[sci.electronics] Digital Audio Interface

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (10/29/89)

I have a Magnavox CD player model CDB-460.
Yesterday I was scoping the digital output
from the rear panel and noticed that it almost looks like AES/EBU
format!  Does anybody have timing diagrams for the digital output
from the CDB-460??  I'd like to know if it's close enough
to fake out a typical AES/EBU interface. ( Channel status
excluded of course).

I also have an Aiwa Excella XD001 DAT recorder.  I noticed that
the DAT's digital output looks suspiciously like AES/EBU.  Does
anybody have any timing diagrams for this beast as well??

Finally,  has anyone out there used the YAMAHA YM3613B Digital
Audio Interface Transmitter chip??  It looks a lot like AES/EBU
as well although YAMAHA does not say so explicitly.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Thompson

dar@telesoft.com (David Reisner) (10/31/89)

In article <2551@radio.oakhill.UUCP>, charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:
> I have a Magnavox CD player model CDB-460.
> Yesterday I was scoping the digital output
> from the rear panel and noticed that it almost looks like AES/EBU
> format!
>
> I also have an Aiwa Excella XD001 DAT recorder.  I noticed that
> the DAT's digital output looks suspiciously like AES/EBU.

The digital outputs from CD players and DAT decks ARE AES/EBU.  (Actually,
they're the Japanese version, which flips a couple of subchannel bits.)

Motorola (the original poster's company) may be coming out with a set of
"AES/EBU" chips.  They would be the first domestic supplier (a practical
consideration for US manufacturers).

-David
{uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!dar, dar@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu