[sci.electronics] Telephone privacy gadgets

tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) (10/16/89)

I have no idea where to post this!

There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-3683
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

gregk@ubvax.UB.Com (Greg Kendall) (10/17/89)

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>I have no idea where to post this!
>
>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

There was a long discusion of this point on another group a while back.
The long and short of it was, NO, they don't work, because of day to day
variations in tx lines, etc, etc.

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

They can't; it's fundamentally impossible.  Competently-installed recording
devices leave absolutely no sign of their presence on the phone line, unless
one is deliberately provided.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/17/89)

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

Of course not.  I suppose they might be able to notice if someone hangs
another phone on the line and picks it up and listens, but there are lots
of ways to tap a phone that are not electrically detectable.  For starters,
the person at the other end might put the microphone of a recorder next
to the earpiece.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (10/17/89)

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

The answer is an absolutely definite maybe, with an appended probably not.

First, "being recorded": There are ways -- of varying reliability -- to tell
if your line has been tapped, but it'll require something on the order of
deitic omniscience to tell you what's being done with that signal. Still, it's
very likely that if you're tapped, you're being recorded.

ECM -- governmentese for "electronic countermeasures" -- that apply to a tele-
phone system fall into three categories: Prevention, detection and correction.

Prevention (as usual) is the best, but what you asked about is detection. You
can buy from various sources instruments purported to tell you if your line has
an unauthorized tap on it. Do they work?

Usually not.

The methods vary. You can measure line impedance, which will detect low budget/
unsophisticated taps, you can listen for noise on the line, which is useless,
or you can use TDM.

That's technicalese for Time Domain Reflectometry. The idea is that you send a
sharp pulse signal down the line, and watch carefully (i.e., with an expensive
instrument) for reflections of the pulse which occur at every sufficiently
abrupt impedance change in the line (i.e., at a tap). The TDM system also
detects other telephones, connections to the service block, extension line
connections, staples which penetrate the insulation, sharp kinks in the wire,
etc. The TDM "signature" of the line is a pretty complex signal. This means
that you must have the signature of a "clean" line, and compare this with your
signatures as time goes on. When you spot a change, look into it.

Is that reliable? Well...sort of. I've heard that you can tell from the
location of a new blip in the signature where on the line the new impedance
lump is located (which squares with my [sketchy] knowledge of TDM), but two
other sources say that's a lot of bushwah in practice. It seems that you end
up doing a physical inspection of the entire line anyway, which can be done
without coughing up kilobucks for the TDM instrumentation and technician.

For an authorized tap (done by the TelCo), forget detection. It's done at the
central office (entirely in software, I'm told) and there exists no reasonable
detection method from your end of the line.

We should note that TDM methods usually involve breaking the line connection
at the service entrance and terminating the block with the line's
characteristic impedance, so you're not connected to TelCo when you do that
test. That means that it isn't likely to tell you anything useful about a tap
that's farther down the line than the telephone pole. Getting the signature of
the connected line 1) may cause trouble with the TelCo circuitry and 2) changes
anytime the TelCo techs do some line service, anythime the wind blows hard,
and usually changes a bit when it rains.

This applies to most detection methods: A simple bug is fairly easy to detect;
a sophisticated one very difficult. The measures have a way of staying a step
or two ahead of the countermeasures.

Additionally, there's the cost factor. As expensive as GOOD bugging equipment
is, the corresponding ECM stuff is a lot more expensive. Additionally, if I
decided to tap your line, I don't waste money picking out lines at random: I
just install the tap, sit back, listen, record, and prepare my blackmail
info.

On the other hand, you are in a worse position. Have I in fact bugged your
line? You do a fairly simple (inexpensive) check. Nothing. Was your line
bugged, or was it done in a way that you failed to detect? You spend more
money and time. Still nothing, but you're still worried. Lotsa money later,
you discover a fairly sophisticated radio transmitter, which you remove.
There are no fingerprints, or anything else conclusive with which you can
nail me. Still, everything's OK now, right?

