[sci.electronics] Splitting audio signal from Cable television

arb2@uafhcx.uucp (Allan R Baker) (10/02/89)

I am interested in knowing if anyone knows  of a way to split the audio
from a television cable box before it goes into the television. For instance
if there were some type of inexpensive device out there that was connected
between the cable box and the television that would seperate the stereo sound
signals and send it to two audio jacks that could then be connected to audio
speakers. This would have the effect of producing stereo TV regardless of
whether your TV was stereo or not.

It seems logical to me that this would work.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Allan R Baker
arb2@uafhcx.uark.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (10/03/89)

In article <3192@uafcveg.uucp> arb2@uafhcx.uucp (Allan R Baker) writes:
>a way to split the audiofrom a television cable box before it goes in
>some type of inexpensive device

Yes to #1, and no to #2.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems;  7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, Phn 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853 -

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (10/04/89)

>I am interested in knowing if anyone knows  of a way to split the audio
>from a television cable box before it goes into the television. For instance
>if there were some type of inexpensive device out there that was connected
>between the cable box and the television that would seperate the stereo sound
>signals and send it to two audio jacks that could then be connected to audio
>speakers. This would have the effect of producing stereo TV regardless of
>whether your TV was stereo or not.

It's possible, but perhaps not as simple/inexpensive as you would like.

The audio component of a TV signal rides on a "subcarrier" which is located
at a known point with respect to the main carrier frequency (which is where
the video lives).  The easiest way to get the audio is to simply hook up
a TV tuner, which typically provide separate audio and video outputs at
certain intermediate (IF) frequencies, with the intention that these then
go on to the proper stages in a TV receiver.  If you can find and properly
connect a tuner, then all you need is the appropriate receiver to connect to
the audio IF output.  There may be a commercially-available unit which does
the whole job, and provides stereo audio for your amplifier, but I'm not
presently aware of one.

The simplest solution, if it fits your budget, is to get a stereo VCR and
use its audio outputs.  The VCR includes a tuner, and works as described above.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (10/04/89)

In article <3192@uafcveg.uucp> arb2@uafhcx.uucp (Allan R Baker) writes:

>I am interested in knowing if anyone knows  of a way to split the audio
>from a television cable box before it goes into the television. For instance
>if there were some type of inexpensive device out there that was connected
>between the cable box and the television that would seperate the stereo sound
>signals and send it to two audio jacks that could then be connected to audio
>speakers. This would have the effect of producing stereo TV regardless of
>whether your TV was stereo or not.

The device you are looking for is called a "tuner".  The signals you see
on the cable are a conglomeration of dozens of different stations, with
the video, luminance, audio, color burst, and horizontal and vertical
sync signals all present at once.  Find yourself a tuner that decodes
MTS stereo, run it through an amp, and bliss out.

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
31 Business Park Dr.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090