[sci.electronics] wanted information for building a VHF/UHF/FM signal booster

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (11/07/89)

Could someone please provide me with info. for building a VHF/UHF/FM signal
booster to be connected to my TV/Receiver at home.  The TV signal in the area
where I live is very poor and the RadioShack booster did not help much.

Thanks

Baskaran.

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (11/08/89)

In article <4916@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
   >Could someone please provide me with info. for building a VHF/UHF/FM signal
   >booster to be connected to my TV/Receiver at home.  The TV signal in the area
   >where I live is very poor and the RadioShack booster did not help much.
   >
   >Thanks
   >
   >Baskaran.

An amplifier (booster) should be placed right at the antenna not at the
receiver! Philips NV make a hybrid masthead amp chip that works very well
and needs very few other components. There are a few versions but I think the
most popular is the OM350. Its is 12V powered (you can phantom power
it up the coax), has about 18dB of gain (don't quote me on that) and
is good to UHF.

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe203}!vk2bea!michael
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

Michael Katzmann
Broadcast Sports Technology.
2135 Espey Ct. #4
Crofton Md. 21114 USA