[sci.electronics] REPOST: NTSC -> RGB&Sync converter wanted

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (10/29/89)

I'm reposting this request because I remember reading something about
someone accidentally deleting the first message, and a lack of response (for
the same reason, I assume).

I'm looking for a way to convert NTSC video (like a VCR video out) to
RGB and sync to drive an analog monitor (like an IBM PS/2 screen).
Any suggestions or recommendations are appriciated.

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (10/31/89)

>I'm looking for a way to convert NTSC video (like a VCR video out) to
>RGB and sync to drive an analog monitor (like an IBM PS/2 screen).
>Any suggestions or recommendations are appriciated.

Chips which decode NTSC-encoded color video into RGB and sync are available
from a number of sources; check out a recent Motorola "Linear and Interface
ICs" databook for several.  However, you're likely to run into a problem with
timing - standard NTSC video is a 15.734 kHz-horizontal, interlaced format,
and nearly all monitors intended for computer use - including those in the
PS/2 line - are intended for considerably higher rates.  Thus, even if you
get the RGB and sync signals sorted out, the monitor still won't like 'em.
(Yes, there are ways to put NTSC video on a computer display - but they're
not easy/cheap, at least compared to what I think you want here.)

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (11/02/89)

In article <17660028@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>ICs" databook for several.  However, you're likely to run into a problem with
>timing - standard NTSC video is a 15.734 kHz-horizontal, interlaced format,
>and nearly all monitors intended for computer use - including those in the
>PS/2 line - are intended for considerably higher rates.  Thus, even if you

How about an NEC Multisync?  Would that be able to get down to 15kHz?  I don't
have the specs for mine handy, but it seems plausible.

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (11/04/89)

Hmmm.  I can't find my NEC files right now, but my somewhat-rusty memory
says that the NEC multisync is good for 15 - 35 kHz horizontal.  Should work.

jimc@isc-br.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (11/07/89)

In article <3699@ur-cc.UUCP> ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) writes:
>In article <17660028@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>>ICs" databook for several.  However, you're likely to run into a problem w/
>>timing - standard NTSC video is a 15.734 kHz-horizontal, interlaced format,
>>and nearly all monitors intended for computer use - including those in the
>>PS/2 line - are intended for considerably higher rates.  Thus, even if you

>How about an NEC Multisync?  Would that be able to get down to 15kHz?  I
>don't have the specs for mine handy, but it seems plausible.

Any monitor rated for CGA operation can do 15+ kHz horizontal, but interlaced
might be another story.  At least the early versions of the NEC Multisync
_will not do_ interlace!  They synchronized (internally) the VSYNC signal
with the HSYNC signal, whick kills interlace.

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC-Bunker Ramo
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc (jimc@iscuva.iscs.com)
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"