[sci.electronics] A violation of the law of conservation of energy

ARaman@massey.ac.nz (A.V. Raman) (09/26/89)

This problem has puzzled me for 2 years
Can someone please help me out:

                       ________________
                      |                |
                   V ---             ----- C
                  ---------          -----
                      |                |
                       -----RRRRR------

Consider the RC circuit above.

The aim is to determine an equation for the energy expended in the resistor
R at t = infinity.

If we denote the energy at t = infinity by E, then
E = integral from t = 0 to t = infinity (power (t) dt)
where power = R * square (i)
since i = f(t) = V/R exp (-t/RC)
E = integral from t = 0 to t = infinity (square (V) / R exp (-t/RC))

which implies E = C * square(V) / 2
which is perfectly logical considering the fact that E = total energy -
energy stored in the capacitor.

But note that the energy expended in R does not depend on R itself.

That won't be quite as astonishing if not for the following reduction
of the above circuit.  What if R = 0, V = 1 and C = 1 for example?

On creation of such a circuit, the charge that will flow out of V into C
is 1 coulomb.
By definition then, the energy transferred from V to C is
charge * pressure = 1V * 1C = 1 joule
But what is the energy stored in the capacitor?
It is half C*square(V) = half * 1 * square(1) = half joule.
Where has the remaining half joule gone?
Beats me!

--
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Anand Venkataraman - Systems group, Computer Center, Massey University,

In article <318@massey.ac.nz>, ARaman@massey.ac.nz (A.V. Raman) writes:
-> This problem has puzzled me for 2 years
-> Can someone please help me out:
->                        ________________
->                       |                |
->                    V ---             ----- C
->                   ---------          -----
->                       |                |
->                        -----RRRRR------
->
	The summary says it all.  I ain't gonna say another word. :-)

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (09/27/89)

This was hashed over extensively within the last year on these groups. The
answer involves radiation, the impossibility of creating a resistanceless
and inductanceless connection, and the breakdown of simple circuit
equations in geometric configurations that try to approximate such a
connection. That is - how are you at applying Maxwell's equations?

The law is not violated. I have faith, oh Brother Ohm! :-)

						Jeff Winslow

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (09/27/89)

Circuit: +--C--V--R--+  I assume that initially no charge on C when the
         +-----------+

>which implies E = C * square(V) / 2

>But note that the energy expended in R does not depend on R itself.

Yes.

>That won't be quite as astonishing if not for the following reduction
>of the above circuit.  What if R = 0, V = 1 and C = 1 for example?

An impossible situation.  What this means in the ideal case is that some
amount of energy is being transfered in 0 time.  There is no V which can
do this (even if the wires are superconducting).  Also, if V is really strong,
a superconducting wire would stop being a superconductor since the magnetic
field is large.

>By definition then, the energy transferred from V to C is
>charge * pressure = 1V * 1C = 1 joule
>But what is the energy stored in the capacitor?
>It is half C*square(V) = half * 1 * square(1) = half joule.

>Where has the remaining half joule gone?

Half the energy transfered ALWAYS becomes heat.  In any "clutch" I.E., a
device which transfers energy from one side to another until both sides are
equal, 1/2 the energy goes into heat.  This is true for both electrical
systems and mechanical ones.  If you have one flywheel which is spinning and
one which isn't and you connect them, 1/2 the energy of the system is lost to
heat.  No matter how you connect them (I.E., no matter what R is).

ih@udel.EDU (202EVN) (09/27/89)

Even in mathematical sense, nothing is violated.  Because when the
resistance approaches zero, the current becomes infinite.  The
product of zero and infinite is undefined and normally determined
from physical situations.  Other people discussing similar problems
also overlooked this.

liud@guille.ece.orst.edu (Dongtai Liu) (09/28/89)

I once had a similar example that puzzled me for some time. My circuit consistedof two capacitors and a switch. One capacitor has initial voltage and the other has no. the swith is then closed and the voltage on both capacitors becomes 1/2 of the initial voltage on the first capacitor (remember, v is proportioanl to q/c, since q=cont, c=twice as much, v->1/2 as much).

conservation law seems to be violated again, since E=0.5*C*V*V, there is only
50% energy left in this simple system.