Right? Well...was that the only bug there? Was it placed for you to find, with
another bug (which you haven't detected) backing it up? Did I place another
bug after you found this one? Am I, in fact, the one who put it there?

As you see, this sort of thing can lead directly to recursive paranoia. The
bugger has advantage; the buggee the disadvantage.

The only real safety is the preventative one: don't say anything on the
telephone that you wish to remain private!

Here's the best advice I've heard: If you're going to spend money on 'phone
security, you're better off buying expertise than equipment.

					Pay your 'phone bill,

          "In all levels of life, the sheep are only safe
                  when the wolves are not hungry." -- F.J. Lovret
     Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/17/89)

All right, it has now been established that there are no reliable means of
detecting a sophisticated phone tap.
Preventation: does anyone know of cheap but reasonably reliable scramblers ?
--
* * * Otto J. Makela (otto@jyu.fi, MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET) * * * * * * *
* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 2400/1200/300) *

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (10/18/89)

In article <776@ariel.unm.edu> ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu.UUCP (Duke McMullan n5gax) writes:
>In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?
>
>The answer is an absolutely definite maybe, with an appended probably not.
>
>First, "being recorded": There are ways -- of varying reliability -- to tell
>if your line has been tapped, but it'll require something on the order of
>deitic omniscience to tell you what's being done with that signal. Still, it's
>very likely that if you're tapped, you're being recorded.
>
>Prevention (as usual) is the best, but what you asked about is detection. You
>can buy from various sources instruments purported to tell you if your line has
>an unauthorized tap on it. Do they work?
>
>Usually not.
>
>The methods vary. You can measure line impedance, which will detect low budget/
>unsophisticated taps, you can listen for noise on the line, which is useless,
>or you can use TDM.

     You mean TDR. TDM is Time Division Multiplexing and can't help you
detect a phone tap.

>That's technicalese for Time Domain Reflectometry. The idea is that you send a
>sharp pulse signal down the line, and watch carefully (i.e., with an expensive
>instrument) for reflections of the pulse which occur at every sufficiently
>abrupt impedance change in the line (i.e., at a tap). The TDM system also
>detects other telephones, connections to the service block, extension line
>connections, staples which penetrate the insulation, sharp kinks in the wire,
>etc. The TDM "signature" of the line is a pretty complex signal. This means
>that you must have the signature of a "clean" line, and compare this with your
>signatures as time goes on. When you spot a change, look into it.
>
>Is that reliable? Well...sort of.

     Actually it is very reliable provided you know the layout of the location you want tested. Testing in your home with a TDR would be a waste of time.
It would take you less time to walk through the house to the junction box
the it would to call Rent-A-Center to get a TDR.
But if you know how the wires run in your office it can provide a clear indication of additional devices being attached to a line.

>For an authorized tap (done by the TelCo), forget detection. It's done at the
>central office (entirely in software, I'm told) and there exists no reasonable
>detection method from your end of the line.

     This is true except that it's not entirely done by software. The software
keys the line to be tested but the instrument that does the recording is put
'on-line' which will add to the impedance load. This (if you happened to be a
a phone company technician in the building could be detected) used to be the
little click you would hear. The click still happens only now it's a lot
softer.

>We should note that TDM methods usually involve breaking the line connection
>at the service entrance and terminating the block with the line's
>characteristic impedance, so you're not connected to TelCo when you do that
>test.

     If you had the money and the paranoia you could simply tie in your TDR
and your phone into a diplex plug and eliminate the first reflection on your
scope by zeroing your meter after the pulse caused by your telephone/TDR.
You don't have to disrupt the line to measure. This point could probably be
debated regarding using and pulsing at the same time but my personal feeling
is that the frequencies wouldn't interfere or bring down any equipment.

>This applies to most detection methods: A simple bug is fairly easy to detect;
>a sophisticated one very difficult. The measures have a way of staying a step
>or two ahead of the countermeasures.
>Additionally, there's the cost factor. As expensive as GOOD bugging equipment
>is, the corresponding ECM stuff is a lot more expensive.

     Generally speaking cost can be pretty high however a reliable undetectable
bug can be planted for around $100.00. It all comes down to where you plant it.

