[sci.electronics] Microwave oven output

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (09/23/89)

My microwave seems to be slow a cooking stuff.  I checked the
AC current with a clamp-on ammeter and it was 12 AMPS.  Sounds
like its drawing lotsa current but not nuking very fast. Two questions
arise:

1) Where can I get a new HV diode (cheap).

2) How can you check microwave output vs. current drawn?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Thompson
WB4HVD

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (09/25/89)

Charlie Thompson writes:
>My microwave seems to be slow a cooking stuff.  I checked the
>AC current with a clamp-on ammeter and it was 12 AMPS.  Sounds
>like its drawing lotsa current but not nuking very fast. Two questions
>arise:
>
>1) Where can I get a new HV diode (cheap).
>
>2) How can you check microwave output vs. current drawn?
>
>Charlie Thompson
>WB4HVD

A while back, I worked for a small division of Litton Industries,
and at the annual inter-division "technology transfer" seminars,
I met the chief engineer of Litton's microwave oven division.

In the course of casual discussions, I found out that a good way
to determine the "microwave wattage" is to use simple calorimetry;
put a measured amount of water at a known temperature in the oven,
and run it a measured time to produce a *small* increase in
temperature. The rest is left as an exercise for the curious...

He also said that they never used one of those expensive "leakage
meters"; they just bent the leads of a NE-2 out like a dipole and
went around the seal with it. No light, no leakage.

No responsibility if these things don't work, though.

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

jim@foobar.hf.intel.com (Jim Garver) (09/26/89)

In article <2410@radio.oakhill.UUCP> charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:
>My microwave seems to be slow a cooking stuff.
>
>2) How can you check microwave output vs. current drawn?

My Magic Chef service manual specifies a procedure to do this.  A measured
amount of water is nuked for a specific period.  The change in temperature
(delta t) is then plugged into a formula resulting in calories of energy
which you can convert to watts.  Consult an applied physics book or I can
look it up for you.
Better yet, convert that thing to a high power FM 2.5 Ghz transmitter and
nuke the neighborhood!  Plans are available in a recent issue of 73 magazine.
The same author originally presented the project in RF Design magazine where
he won 3rd place in the design contest (shoulda been first).  With plenty
of MDS pirate receivers/antennas around you can probably gain an audience.
Are there any MDS broadcasters left?  They shut off the one in this area.
It was a good signal source for microwave receiver projects.

--
_\ _\   Jim Garver        __|__<tektronix!psueea | uunet!littlei>!foobar!jim
\  \  WA7LDV & N3170N _____( )_____          jim@foobar<.hf.intel.com|.uucp>

jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (09/26/89)

In article <346@foobar.hf.intel.com> jim@foobar.UUCP (Jim Garver) writes:

>Better yet, convert that thing to a high power FM 2.5 Ghz transmitter and
>nuke the neighborhood!

I hope there was an intended smiley here.  Eeeeeek!

Someone doing this would give local neighbors cancer and cataracts!

kencr@haddock.ima.isc.com (Kenny Crudup) (09/26/89)

In article <2427@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> jst@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Joe Stong) says:
>I hope there was an intended smiley here.  Eeeeeek!
>Someone doing this would give local neighbors cancer and cataracts!

And cooties, too! We all know there is no reason to be emitting high-
power EM radiation in the air....they just said so on the radio station
I'm listening to in the office....

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Interactive Systems Co.(386/ix), Cambridge MA
Don't worry- I haven't lost my mind....its backed up on tape *somewhere*....

rma@mhgki.ATT.COM (atkins, robert m) (09/27/89)

In article <2427@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) writes:
> In article <346@foobar.hf.intel.com> jim@foobar.UUCP (Jim Garver) writes:
>
> >Better yet, convert that thing to a high power FM 2.5 Ghz transmitter and
> >nuke the neighborhood!
>
> I hope there was an intended smiley here.  Eeeeeek!
>
> Someone doing this would give local neighbors cancer and cataracts!

Anyone comtemplating converting a microwave oven into a high power
transmitter should have more worries about his own health than his
neighbors. In the far field (say 100ft) of a 10 degreee beamwidth
antenna (several foot dish) running 500W of rf power the field
strength would be less than 0.5mW/sq.cm. This is (I believe) within
recommended exposure limits and would pose no health threats (though
I wouldn't want to spend 24hrs a day, 365 days a year in such an
environment). More of a problem would be stray rf in the shack. If
anyone is contemplating this conversion (and yes, it can be done) they
had better know what they are doing and have some kind of rf field
strength monitor around. There is no doubt that exposure to high levels
of microwave energy can cause cataracts. The evidence for inducing
cancers is somewhat less certain, but its not something I would want
to completely ignore. Be Careful. Microwaves are quite friendly if you
know how to treat them right, but they can bite if you don't.

                                       Bob Atkins  KA1GT

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke) (09/27/89)

Ken Crudup says "...there's no reason to send ep up into the air..." (I'm
sorry, my quoting powers are not yet fully developed - but I'm working on
it!!  It is definately to that effect :-) )

  WRONG!  A good use for a microwave with high power (provided you can either
turn it on and off fast enough or modulate it) would be EME (why do you think
radar operates on UHF and higher frequencies?).  73's all! - Mike, N7MSD

Mike Storke, N7MSD *  The opinions, ideas, etc. expressed here are mine,
Box 462            *  mine alone, and bear no resemblence to the
4750 Gym Road      *  University of Nevada System's or anyone else's for

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke) (09/27/89)

Sorry about the screwed - up signature, send all replies to:
storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu.  I'll fix it (promise :-) Mike