[sci.electronics] Looking for old radio parts

bob@teraida.UUCP (Bob Armstrong) (10/31/89)

  The discussion of sources for parts brings to mind another question - can
anyone recommend sources for vacuum tube components ?  Restoring/building
old radios is a growing sub-hobby of mine, and sources for vacuum tube
related parts are becoming very hard to find.  I'm specifically thinking
of things like power transformers, audio output/interstage transformers,
IF/RF transformers and coils, high voltage electrolytic capacitors, tubes
and sockets, etc...

  I'm already aware of Antique Electronic Supply, and while they're
certainly a great place, their selection is a little limited. Are there
any others ?
--
Bob Armstrong                   UUCP:  {decwrl,sun}!teraida!bob
Teradyne/EDA West               Phone: (408) 980-5263

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (11/01/89)

bob@teraida.UUCP (Bob Armstrong) writes:

>  The discussion of sources for parts brings to mind another question - can
>anyone recommend sources for vacuum tube components ?  Restoring/building
>old radios is a growing sub-hobby of mine, and sources for vacuum tube
>related parts are becoming very hard to find.  I'm specifically thinking
>of things like power transformers, audio output/interstage transformers,
>IF/RF transformers and coils, high voltage electrolytic capacitors, tubes
>and sockets, etc...

  >I'm already aware of Antique Electronic Supply, and while they're
>certainly a great place, their selection is a little limited. Are there
>any others ?

-
An attempted e-mail reply barfed so here we go....

You might try good ol' Quement Electronics in SJ if you haven't already.

Also, Hurley Electronics is a TV/Radio repair parts distributor that
stocks Miller inductors and has (or at least had when I worked in the
business) a lot of "tube parts".  QST Magazine has some advertisers
that advertise tubes of various types.

I have a catalog from MCM Electronics (at home, sorry, no address now) and
they have a lot of older repair parts although not a lot of the
"octal base" and previous variety.

The local ham swaps (there's one at Foothill College in Los Altos) are
also a good parts source.

Surplus parts stores (Halted is one here and they have a store in Sunnyvale).

Goodwill stores-  a source of old radios to use for parts.  Also, old TVs.

Barry