[sci.electronics] Experience with Burr-Brown ADCs

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (09/29/89)

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:

>I suggest that when you're building it, and afterward when you're
>debugging and testing it, be sure to measure the actual observed
>performance of the Burr-Brown part.  Compare this to the datasheet;
>is the datasheet dead-on, wildly optimistic, or conservatively pessimistic?

>This will help other readers of these Newsgroups decide whether or
>not to use the BB device in their own projects.
>--
> -- Mark Johnson
> 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
>	(408) 991-0208    mark@mips.com  {or ...!decwrl!mips!mark}

MY $.02 ON BURR-BROWN ADC SPECS:

I evaluated the B-B ADC600, a 10MHz sample rate 12-bit subranging
ADC.  Right away I was impressed when the ADC arrived accompanied
by printouts of test results for that particular ADC, done with
tests and test jig shown in the data sheet.  All we had to do was
compare our printouts with the data sheet to ensure that our ADC
was within published specs.

However, we wanted to play, and needed experience interfacing the
ECL outputs of this device to our digital filters, so we decided to
build our own test jig, following the data sheet, but with different
brands of test equipment.  We got effectively the same results as
the printouts that came with the ADC.  These results were dead on
the data sheet specs or slightly better than them.

The only problem with Burr-Brown's specs, or any ADC manufacturer
for that matter, is the treatment of aperture jitter in the sample-
and-hold.  Due the the bandwidth we were going to handle with this
ADC, aperture jitter was second only to non-linearity in importance,
but no one could tell us whether the spec was for peak or RMS
jitter.  The difference meant decreased S/N in a good chunk of the
input band.  It seems everyone publishes aperture jitter specs
and either says "typical" (right! :-) ) or doesn't say anything
and lets you decide.

Don't get me wrong though; I like the B-B ADC600.  It beat the
competition when we looked at it.  I also have had good
experience with the B-B customer support people.

--
Rick Low
MEL Defence Systems Limited, Ottawa, Canada