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (10/18/89)

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
}
}There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
}the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

Consumer Reports tested a bunch of these some time ago.  None of them
worked as claimed.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

marks@whizbang.umiacs.umd.edu (Mark Schleifer) (10/19/89)

   If a person who knows what they are doing puts a tap on your phone you
won't be able to detect it.  If you are willing to spend some money your best
bet is to buy a scrambler.  This will convert your message into a digital
format which is almost impossible to decode.  The only downside to this is
that both parties must have them but they make any bugs on your line useless.
You can even get portable scrablers that work with car phones.

	- Mark

Spoken: Mark Schleifer
Domain: marks@umiacs.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!umiacs!marks
Phone: +1-301-454-7678  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (10/24/89)

>In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
>}There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>}the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?
Naaaaah :=)
I just got one of those yupscale catalogs at home.
It has a phone monitor plug-in which will beep if the operator
or someone on an extension phone picks up.  The good part of the
ad said "Warning. THis device will not detect the ultrsophisticated
devices used by the CIA and KGB. If you are being monitored by one
of these groups, you need a lot more help than this [gadget]
can give you."
well, true...

--
Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl

waters@darla.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) (10/24/89)

In article <20247@mimsy.umd.edu> marks@umiacs.umd.edu (Mark Schleifer) writes:
}
}   If a person who knows what they are doing puts a tap on your phone you
}won't be able to detect it.  If you are willing to spend some money your best
}bet is to buy a scrambler.  This will convert your message into a digital
}format which is almost impossible to decode.  The only downside to this is
}that both parties must have them but they make any bugs on your line useless.
}You can even get portable scrablers that work with car phones.

The only problem with scramblers are that they they don't work! The problem
is that the actual number of codes is very limited (of course the dial may
have 10M or more codes, but most of them are duplicates!).

Audio scrambling using analog means is very easy to break as a result,
digital scrambling can be made extremly difficult but requires 3-4X the
bandwidth of the telephone line (2.5Khz Vs 16Khz). Not something you can use
from your home or office.

           *Mike Waters    AA4MW/7  waters@dover.sps.mot.com *
He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting industry
attacks democracy itself.
		-- William S. Paley, chairman of CBS

ted@nmsu.edu (Ted Dunning) (10/24/89)

In article <1917@dover.sps.mot.com> waters@darla.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) writes:

   Audio scrambling using analog means is very easy to break as a
   result, digital scrambling can be made extremly difficult but
   requires 3-4X the bandwidth of the telephone line (2.5Khz Vs
   16Khz). Not something you can use from your home or office.

this comment about bandwidth is inaccurate in these days of 9600 baud
modems.  adaptive delta modulation can transmit very reasonable speech
over less than 9600 bits per second and encryption at this rate is not
difficult with dedicated hardware (and probably not out of reach for
something like a mips or sparc processor in software).

vocoder techniques can reduce the bit rate requirements to
approximately 2400 bits per second, but you tend to buy back the
sophistication of the modem with the sophistication of the coding for
the speech.

--
ted@nmsu.edu
			Dem Dichter war so wohl daheime

johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) (10/24/89)

In article <1917@dover.sps.mot.com> waters@darla.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) writes:
>Audio scrambling using analog means is very easy to break as a result,
>digital scrambling can be made extremly difficult but requires 3-4X the
>bandwidth of the telephone line (2.5Khz Vs 16Khz). Not something you can use
>from your home or office.

I know that there are NSA approved secure telephone systems for voice
grade lines, I have seen ads in Aviation Week & Space Technology for the
systems.  Unfortunately, the NSA doesn't allow distribution of the
technical manuals to ordinary civilians.

Are there any low bit rate, commercially available voice encoder/decoder
chips? I have seen variable slope delta modulation chips in
unclassified, commercial equipment at 24/32 kbps.  Decent audio quality
but too fast for a normal voice grade line modem.

The voice encoder/decoder seems to be the hardest part of a secure
digital phone system.  A relatively inexpensive system could be
assembled with DES encryption and a V.32 modem.

