[sci.electronics] Noise generator

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/07/89)

In article <35357@apple.Apple.COM> kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) writes:
>	Solomon W. Golomb, "Shift Register Sequences,"
>	Holden Day, San Francisco. 1967.

This is indeed a classic book (reprinted by Aegean Park Press),
but it is NOT what the requestor asked for, which was a genuine
(not pseudo) random noise source.

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (10/07/89)

In article <131@arinc.UUCP> tsp@arinc.UUCP (Tony S. Patti,4-100C,,,) writes:
>...  I would also be interested in compiling a list of random
>(noise) sources even if no schematic was available.
>
>I am aware of only ONE article which details how to build a noise-based RNG:
>
>     "Build a Noise-Based Random Number Generator" by Terry Mayhugh which
>     appeared in the May 1981 BYTE Magazine (pages 452-456).

A back issue of Audio Amateur magazine contains an article that may be of
interest.  1985 #1, p. 17: "A Digital Noise Generator".  Try (603) 924-6371;
that's Old Colony Sound Labs, who carries back issues.

The circuit uses four MM5837 chips.  Each 5837 contains a CMOS 17-stage
linear-feedback shift register running asynchronously (from its own
internal R-C relaxation oscillator clock).  The outputs of the four
5837 chips are analog-summed, to smooth out and schmear out the
behavior of the individual 5837's.

Of course, an eager experimenter could easily do a couple of stunts to
further randomize and noise-ify the output noise:

	1)  Use 10  5837's instead of 4.  Run them off different supply
	    voltages and/or put a resistor directly on top of (some)
	    5837's to change their temperature.  Different V+ voltages
	    and temeperatures affects the clock periods of the individual
	    oscillators, further uncorrelating their outputs.

	2)  At the analog summing point, add in the noise from a
	    diode or two (using the Byte ckt or others)
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (10/08/89)

There is a good discussion of the basics of digital pseudo-random noise
generators in chapter 9 of "The Art of Electronics," by Horowitz and Hill
(I have the 1st edition, have not checked the new one).

They include a complete schematic for an adjustable bandwidth p-r noise
source, and claim that it is similar to the method used in the Hewlett
Packard 3722A.
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) (10/08/89)

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:

>There is a good discussion of the basics of digital pseudo-random noise
>generators in chapter 9 of "The Art of Electronics," by Horowitz and Hill
>(I have the 1st edition, have not checked the new one).

>They include a complete schematic for an adjustable bandwidth p-r noise
>source, and claim that it is similar to the method used in the Hewlett
>Packard 3722A.
>--
>Julian Vrieslander

For the "bible" on PN Generators (PN = Pseudo-noise), take a look at

	Solomon W. Golomb, "Shift Register Sequences,"
	Holden Day, San Francisco. 1967.

Sorry, no ISBN number on my copy of the book (preceeded the introduction
of ISBNs :-).

I have used this method to generate a noise comb for an antenna
resistance noise-bridge pretty successfully, instead of using the
standard zener knee method.  The biggest advantages are 1) it generates
a *huge* signal compared to the zener, and 2) a simple D.C. voltmeter
[measuring the TTL voltage level at the load when the PN sequence is
not running] is all it takes to get a very good estimate of the
noise density. (Well, it takes a calculator too, because there is
a sin(x)/x envelope :-) But, since it was for a home project, and I
don't own an oscilloscope, this became the most convenient noise
generator to build.

Caveat: Take great care if you want to use this as a pseudo-random number
generator for image dithering, for example.  You have been warned :-).

--
----
Kok Chen			kchen@apple.COM