[sci.electronics] Long-range cordless phones?

pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) (10/14/89)

Most cordless phones are advertised as having a range of 700 to 1000 feet
(under good circumstances). Are there any that have a considerably larger
range, such as 2000 to 3000 feet. That would make them much more useful.
-=-
Peter Dotzauer: Numerical Cartography Lab, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
         VOICE: (614) 292-1357  FAX: 292-9180  DATA: 293-0081
        BITNET: ts3285@ohstvma UUCP: ...!osu-cis!hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu!pjd
          FIDO: 1:226/50       ARPA: pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu [128.146.1.5]

arens@hpai03.isi.edu (Yigal Arens) (10/17/89)

In article <330@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>,
pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
> Most cordless phones are advertised as having a range of 700 to 1000 feet
> (under good circumstances). Are there any that have a considerably larger
> range, such as 2000 to 3000 feet. That would make them much more useful.

I'd be happy just to find one that actually provided the advertised
range, or anything barely approaching it.  I've owned several cordless
phones over the past few years and I've found that their effective
range is about 1/10 of what the manufacturers claim, i.e. no more than
100ft.  This is for speech.  The phone will ring ok over a much
greater distance -- but that isn't of any use if you can hardly hear
the other party, is it?

Has anyone ever used a cordless phone that provided decent sound
quality beyond 100ft?

Yigal Arens
USC/ISI
arens@isi.edu

kurtk@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Kurt Krueger) (10/17/89)

You will discover that the power is severly limited for a radio transmitter
that is operated without a license (which is just what a cordless phone is).
The FCC limits the power such that the effective range is about 750 feet.
This doesn't mean that you get very clear transmission at even that range.
Advertising does the rest.

As in most cases, there are phones out there that a significantly worse.  My
phone has its good and bad days.  Just depends on what else is putting out
static on what frequency.  One feature that seems to help is the fact that
my phone (a Sony) automatically searches the allocated 10 phone channels
for a quiet one.  If your conversation starts to get noisy, you can have the
phone search for a quieter channel (it usually helps, but not always a lot).

kurtk@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Kurt Krueger)	| Everything runs on smoke.  When the
  Electrical Simulation Group (ECAX)	| smoke leaks out, it stops working.
    D.S. 59-432  (503) 627-4363		|
________________________________________|_______________________________________

cj@hpsad.HP.COM (Chris Johnson) (10/20/89)

    I have a Southwestern Bell FF7700 (or is it 1700?). Anyway, it is
    (or was) advertised as having 1500 foot range. I have used it all the
    way out to the parking lot at my apartment complex, probably over 1500
    feet from the base unit. It gets a bit noisy at that distance, but is
    definitely useable. This phone has a keypad and speaker phone in the
    base unit and is advertised as "actually two phones in one".

    -cj
    cj@hpsad.hp.com

cj@hpsad.HP.COM (Chris Johnson) (10/25/89)

    Oops! I wrote:

    >(or was) advertised as having 1500 foot range. I have used it all the
    >way out to the parking lot at my apartment complex, probably over 1500
								       ^^^^
    >feet from the base unit. It gets a bit noisy at that distance, but is

    That was supposed to be 500 not 1500, I've never tried it quite that far.
    BTW, I live on the 2nd floor, so the antenna's up there a bit.

    -cj
    cj@hpsad.hp.com

----------

nsayer@uop.EDU (Nick Sayer) (10/26/89)

arens@hpai03.isi.edu (Yigal Arens) writes:
>Has anyone ever used a cordless phone that provided decent sound
>quality beyond 100ft?

Southwest Bell makes one that I'm particularly happy with. Unfortunately,
it's one that my folks own, while I own a cheapie Panasonic I'm not so
pleased with. I have no range figures, but know there are very few places
in my parent's palacial 3 story estate (serious :-) here...) that it won't
get a full-quieting signal both directions. It's called the "freedom phone,"
but I don't know any model numbers beyond that. CVN is selling 'em this
month for $169 and I may just buckle under...

Nick Sayer | ...{ apple!cheers | pacbell!cogent }!quack!mrapple
... or cheers!quack!mrapple@apple.COM
Packet radio: N6QQQ @ WB6V | FredMail: NSAYER@MADERA%NORCAL
Disclaimer: The BBC would like to appologise for that announcement

dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) (10/27/89)

Isn't what you're asking for already available under the generic name
of cellular phone?

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'C is cool, but what about LOGO?' Newton) (10/29/89)

In article <7600027@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) writes:
>Isn't what you're asking for already available under the generic name
>of cellular phone?

   I thought that cordless phones were restricted to a 1500' range.

   And they're slightly different from a cellular I do believe :-)

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--