--
John A. Limpert			I'm the NRA!
Internet: johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET	UUCP: uunet!n3dmc!johnl

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (10/27/89)

In article <799@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:

>There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
>the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?

Terry, as far as I know they work.  In fact, there is now a phone with
such circuitry built-in.  If you'd like more info on the phone, drop me
an email note and I'll send you the ordering info.

Peace,

Gene

In article <2165@xyzzy.UUCP>, gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) writes:
> >There are gadgets one can put on a telephone that purport to tell you if
> >the conversation is being recorded. Does anyone know if they work?
>
> Terry, as far as I know they work.  In fact, there is now a phone with
> such circuitry built-in.  If you'd like more info on the phone, drop me
> an email note and I'll send you the ordering info.

	Save your money.  These gadgets do *NOT* work, except in the
trivial case of a third party picking up an extension telephone at the
premises where the "gadget" is located.

	About four months ago, I submitted a rather comprehensive article
on this topic to comp.dcom.telecom; the balance of this article contains
text from the above.  If anyone wants a factual answer to the efficacy
of these devices, then read the following...

- - - - - - - - - -

Subject: Myth and Reality About Eavesdropping
Date: 13 Jul 89 03:34:02 GMT

> ] >I might add this is how the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the CIA
> ] >also listen to you (assuming authorized taps, of course). When telco is
> ] >served with a court order to apply a tap to your line, they tie another
> ] >pair on your line in the office and send it through a coil and off to the
> ] >FBI.

[some text deleted]

	Most CO (central office) eavesdropping intercepts in a BOC CO
are today performed using a modified MFT (Metallic Facility Termination)
circuit pack which places about a 100,000 ohm isolated bridging impedance
across the subscriber line.  Supervisory signaling is detected on the
subscriber loop using a high-impedance electronic circuit, and the
signaling is repeated in an isolated fashion using the A and B leads of
the repeating coil in the MFT to "reconstruct" a CO line for the benefit
of monitoring apparatus.

	The entire purpose of the above effort is to prevent any trouble
or noise on the intercept line or monitoring apparatus from causing any
trouble, noise or transmission impairment on the subject line.

	Some BOC's may elect to use service observing apparatus to provide
the necessary isolation and repeated loop supervisory signaling.  Less
common are locally engineered variations which merely use an isolation
amplifier from an MFT or other 4-wire repeater, and which provide no
repeated supervisory signaling (which is not all that necessary, since
voice-activated recorders and DTMF signaling detectors can be used, and
since dial pulses can be counted by playing a tape at slow speed).

	Today, the use of a "bridge lifter" retardation coil for the
purpose of connecting an eavesdropping intercept line is virtually
non-existent since they do not provide sufficient isolation and since
they provide a fair amount of insertion loss without loop current on
the "observing" side.  Bridge lifter coils are primarily intended for
answering service intercept lines, and consist of a dual-winding inductor
which passes 20 Hz ringing and whose windings easily saturate when DC
current flows.  Bridge lifter coils are used to minimize the loading effect
(and consequent transmission impairment) of two subscriber loops on one
CO line.  Bridge lifter coils provide a significant insertion loss at voice
frequencies toward the idle loop; i.e., the loop in use will have DC
current flow, saturating the inductor, and reducing its insertion loss to
1.0 dB or less.

> ] If so, does this mean that the electronically inclined and paranoid
> ] among us might be able to keep track of when we are being bugged by
> ] measuring the impedance and capacitance of our lines?

> Actually, it's already been done.

> ] Maybe Sharper Image will start selling a box to watch your line and
> ] tell you when its electrical properties change in a suspicious way?

> I don't know if Sharper Image sells them, but there are any number of
> "security consulting" firms which do.  They include boxes which sit
> beside/beneath the phone to a replacement microphone for a 2500 set
> which has a little LED that lights up if the characteristics of the line
> change...

	As the author of the second article stated, these gadgets are for
the paranoid who have nothing better to waste their money on.

