[sci.electronics] Device to determine caller's phone number

firat@alberta.uucp (Firat Uludamar) (10/24/89)

Is there a device that could be attached to a phone to figure out what
number an incoming call originated from? If yes, any information about the
manufacturer(s), price, availability etc. are appreciated. Thanks.

Firat
firat@alberta.uucp      firat@cs.ualberta.ca      firat@ualtamts.bitnet

In article <1989Oct23.204225.13207@alberta.uucp> firat@alberta.uucp (Firat Uludamar) writes:
>Is there a device that could be attached to a phone to figure out what
>number an incoming call originated from? ...

Sigh... this one comes up regularly.  (Anyone for a sci.electronics
frequently-asked-questions list?)  This CANNOT BE DONE without cooperation
from your phone company.  The phone exchange normally does not send any
indication of the calling number to your line, and there is no way for
a gadget on your line to ask for it.  Some phone companies in some areas
are semi-experimentally offering such a service, at extra cost.  Call your
phone company to find out whether it is available and at what price.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

reynhout@wpi.wpi.edu (Andrew Reynhout) (10/25/89)

   (lookling for a device that will display callER's phone number)

   No, such a beast does NOT exist - except in areas where the TelCo is testing
a somewhat old yet still not implemented SS called LASS (also CLASS).  Anyway,
the feature is ICLID (Individual Calling Line ID or similar), and I think the
only place currently testing is the Philadelphia/Lancaster PA area.

   HOWEVER.  Some TelCo lines as well as lines leased (very expensively) by
private companies (nearly *always* LDS carriers!) CAN be equipped with a little
CO assistance i]to at least have the calling line's number available, if not
always automagically displayed.  (This is called ANI, automatic number ID, and
is not something they really want to talk about.  I mean, it's all over the
Bell Tech Journals, and you'll occasionally see them bragging about ESS, but
they don't like questions.)

   Andrew

--
  Andrew Reynhout   (Internet: reynhout@wpi.wpi.edu)

  "Maybe if we pretend this never happened, they'll all just...go away."
                                           - Laurie Anderson

nagle@well.UUCP (John Nagle) (10/27/89)

       This service is available to local customers in a number of areas,
including Orlando (FL), and parts of NJ.  When provided, the calling number
is transmitted digitally, once, between the first and second rings.
There is no error recovery, although you could refuse to answer the phone.
There's some controversy over whether and under what circumstances
unlisted numbers should be transmitted.

       Calling number identification is provided to 800 and 900 number
subscribers right now if they want it.  AT&T is presently having a marketing
push for this service.  The home-shopping people are very excited about
this.  Since 800 and 900 service is purchased from an inter-LATA carrier,
the calling number is already available to the inter-LATA carrier from
all exchanges, a feature that was required to make equal access work.
(Before equal access, all long-distance billing data was captured at the
originating central office.  Now, caller ID is passed to the inter-LATA
carrier, which does its own billing.)

       Incidentally, 800 and 900 subscribers apparently get correct
caller identification for all callers, regardless of listed/unlisted status.

					John Nagle

johnk@opel.uu.net (John Kennedy) (10/27/89)

This subject, along with ethical, legal and moral issues are being hammered
to death in comp.dcom.telecom.

The service seems to be more and more widespread, with the occasional
sprinkle of restraining order against it.

John

--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.uu.uunet
Second Source, Inc.