[sci.electronics] Laser Diodes

cad@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Owner of VLSI software) (03/25/88)

Hey, optics gurus!

How much current should be put through a laser diode from
a compact disc player?

200ma is my guess (a friend used about 1.2A and it slowly
got dimmer).

Thanks,
Chris Schumann			chris@leyden.cs.wisc.edu
(Mail to this address if possible)

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (03/26/88)

In article <5451@spool.cs.wisc.edu| cad@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Owner of VLSI software) writes:
|Hey, optics gurus!
|
|How much current should be put through a laser diode from
|a compact disc player?
|
|200ma is my guess (a friend used about 1.2A and it slowly
|got dimmer).
|
|Thanks,
|Chris Schumann			chris@leyden.cs.wisc.edu
|(Mail to this address if possible)

I didn't think that the laser diodes were VISIBLE. Are you
sure that it is visible?? I think it is Infra-Red

Ted G. Kekatos
backbone!ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk                     (312) 979-0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill South, IX-1F-460
Naperville & Wheaton Roads - Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA

wte@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Bill Eason) (03/28/88)

In article <2547@ihuxv.ATT.COM> tedk@ihuxv.UUCP (55624-Kekatos,T.G.) writes:
>In article <5451@spool.cs.wisc.edu| cad@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Owner of VLSI software) writes:
>|How much current should be put through a laser diode from
>|a compact disc player?
>|
>|200ma is my guess (a friend used about 1.2A and it slowly
>|got dimmer).
>
>I didn't think that the laser diodes were VISIBLE. Are you
>sure that it is visible?? I think it is Infra-Red

Even infrared light is visible at high power, isn't it?  Maybe pumping
1.2A of current into a diode made the IR visible (for a while).  As to
why it got dimmer?  High powered light sources (like the sun, for
example) tend to appear dimmer when you stare at them long enough :~)

just a thought....

Bill Eason   (803) 791-6917    ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!util5!wte
NCR Corporation	                ...!rutgers!mcnc!ece-csc!ncrcae!util5!wte
E & M Columbia   3325 Platt Springs Rd.   West Columbia, SC  29169

cad@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Owner of VLSI software) (03/29/88)

In article <2547@ihuxv.ATT.COM>, tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) writes:
> I wrote:
> |200ma is my guess (a friend used about 1.2A and it slowly
> |got dimmer).
>
> I didn't think that the laser diodes were VISIBLE. Are you
> sure that it is visible?? I think it is Infra-Red
> Ted G. Kekatos

Well it was visible, although I suspect that most of the energy
was in the infrared spectrum.  (I though lasers were supposed
to be monochromatic)?

The collumator (sp?) and semi-reflective mirror may have
shifted the frequency of the laser to be barely visible
it was never bright (never close to an LED), but if we
turned out all the lights and waited for our eyes to
adjust, we could just make out a little spot of red
on a sheet of paper.

Chris Schumann			chris@leyden.cs.wisc.edu

ssr@cos.com (Dave Kucharczyk) (03/29/88)

>>In article <5451@spool.cs.wisc.edu| cad@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Owner of VLSI software) writes:
>>|How much current should be put through a laser diode from
>>|a compact disc player?
>>|
>>|200ma is my guess (a friend used about 1.2A and it slowly
>>|got dimmer).

  More than likely it was getting dimmer because it was burning up, very much
like LED's do.  I believe that CD players use pulsed diodes, which will
be destroyed if you apply DC to them for any appreciable amount of time.

dave

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (03/30/88)

> Well it was visible, although I suspect that most of the energy
> was in the infrared spectrum.  (I though lasers were supposed
> to be monochromatic)?

Not necessarily monochromatic (although many are very nearly so), but
coherent (light waves "in step", making the construction of very
nearly zero-spreading beams possible (collumnated (sp?))).

Most laser diodes are, indeed, principally active in the infra-red,
quite a few, however, emit a detectable red light.--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121
...{ucbvax|decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!jnp   jnp@calmasd.GE.COM   GEnie: J.PANTONE

> Well it was visible, although I suspect that most of the energy
> was in the infrared spectrum...
> it was never bright (never close to an LED), but if we
> turned out all the lights and waited for our eyes to
> adjust, we could just make out a little spot of red
> on a sheet of paper.

Remember that there is no sharp dividing line between visible light and
infrared.  There is no frequency above which the stuff is visible and
below which it is not; the sensitivity of the eye simply gets poorer and
poorer as the frequency gets lower.  Eventually sensitivity falls to
essentially zero, but it's a gradual decline rather than a sharp transition.
Near-visible infrared is not completely invisible, especially in favorable
conditions (bright source, darkened room).
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

joel@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (joel s. kollin) (04/02/88)

Please be careful around invisible lights sources in general, and
lasers in particular. In order to see near IR radiation, you'll
probably have a LOT of it entering your eye, and if the source is
collimated it will come to a focus at the back of your retina.
This can cause damage at VERY LOW power levels.

I haven't played with laser diodes but I do work with gas lasers,
and have heard enough horror stories.  Please read up on the safety
considerations for IR lasers and buy the proper eauipment.
I believe you can purchase a material which converts the IR into
visible light, and presumably diffuses it too.  I think it's
relatively inexpensive.

joel

frederit@boulder.Colorado.EDU (FREDERICKS THOMAS M) (10/12/89)

	I just ordered some laser diodes from Unicorn Electronics.  The
	add said they are SB1053's.  Since they were only 10.00 apiece
	I thought they would be neat to experiment with.
	Questions:
		1) Does anyone know who makes them?  Maybe they also make
		a driver chip for it.

		2) Are these just junk, or has someone out there actually
		used them?

BTW if anyone is interested, the add is in the back of the new
BYTE IBM Edition.

	Thanks,
		Tom...

	Enter the point where reality and illusion merge to become one...
		tomf@boulder.colorado.edu

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (10/14/89)

Subject: Laser Diodes

	I just ordered some laser diodes from Unicorn Electronics.  The
	add said they are SB1053's.  Since they were only 10.00 apiece
	I thought they would be neat to experiment with.

		tomf@boulder.colorado.edu

It sounds like a good price.  Are they visable light or infared??

Frank Ball 2LR-O               frankb@hpsad.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard                (707) 794-4168
1212 Valley House Drive        fax:  (707) 794-4452
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999     I'm the NRA.