	The simple truth of the matter is that there is NO WAY for any
person using ANY type of apparatus at the telephone set location to
ascertain whether there is a properly installed eavesdropping device
connected across their line in the CO.  The only way such a determination
can be made is through the cooperation of the telephone company.

	For that matter, there is virtually no way for any person using
any type of apparatus in their premises to ascertain if there is ANY type
of eavesdropping apparatus installed ANYWHERE on their telephone line
outside their premises, unless the eavesdropping apparatus was designed
or installed in an exceptionally crude manner (not likely today).  Some
types of eavesdropping apparatus may be located, but only with the full
cooperation of the telephone company.

	The sole capability of these nonsense gadgets is to ascertain if
an extension telephone is picked up during a telephone call, which is
hardly a likely scenario for serious eavesdropping!

	These screw-in-the-handset gadgets work by sensing the voltage
across the carbon transmitter circuit, and using a control to null this
voltage using a comparator circuit.  When a person makes a telephone call,
the control is adjusted until the light just goes out.  If an extension
telephone at the user's end is picked up during the call, the increased
current drain of a second telephone set will decrease the voltage across
the carbon transmitter circuit, unbalancing the voltage comparator circuit,
and thereby causing the LED to light.

	These voltage comparator "tap detectors" cannot even be left with
their setpoint control in the same position, because the effective voltage
across a subscriber loop will vary depending upon the nature of the call
(except in the case of an all digital CO), and upon other conditions in
the CO.  Electromechanical and analog ESS CO's may present different
characteristics to the telephone line, depending upon whether it is used
at the time of: an originated intraoffice call (calling side of intraoffice
trunk), an answered intraoffice call (called side of intraoffice trunk),
an originated tandem call (interoffice tandem trunk), an originated toll
call (toll trunk), or an answered tandem/toll call (incoming tandem or toll
trunk).  There is usually enough variation in battery feed resistance due
to design and component tolerance changes on these different trunks to
cause a variation of up to several volts measured at the subscriber end
for a given loop and given telephone instrument.

	Even more significant are variations in CO battery voltage, which
can vary (within "normal limits") from 48 volts to slightly over 52 volts,
depending upon CO load conditions.  50 to 51 volts in most CO's is a typical
daily variation.  If anyone is curious, connect an _isolated_ voltage
recorder or data logger to a CO loop and watch the on-hook voltage
variations; in many CO's the resultant voltage vs 24-hour time curve will
look just like the inverse of a busy-hour graph from a telephone traffic
engineering text!

	In some all-digital CO apparatus, the subscriber loop signaling is
performed by a solid-state circuit which functions as a constant-current
(or current-limiting) device.  With such a solid-state circuit controlling
loop current, there is no longer ANY meaningful reference to CO battery
voltage; i.e., one cannot even use short-circuit loop current at the
subscriber location to even estimate outside cable plant resistance.

	To explode this myth even further, let's do a little Ohm's Law:

1.	Assume a CO loop with battery fed from a dual-winding A-relay (or
line relay, ESS ferrod line scanner element, or whatever) having 200 ohms
to CO battery and 200 ohms to ground.

2.	Assume a CO loop of 500 ohms (a pretty typical loop).

3.	Assume an eavesdropping device with a DC resistance of 100,000 ohms
(this is still pretty crude, but I'm being generous with my example).

4.	Using some simple Ohm's law, the presence or absence of this
hypothetical eavesdropping device at the SUBSCRIBER PREMISES will result
in a voltage change of less than 0.5 volt when measured in the on-hook
state.  This voltage change is much less than normal variations of CO
battery voltage.

5.	Using some simple Ohm's law, the presence or absence of this
hypothetical eavesdropping device at the CENTRAL OFFICE LOCATION will
result in a voltage change of less than 0.2 volt when measured in the
on-hook state.  This voltage change is an order of magnitude less than
the expected normal variation of CO battery voltage!

	Measuring voltage variations on a subscriber loop in an effort to
detect a state-of-the-art eavesdropping device is meaningless, regardless
of resolution of a voltage measuring device, since the "signal" is in
effect buried in the "noise".

	Moving on to the subject of subscriber line impedance...

