[sci.electronics] digital logic design program needed

sekoppenhoef@rose.waterloo.edu (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) (09/27/89)

Does anyone know of any programs that will allow me to design and
test a logic design (AND's OR's NOR's NOT's XOR...) and play around
with it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|       _ _	KLEIN BOTTLE for sale...
	Shawn E. Koppenhoefer |	       |                      enquire within.
 ...watmath!rose!sekoppenhoef |	       -

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (09/27/89)

In article <16701@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sekoppenhoef@rose.waterloo.edu (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) writes:

>Does anyone know of any programs that will allow me to design and
>test a logic design (AND's OR's NOR's NOT's XOR...) and play around
>with it?
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|       _ _	KLEIN BOTTLE for sale...
>	Shawn E. Koppenhoefer |	       |                      enquire within.
> ...watmath!rose!sekoppenhoef |	       -

Hi,

If you want something in the PD, then there is one available from the
SIMTEL20 archives, in the pd1:<msdos.cad> directory.  The description
says that it is for 286 only ( which would include 386 ).  I am not
sure how good it is or what graphics requirements it has. ( for CAD
I would prefer at least EGA ).

For some $$$ however, there is a package called MicroLogic, but I can't
remember who produces it.  ( it is though the same people that do
MicroCap ).  And for megabucks, there is Workview, by Workview Inc. ( I
think ), and that is very good.  If you would like to see Workview in
action you may be able to see a demo.  The Electrical Engineering Dept.
has a number of workstations running Workview.  Maybe if you talk nice
they will let you see.

....Paul F

            Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services
                        University of Waterloo
< pfratar@watshine.waterloo.edu >         < pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu >

krisk@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kristine L. Kaliszewski) (09/28/89)

In article <16701@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sekoppenhoef@rose.waterloo.edu (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) writes:

>Does anyone know of any programs that will allow me to design and
>test a logic design (AND's OR's NOR's NOT's XOR...) and play around
>with it?

When I worked at IBM, we had software on one of their types of workstations
that allowed this type of modeling.  I believe it was called View, but that
could've just been its prototype name because they were testing it out on us
engineers at the time.  I don't know if it's released yet.  If you know of an
IBM rep, call him/her and ask.  If you have no other leads, let me know and I
will call my former manager and see what he knows.

Kristine

cdl@mplvax.EDU (Carl Lowenstein) (09/29/89)

>Does anyone know of any programs that will allow me to design and
>test a logic design (AND's OR's NOR's NOT's XOR...) and play around
>with it?
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|       _ _	KLEIN BOTTLE for sale...
>	Shawn E. Koppenhoefer |	       |                      enquire within.
> ...watmath!rose!sekoppenhoef |	       -

If the key word is "play", look at the computer game "Rocky's Boots"
which is really a logic design game.  Available on many types of home-
size computers.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{decvax|ucbvax}	!ucsd!mplvax!cdl

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (09/30/89)

In article <1020@mplvax.EDU> cdl@mplvax.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any programs that will allow me to design and
>>test a logic design (AND's OR's NOR's NOT's XOR...) and play around
>>with it?

There is a public domain program called LogiLab that provide AND, OR, XOR,
INVERT, T-flipflop, D-flipflop, counter, signal input, and signal output.
The logic is placed and connected graphically, once the circuit has been
connected you choose where to sample the signal (a window is opened to
serve as a simple logic analyzer -- displaying the sampled signal).

It does not compete with System HILO, but then it is PD and does not cost
$180,000.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (G. Wang) (10/02/89)

In article <6687@ingr.com> phil@ingr.UUCP (Phil Johnson) writes:
>INVERT, T-flipflop, D-flipflop, counter, signal input, and signal output.
>The logic is placed and connected graphically, once the circuit has been
>connected you choose where to sample the signal (a window is opened to
>serve as a simple logic analyzer -- displaying the sampled signal).
>
>It does not compete with System HILO, but then it is PD and does not cost
>$180,000.

Hi there! I am VERY interested in this LogiLab program.. What is the
latest version and where can I obtain this program? Is it on
SIMTEL? If so, which directory? If not, what is the author's
address so I can contact him...

If anyone else knows of other programs like the one above I would
appreciate it if you could email me with that info.. THANKS!

George Wang
University of Illinois
gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (10/02/89)

I appologize for not giving more details on LogicLab in my posting.  LogicLab
runs on the Amiga computer and is available on a number of public domain BBSs.
I believe that it is included in either the Fred Fisk or Amicus PD disk
collections.

I do not have the current version or author information available at this time
but will try to post it later.