[sci.electronics] Need info about CATV channel converter

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (10/11/89)

In my city, the local CATV network is owned by the Finnish PTT. About half of
the channels provided are in special CATV-channels, in "hyper-UHF"-band.
Normal TV-sets here have CATV-channels from 1 to 12 (it is something like
UHF-channels 70-82), but the PTT uses also CATV-channels to 13-30 (I don't
remember the last channel number, it might be even higher..) To receive
these channels (including MTV-Europe, CNN, Eurosport, Discovery, BBC Europe..)
one must buy or rent a converter box, which also includes descrambling for
future pay-channels. If I would buy the converter, it would be something like
$300 and $5.50 /month usage fee.. And if I would rent one.........
sompething like $15/month..
So..are there any ideas to do the conversion from these hyperchannels to
a normal UHF channel (around 40) ? I've heard about D-100, made in England,
but does it reach these channels??

All help is appreciated!

--Kauto
--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

grabhorn@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Steven W. Grabhorn) (10/11/89)

In article <HUOPIO.89Oct10133515@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
>Normal TV-sets here have CATV-channels from 1 to 12 (it is something like
>UHF-channels 70-82), but the PTT uses also CATV-channels to 13-30
>So..are there any ideas to do the conversion from these hyperchannels to
>a normal UHF channel (around 40) ? I've heard about D-100, made in England,
>but does it reach these channels??
>All help is appreciated!
>
>--Kauto

Radio Shack and other outlets here in the States used to sell a block
cable converter that shifted cable channels 14-36 onto the UHF band so
any cable un-ready tv could easily receive them.

They used to go for $40 but I'm sure you could find them for $25 nowdays.

Remote Control was not an option, however....

Steve
Steve Grabhorn, Code 645, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA, 92152
Phone:619-553-3454 Internet:grabhorn@nosc.mil UUCP:..!sdcsvax!nosc!grabhorn