	There is simply no way for any device located on the subscriber's
premises to obtain any MEANINGFUL information concerning the impedance
characteristics of the subscriber loop and whether or not anything "unusual"
is connected at the CO (or for that matter, anywhere else on the subscriber
loop).  There are a number of reasons why this is the case, which include
but are not limited to:

1.	The impedance of a typical telephone cable pair results from
distributed impedance elements, and not lumped elements.  Non-loaded
exchange area cable (22 to 26 AWG @ 0.083 uF/mile capacitance) is generally
considered to have a characteristic impedance of 600 ohms (it actually
varies, but this is a good compromise figure).  Loaded exchange area cable,
such as H88 loading which are 88 mH coils spaced at 6 kft intervals, is
generally considered to have a a characteristic impedance of 900 ohms (it
actually varies between 800 and 1,200 ohms, but 900 ohms is generally
regarded as a good compromise figure for the voice frequency range of 300
to 3,000 Hz).  What this means is that a bridged impedance of 100,000 ohms
located in the CO on a typical subscriber loop will result in an impedance
change measured at the SUBSCRIBER LOCATION of 0.1% or less.  That's IF you
could measure the impedance change at the subscriber location.

2.	As a general rule of thumb, the impedance of an exchange area
telephone cable pair changes ONE PERCENT for every TEN DEGREES Fahrenheit
temperature change.  Actual impedance changes are a function of the
frequency at which the impedance is measured, but the above rule is
pretty close for the purposes of this discussion.

3.	Moisture in the telephone cable causes dramatic changes in its
impedance characteristics.  While this may appear obvious in the case of
pulp (i.e., paper) insulated conductors, it is also characteristic of
polyethylene (PIC) insulated conductors.  Only gel-filled cable (icky-PIC),
which still represents only a small percentage of installed cable plant,
is relatively immune from the effects of moisture.

4.	From a practical standpoint, it is extremely difficult to measure
impedance in the presence of the DC potential which is ALWAYS found on
a telephone line.  The subscriber has no means to remove the telephone
pair from the switching apparatus in the CO to eliminate this potential.
Therefore, any attempt at impedance measurement will be subject to DC
current saturation error of any inductive elements found in an impedance
bridge.  The telephone company can, of course, isolate the subscriber cable
pair from the switching apparatus for the purpose of taking a measurement -
but the subscriber cannot.  In addition to the DC current problem, there
is also the problem of impulse and other types of noise pickup on a
connected loop which will impress errors in the impedance bridge detector
circuit.  Such noise primarily results from the on-hook battery feed, and
is present even in ESS offices, with ferrod scanner pulses being a good
source of such noise.  While one could possibly dial a telephone company
"balance termination" test line to get a quieter battery feed, this still
leaves something to be desired for any actual impedance measurements.

5.	Devices which connect to a telephone pair and use a 2-wire/4-wire
hybrid with either a white noise source or a swept oscillator on one
side and a frequency-selective voltmeter on the other side to make a
frequency vs return loss plot provide impressive, but meaningless data.
Such a plot may be alleged to show "changes" in telephone line impedance
characteristics.  There is actual test equipment used by telephone companies
which functions in this manner to measure 2-wire Echo Return Loss (ERL), but
the ERL measurement is meaningless for localization of eavesdropping devices.

6.	It is not uncommon for the routing of a subscriber line cable pair
to change one or more times during its lifetime due to construction and
modification of outside cable plant.  Outside cable plant bridge taps (not
of the eavesdropping variety) can come and go, along with back taps in
the CO to provide uninterrupted service during new cable plant additions.
Not only can the "active" length of an existing cable pair change by several
percent due to construction, but lumped elements of impedance can come and
go due to temporary or permanent bridge taps.

	The bottom line of the above is that one cannot accurately measure
the impedance of a telephone pair while it is connected to the CO switching
apparatus, and even if one could, the impedance changes caused by the
installation of an eavesdropping device will be dwarfed by changes in cable
pair impedance caused by temperature, moisture, and cable plant construction
unknown to the subscriber.

