[sci.electronics] More Silicon Valley Damage

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/26/89)

Can anyone comment on the damage to the semiconductor production lines?
Will there be shortages of 486, SPARC, or MIPS processors?  How about
more obscure chips which are necessary to certain high-profile products,
like the SBus interface chip from LSI Logic used in the SparcStation 1?

alan@mtxinu.COM (Alan Tobey) (10/26/89)

In article <23374@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Can anyone comment on the damage to the semiconductor production lines?
>Will there be shortages of 486, SPARC, or MIPS processors?  How about
>more obscure chips which are necessary to certain high-profile products,
>like the SBus interface chip from LSI Logic used in the SparcStation 1?

One production line which surely wasn't quake-damaged is that of Micron
Technologies in Boise Idaho.  MCRN, trading at c. $12 and half its '89
high, is a profitable maker of DRAM and SRAM chips and some board-level
products (for example, a Mac II video controller).  MCRN is my current
number-one pick for a potential triple in pricewithin 18 months.  It's
depressed partly because the computer industry appears to be slowing and
partly becasue Wall Street can't see the differences between now and the last
time RAM prices declined.

CAUTION:  I own a bunch of MCRN.

chedley@psueea.uucp (Chedley A. Aouriri) (10/27/89)

In article <1028@mtxinu.UUCP> alan@mtxinu.UUCP (Alan Tobey) writes:

>One production line which surely wasn't quake-damaged is that of Micron
>Technologies in Boise Idaho.  MCRN, trading at c. $12 and half its '89
>high, is a profitable maker of DRAM and SRAM chips and some board-level
>products (for example, a Mac II video controller).  MCRN is my current
>CAUTION:  I own a bunch of MCRN.

I disagree with you on the prospects of MCRN and other producers of DRAM's.
MCRN invested a lot of money to build huge production capacity, at a time when
most other major producers were shutting down their plants. It is now stuck with
a high fixed cost in a cut throat commodity business dominated by the huge
japanese conglomerates.

The stock market recognized this and halved MCRN's stock price over the last
year. The beating may not be over, as MCRN is left lonely to compete with the
major japanese and far eastern producers of DRAM's.

CAUTION: I shorted (and closed) a bunch of MCRN, and made a bundle on it!

..CHEDLEY..