[sci.electronics] Early Radio History

uusgta@swbatl.UUCP (4237) (10/11/89)

I'm interested in finding other's interested in the very early history of
radio and electronics (i.e. circa 1900).  I doubt there are many folks
here that are into this but I'd like to hear from any that are.  I am a
member of the Antique Wireless Association and various antique radio clubs
which are interesting if not a perfect fit.  I'm just wondering if there are
others on the net interested in trading email on the subject.  Got any strange
friends that babble about "coherers", "thermionic valves" or "audions?"
Send them my email address.

--
#	---Tom Adams---	| uunet!swbatl!uusgta or uusgta@swbatl.swbt.com
# I collect pre-1930 wireless, electrical and scientific books.

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (10/11/89)

In article <857@swbatl.UUCP> uusgta@swbatl.UUCP (4237) writes:
>I'm interested in finding other's interested in the very early history of
>radio and electronics (i.e. circa 1900).....
 [several lines deleted]
>others on the net interested in trading email on the subject.  Got any strange
>friends that babble about "coherers", "thermionic valves" or "audions?"

A couple of years ago my wife and I were visiting in The Netherlands
and toured EVOLUON, a museum-like place in Eindhoven owned by Philips
Company (they own Norelco, Signetics, and North American Philips here
in the USA).  Anyway, one of their displays is about radio, and part
of that display has a very old setup containing a coherer.  Having
tried to make one in my youth, I set about explaining how it worked to
my wife; while I was so doing an Evoluon employee overheard me, intro-
duced himself, and then activated the display for actual operation!
So I got to send some Morse code from their sparkgap transmitter to
their coherer-based receiver over a distance of at least ten feet! :-)
--Myron
--
Myron A. Calhoun, PhD EE, W0PBV, (913) 532-6350 (work), 539-4448 (home).
INTERNET: mac@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu