[sci.electronics] Resistor Color code sayings

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/11/89)

Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (10/11/89)

In article <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

I never knew of these sayings till a professor in one of my classes told
us this one (it's not a 'clean' one either):

bad   boys   rape  our   young  girls  but  violet  gives  willingly
 0      1      2    3      4      5     6      7      8        9
black brown  red  orange yellow green blue  violet  gray     white

I have no idea where he picked this up from

Cliff

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/11/89)

In <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
> "bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
> or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

	This is a standard topic that comes up over and over again.  The
two that I know are are presented below.  I'm sure there are many more.
The second has obvious political, social, and racial predjudices built in
to it and is presented without comment.

	Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West
	Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

sci@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Doctor J) (10/12/89)

In article <1015@mgse.UUCP>, marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
> {Start of color code blurb...]

How 'bout:

	Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

		And for the tolerances, one may add:

			Get Some Now!

Time to make a .sig.

Sci
tarpon!cbnewsj!sci

yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) (10/12/89)

In article <5678@merlin.usc.edu> cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>In article <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:

#I never knew of these sayings till a professor in one of my classes told
#us this one (it's not a 'clean' one either):

#bad   boys   rape  our   young  girls  but  violet  gives  willingly
# 0      1      2    3      4      5     6      7      8        9
#black brown  red  orange yellow green blue  violet  gray     white

#I have no idea where he picked this up from

#Cliff

I first heard it in '71 in USN avionics tech school.

Ken
--
ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken
ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken ken

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (10/12/89)

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:

>Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>>color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

>--
>Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
>uucp:           rex!mgse!marks
>bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
>internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

Well, I know one and no "sexist flames", please.  I forgot the clean
version ('shows you how effective that was).

Bad       Black
Boy       Brown
Rape      Red
Our       Orange
Young     Yellow
Girls     Green
But       Blue
Violet    Violet
Gives     Gray
Willingly White

This was taught to us in high school by an instructor that was previously
an Air Force OJT instructor.

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (10/12/89)

In article <1343@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> sci@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Doctor J) writes:

>	Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

But don't say this to a class of undergraduate electrical engineers
at the University of Delaware or you will wind up at the Office
of Women's Affairs.
--

							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

fcr@wuee1.wustl.edu (Frank Robey) (10/12/89)

In article <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

 This version is:

  Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Vino Goes Well

Frank Robey
fcr@saturn.wustl.edu

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (10/12/89)

In article <5678@merlin.usc.edu> cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:

>bad   boys   rape  our   young  girls  but  violet  gives  willingly
> 0      1      2    3      4      5     6      7      8        9
>black brown  red  orange yellow green blue  violet  gray     white

I learned the same thing (too close to 30 years ago) in the Coast Guard
Basic Electronics Tech School, with the following extension:
       get     some     now - 5, 10 & 20
        5% -------------------+   |    |
                10% --------------+    |
                        20 ------------+
       gold    silver  none

							-bill
							wlBrown@lbl.gov

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with the
    official policy or management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't care
    less about employees who play with trains.

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (10/13/89)

"But Violet Gives Willingly" was "Behind Victory Garden Walls" when my
dad learned it in the Navy. Of course, lots of folks don't even know
what a "victory garden" was anymore, so I guess they had to change
the saying. I still remember it WWII style.
(Actually, he went in somewhat after WWII...)

kenb@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ken Baynard) (10/13/89)

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:

>Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

 How about....Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives
Willingly.....

rcm@hpctdpa.HP.COM (Rick Myers) (10/13/89)

/ hpctdpa:sci.electronics / marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) / 10:42 pm  Oct 10, 1989 /
> Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
> One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
> color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
> "bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
> or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

Bad Bourbon Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

hong@cyberdyne.COM (hong c choong) (10/13/89)

in <4050@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) helpfully offers:

>In <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>
>> "bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>> or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?
>
>       This is a standard topic that comes up over and over again.
>       [....]
>       Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West

   Blue Barbiturates Really Order Your Geometry But Vernon Gibbers Wildly

hong c choong
yellow devil

hermann@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Michael Hermann) (10/13/89)

I was taught this one at a kids electronics "camp" when I was in Grade 5:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

|  Mike Hermann  | ..!uunet!ubc-cs!calgary!hermann calgary!hermann@cs.ubc.ca
_Organized_ religion is like organized crime; it generates huge profits, preys
on people's waeknesses, and is nearly impossible to eradicate. - me

dougf@thayer.dartmouth.edu (DOUG FRASER) (10/13/89)

The one I have always used is:

       Bad Boys Ruin Our Young Grass But Violets Grow Wild

.

howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) (10/13/89)

In article <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?

