[sci.electronics] Very Small Cheap Cameras for Machine Vision

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (09/25/89)

I am interested in specifications, and ultimately a source, for very small
cheap cameras for use in machine-vision-type applications.  Very low
resolution monochrome is appropriate, though of course other options will
be considered in a bang/buck/size/weight equation!  Small size is the
primary consideration:  I would like to find something maybe the size of
a Chap-Stick or less that still has the capability of focussing on full-
size real-world objects.  I saw something like this in a Japanese film
(A Taxing Woman by Juzo Itami) and it didn't look like they were faking it.
Someone told me that sci.electronics hosted such a discussion just recently.

Small distance microphones, voice microphones, body temperature, EKG and
EEG sensors, very small LCD screens, and the like are of interest too.

Please respond by email and I'll summarize to this group for others
interested in these areas.

Thanks,

Craig Hubley
--
    Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
    Craig Hubley & Associates		"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep25.064723.775@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>I am interested in specifications, and ultimately a source, for very small
>cheap cameras for use in machine-vision-type applications.  Very low
>resolution monochrome is appropriate, though of course other options will
>be considered in a bang/buck/size/weight equation!  Small size is the
>primary consideration:  I would like to find something maybe the size of
>a Chap-Stick or less that still has the capability of focussing on full-
>size real-world objects.  I saw something like this in a Japanese film
>(A Taxing Woman by Juzo Itami) and it didn't look like they were faking it.
>Someone told me that sci.electronics hosted such a discussion just recently.
>
>Craig Hubley

Look into the Fisher-Price 'toy' camcorder.  It has a small low res monochrome
ccd...for under $150.

--
David A Honig

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep25.064723.775@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>I am interested in specifications, and ultimately a source, for very small
>cheap cameras for use in machine-vision-type applications.  Very low
>resolution monochrome is appropriate, though of course other options will
>be considered in a bang/buck/size/weight equation!  Small size is the
>primary consideration:  I would like to find something maybe the size of
>a Chap-Stick or less that still has the capability of focussing on full-
>size real-world objects.  I saw something like this in a Japanese film
>(A Taxing Woman by Juzo Itami) and it didn't look like they were faking it.

A small cheap camera you may consider may be available at your local
model railroad hobby store.  Lionel has a product called 'RailScope'
which is a television camera mounted inside an HO scale railroad engine.
It transmits the video back across the rails to an RF modulator tied
to the track.  About $240 (US) through most of the mail order places.

Another source to consider would be local security firms.  If small size/
low mass is a consideration, PULNiX America, Inc. manufactures a 'Remote
Imager CCD Camera (TM-540-R)'.  The camera electronics are tethered to
a CCD chip by a 48" cable.  The chip/lens assembly is about 1.5" x 1." x .5"
and is available with the cable exiting from whatever side is most convienent.
However, the cost of these may be prohibitive.  Look in your Yellow Pages
under 'SECURITY'.

Disclaimer:  I've only seen these in magazines, although people I talk
to are more than impressed by them.  I have no relationship with Lionel, etc.

-j
--
J. Deters - jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG  john@jaded.DHDSC.MN.ORG