[sci.electronics] PC-AT bus

geno@andante.UUCP (Geno Rice) (10/20/89)

Can anyone point me to a detailed description of the PC-AT bus?
An earlier article mentioned the Eggebrecht book, which is excellent
as far as it goes but only covers the 8-bit bus of the original PC
(after all, the book came out in '83).

I need the definitions of the various signals together with min and max
timing specifications and set-up and hold requirements.

Geno Rice, allegra!geno

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/21/89)

In article <24842@andante.UUCP> geno@andante.UUCP (Geno Rice) writes:
|Can anyone point me to a detailed description of the PC-AT bus?
|
|I need the definitions of the various signals together with min and max
|timing specifications and set-up and hold requirements.

Sorry, there is no such document. IBM never published such numbers and
by now, there are so many different implementations that it would
probably be impossible to come up with specs which weren't violated by
a large number of machines.

You might find the IBM patents relating to the PC interesting, Michael
Slater's Microprocessor Report sells a collection for a reasonable
price. Another interesting approach might be to view the EISA specs,
this costs a rather larger amount of money at this time. You might
think that the data sheets and app notes from companies like Chips and
Technology would tell you something about the bus, but the documents
I've seen tell you very little.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Just say NO to the "War on Drugs".

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/22/89)

In article <24842@andante.UUCP> geno@andante.UUCP (Geno Rice) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a detailed description of the PC-AT bus?
>An earlier article mentioned the Eggebrecht book, which is excellent
>as far as it goes but only covers the 8-bit bus of the original PC
>(after all, the book came out in '83).

What about "random notes on interfacing to the IBM AT bus"? It is
available from ;

Microcomputer Applications
P.O. Box E
Sulsun City, Ca., 94585

+1 707 422 1465

The description reads 'Describes adapter board dimensions, PC-compatible
and "new" bus signals, 8/16 bit data transfers, I/O port and memory
interfacing. Also describes the AT's added 16-bit DMA channels and additional
8259 programmable interrupt controller for interupt cascading."

It is $20.00 US. I have it, i was looking for more information on
constructing a board with a CPU and dual ported RAM available to the
board and to the AT. The book did not have this information, but i
remeber there being some detailed specs for the bus in it(i can't
find it right now.)

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (10/24/89)

> In article <24842@andante.UUCP> geno@andante.UUCP (Geno Rice) writes:
> |Can anyone point me to a detailed description of the PC-AT bus?
> |
> |I need the definitions of the various signals together with min and max
> |timing specifications and set-up and hold requirements.

Faraday (Electronics ?), the makers of PC-clone motherboards for OEM use,
will send a catalog which includes a bus description section (not really a
spec).  It is skimpy on the full timing specs, but does have some useful
data in it.

--
Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
         {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!elliott