[sci.electronics] Help on chip ID's

peg@psuecl.bitnet (10/02/89)

In article <15884@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, sean@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sean P. Nolan) writes:

> are. If anyone could tell me what these are, and/or where to find data on them,
> I'd appreciate it. Even better, if there's some reference with this type of
> listing around, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> The chips are:            TC4001UBP
>                           TC4069UBP
>                           IR3N05
>                           IR3N06
>                           MB8719
>                           MK5087N

Hey, Sean.

Looks like you have two CMOS digital IC's, two optocouplers, and two which
I don't recognize off hand (although 5087 sounds familiar).

The 4001 is a CMOS quad nor gate.  The 4069 a hex inverter.  A good
reference for CMOS (although a bit dated) is the CMOS Cookbook, by
Don Lancaster.  You can find it at many electronics stores or mail
order.  In general, his books are very good at helping beginners
advance quickly.  The CMOS Cookbook has pinouts for most common
CMOS IC's.

As for the rest, many semi. companies publish cross references which
give varying amts. of info on IC's and transistors, and cross reference
(!!) them between manufacturer's numbers.  Note: after a while, many
part numbers are obvious--e.g. the 4069, whose prefix is relatively
unimportant.  Try going to a local electronics store and asking for
a "semiconductor cross reference".  Common ones are by NTE, RCA, ECG.
Usually, they will give you one for free--some may charge $2-3.  It's
probably worth the cash to get one.

Beyond that, start acquiring manufacturer's data books!  Sometimes I
think I spend more time doing that than building things!  It can be
a real challenge prying them loose for free, but you can get most
databooks by calling a regional distributor for TI, Motorola, NS,etc.
and asking.  Sometimes it helps if you give them a business, school
address, or sound like someone who will buy lots of parts.  Also,
companies like Active, Digi-key sell these books (at freaking
outrageous prices!!) (Intel does that themselves--I avoid Intel!).
It might be worth it for you to buy at least the CMOS and TTL databooks
for one manufacturer.  Note that the databooks for CMOS and TTL
will be largely the same from all manufacturers.  I think TI
books are probably my personal favorite, and they are pretty good
about giving them away.

Well, if I had more time, I would look up the rest of those IC's,
but I have to run.  Control systems homework to do :(  Good luck!

Paul