall with variable level of indicator
illumination tied to ambient light was a commercial mobile two-way radio,
the General Electric MASTR I.  I first saw this optional feature around
1969.

	To answer the second question, I suspect that no R&D work per se
has been done in this subject area.  If a manufacturer wishes to include
such a feature in their product, they simply just do it, since the required
engineering is no mystery.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (09/24/89)

In article <PAUSCH.89Sep22174506@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU>, pausch@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Randy Pausch) writes:

> A student is interested in looking at variable-intensity L.E.D displays for
> consumer electronics (i.e. your clock radio knows how bright to make itself,
> based on the ambient light in the room).  Does anyone know if
>
> a) this is already marketed in a commercial project?

My clock radio has a day/night switch that reduces the intensity of the
display.  It does not sense the room light automatically, but this seems
like a logical next step.

> b) any R&D work has been done in this area?

I don't think there is anything particularly difficult about building
variable intensity LEDs.  Reducing the current (i.e. greater series resistance)
should do it.  Pulsing the display and varying the duty cycle is another
alternative that might lend itself better to a digital implementation.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.