I know the answer; but I would like to give you a clue first. When you close theswitch (or let R=0 in your circuit and connect the battery), wouldn't you hear
a click from a radio nearby?r

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (09/28/89)

-> This problem has puzzled me for 2 years
-> Can someone please help me out:
->                        ________________
->                       |                |
->                    V ---             ----- C
->                   ---------          -----
->                       |                |
->                        -----RRRRR------
->
>	The summary says it all.  I ain't gonna say another word. :-)

You're a cruel man, Larry! :-)

*I* will at least give a hint -

Consider that even if R is zero, the voltage V *cannot* appear across the
capacitor instantaneously; to do so would require the charge be transferred
INSTANTLY to the capacitor, which means an infinite current (for an infinitely
small - actually, zero - time!).  Such is not truly possible if there is
any physical distance at all between the source and capacitor (and if there
isn't, where does the "C" come from? :-)).  The usual means of modelling the
behavior of this circuit break down in this extreme case, and we must
fall back on what's actually happening.  Consult a good EM text for further
details - but only AFTER you've thought about it a little further.

(And yes, this is very similar to the old two-capacitor problem discussed
a few months ago; so if someone thinks that they're being clever by
posting that problem in a new guise, well, a pox upon thee and I wish to
Zeus I'd kept my flinkin' mouth shut.  Shoulda left Larry's response stand. :-))

Bob Myers            | "The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects
myers%hpfcla@hplabs. |   is that science requires reasoning, while those other
hp.com               |     subjects merely require scholarahip." - R. Heinlein

aephraim@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aephraim M. Steinberg) (09/28/89)

A clear way of seeing that this calculation is faulty without even bothering
to complain about the impossibility of zero-resistance and zero-inductance
(it seems to me that the same error could be made as easily with a finite
R) is to ask why you multiply 1C by 1V.  When you start moving that coulomb,
there is not yet 1 volt of potential on the other side.  It ends up looking
like a triangle with base 1C and height 1V, whose area is of course 1/2.
By setting R=0, you are simply taking lim t-->0 of an integral, but that
doesn't give you the right to drop the integral and just multiply your
final values.

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep28.013457.28172@agate.berkeley.edu> aephraim@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aephraim M. Steinberg) writes:
>A clear way of seeing that this calculation is faulty without even bothering
>to complain about the impossibility of zero-resistance and zero-inductance
>(it seems to me that the same error could be made as easily with a finite
>R)...

If you have a finite R, the "missing energy" is dissipated as heat in the
resistor. I worked it out on the net when the subject came up before - wish
I'd saved it. But it's pretty easy.

						Jeff Winslow

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (09/29/89)

In article <318@massey.ac.nz> ARaman@massey.ac.nz (A.V. Raman) writes:
   >This problem has puzzled me for 2 years
   >Can someone please help me out:
   >
   >                       ________________
   >                      |                |
   >                   V ---             ----- C
   >                  ---------          -----
   >                      |                |
   >                       -----RRRRR------
   >
   >Consider the RC circuit above.
   >
   >The aim is to determine an equation for the energy expended in the resistor
   >R at t = infinity.
   >
   >If we denote the energy at t = infinity by E, then
   >E = integral from t = 0 to t = infinity (power (t) dt)
   >where power = R * square (i)
   >since i = f(t) = V/R exp (-t/RC)
   >E = integral from t = 0 to t = infinity (square (V) / R exp (-t/RC))
   >
   >which implies E = C * square(V) / 2
   >which is perfectly logical considering the fact that E = total energy -
   >energy stored in the capacitor.
   >
   >But note that the energy expended in R does not depend on R itself.
   >
   >That won't be quite as astonishing if not for the following reduction
   >of the above circuit.  What if R = 0, V = 1 and C = 1 for example?
   >
   >On creation of such a circuit, the charge that will flow out of V into C
   >is 1 coulomb.
   >By definition then, the energy transferred from V to C is
   >charge * pressure = 1V * 1C = 1 joule
   >But what is the energy stored in the capacitor?
   >It is half C*square(V) = half * 1 * square(1) = half joule.
   >Where has the remaining half joule gone?
   >Beats me!

Oh but we forgot something didn't we!  To charge the capacitor (charge to
flow), we have a current! A flow of current creates a magnetic field, which
stores energy (1/2 L * I * I). Those lines between the plates are allowed
to have zero resistance but as all RF people know even wire has inductance!
Without the resistor we have an LC oscillator. The energy stored in the
in the inductor (wire) will be added to the capacitor and then returned to
the inductor. The voltage source will just look like DC offset and a short
to the oscillation!

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe203}!vk2bea!michael
						  _ _ _                    _
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

Michael Katzmann
Broadcast Sports Technology.
2135 Espey Ct. #4
Crofton Md. 21114 USA