	In some previous discussions in Telecom Digest about a year or so
ago, there was mention of the use of a time domain reflectometer (TDR) for
localization of bridge taps and other anomalies.  While a TDR will provide
a rather detailed "signature" of a cable pair, it has serious limitations
which include, but are not limited to:

1.	A TDR, in general, cannot be operated on a cable pair upon which
there is a foreign potential; i.e., a TDR cannot be used on a subscriber
cable pair which is connected to the CO switching apparatus.

2.	A TDR contains some rather sensitive circuitry used to detect the
reflected pulse energy, and such circuitry is extremely susceptible to
noise found in twisted pair telephone cable.  A TDR is works well with
coaxial cable and waveguide, which are in effect shielded transmission
lines.  The use of a TDR with a twisted cable pair is a reasonable
compromise provided it is a _single_ cable pair within one shield.
The use of a TDR with a twisted cable pair sharing a common shield with
working cable pairs is an invitation to interference by virtue of
inductive and capacitive coupling of noise from the working pairs.

3.	Noise susceptibility issues notwithstanding, most TDR's cannot
be used beyond the first loading coil on a subscriber loop since the
pulses transmitted by the TDR.  There are one or two TDR's on the market
which claim to function to beyond _one_ loading coil, but their sensitivity
is poor.

	There is simply no device available to a telephone subscriber that
without the cooperation of the telephone company which can confirm or deny
the presence of any eavesdropping device at any point beyond the immediate
premises of the subscriber.  I say "immediate premises of the subscriber"
because one presumes that the subscriber has the ability to isolate the
premises wiring from the outside cable plant, and therefore has complete
inspection control over the premises wiring.

	I have used the phrase "without the cooperation of the telephone
company" several times in this article.  No voltage, impedance or TDR
data is meaningful without knowing the actual circuit layout of the
subscriber loop in question.  Circuit layout information includes such
data as exact length and guages of loop sections, detailed description of
calculated and measured resistance of the loop, loop transmission loss, etc.
Ain't no way that a telephone company is going to furnish that information
to a subscriber!  Sometimes it's even difficult for a government agency to
get this information without judicial intervention.

	Despite what I have stated in this article, readers will see claims
made by third parties as to the existence of devices which will detect the
presence of telephone line eavesdropping beyond the subscriber's immediate
premises.  With the exception of the trivial cases of serious DC current
draw by an extension telephone or the detection of RF energy emitted by
a transmitter, this just ain't so.  Companies like Communication Control
Corp. (which advertises in various "executive" business publications) get
rich by selling devices which claim to measure minute voltage and impedance
changes on a telephone line - but consider those claims in view of the
voltage changes due to CO battery variations and due to temperature changes
in outside cable plant - and one should get the true picture.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

dangross@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel E Gross) (10/31/89)

  I would never have believed they existed either, but in the new DAK (c)
catalog they have a device that will either cut your phone off when another
is picked up, or will cut off all other phones when you pick yours up.
Could be useful if you're using an answering machine, or modem with call
waiting respectively - I guess.  There must therefore be some way to tell.
I would think that the line voltage would be constant though after one
phone was off-hook.  Beats me?  :-$

Dan Gross

donegan@stanton.UUCP (Steve Donegan) (10/31/89)

There is no such thing as security. If a dedicated person/government etc.
wants to tap your house/phone/car/place of work etc. they can. No scrambler
system sold on the market today is capable of stopping a government from
snooping. The real question is - do you have something to hide that 'they'
want to know about? For most people that answer would be no. Are you a
simple law breaker - 'they' won't probably go to the effort to spy on you
anyway. If you really do have something to hide then I hope you're using
one-time codes and all the other goodies of spy technology if you want to
stay 'free'. If you're a business person, concerned about your trade secrets,
the best thing to do is only communicate in-person, via passed paper, which
would be burned and flushed with all concerned present. Sorry, after working
in security for a few years one does become a professional paranoiac.

--
Steven P. Donegan, Area Telecommunications Engineer, Western Digital Corp.
Western Digital is not responsible for my opinions.