Canadian Air-Force Version - Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Goes
			     Willingly.
--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ :-(I Think, Therefore I Am, I Think :-) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Howard.Steel@Waterloo.NCR.COM 	    NCR CANADA LTD. - 580 Weber St. N ~

hugo@bigtime.fidonet.org (Hugo) (10/13/89)

A semi-clean one left over from World War II goes:
"Bad boys rape our pretty young girls behind Victory garden walls".  Or
very close to that.  I forget whether or not the 'pretty' belongs in
there or not.
--
Larry Hughes
Domain: hugo@bigtime.fidonet.org

keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) (10/14/89)

The Society of Women Engineers at U Minn ca. 1980 preferred:

By Becoming Revolutionary Orators, Young Girls Become Very Great Women

I disagree with the sentiment - I think they should become engineers - but
this is a little easier to take than rape.  Perhaps some bright poetic
type can come up with something better.

On the other hand, if you really want to learn color code, take 10,000 random
resistors, dump them in a box, and SORT them.  You'll know color code
when you are done.  What good it will do now that you have squint blindness
isn't my problem ;-).
--
Keith Lofstrom    keithl@loop    tektronix!psueea!qiclab!loop!keithl
Launch Loop, P.O. Box 1538, Portland, Oregon 97207   (503)-628-3645

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (10/19/89)

In article <28@loop.UUCP> keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
}
}The Society of Women Engineers at U Minn ca. 1980 preferred:
}
}By Becoming Revolutionary Orators, Young Girls Become Very Great Women
}
}
}I disagree with the sentiment - I think they should become engineers - but
}this is a little easier to take than rape.  Perhaps some bright poetic
}type can come up with something better.
}
}On the other hand, if you really want to learn color code, take 10,000 random
}resistors, dump them in a box, and SORT them.  You'll know color code
}when you are done.  What good it will do now that you have squint blindness
}isn't my problem ;-).

I can just look at a resistor and immediately tell the value; I've been
doing it for so many years.  But I have a tough time remembering the color
code!  It's the same way with typing.  I type about 100 wpm, but if you
caught me away from a keyboard, I'm not sure I could list the keys on the
home row.

On the other hand, I'd never be able to remember the order of colors in
the rainbow without the mnemonic VIBGYOR.

--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

harrison@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Gregory Harrison) (10/20/89)

In article <1015@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>"bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this

Bad beer rots our young guts, but vodka goes willingly.

Greg Harrison
My opinions are not intended to relect those of GE.

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (10/20/89)

Re: remembering the color codes

The best way to learn the color code is to dump a whole drawer of
resistors on the floor, and then put them back. ;-)

Serously there are only a very few values you will probably ever need
to know.  10x 12x 15x 18x 22x 27x 33x 39x 47x 56x 68x 82x {x=0-6} will
probably cover 99% of all cases.  Thats only 12 base values you have
to learn.

Learning the color code is just like sight reading/typing.  If you are
consciously reciting a silly sentance, you are working much too hard.
Just learn to "recognize" the whole pattern.  It is really
surprisingly easy.

-wolfgang
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (703) 768-2640	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang

isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) (10/20/89)

In article <3370003@hpctdpa.HP.COM> rcm@hpctdpa.HP.COM (Rick Myers) writes:
>/ hpctdpa:sci.electronics / marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) / 10:42 pm  Oct 10, 1989 /
>> Sometime ago i learned electronics in the Army, not much but a little.
>> One of the things we learned were sayings to help learn the resistor
>> color code system. I only remeber part of one, something like
>> "bad booze rots our young guts ....". Does anyone know the rest of this
>> or another ones? Are there any 'clean' ones?
>
>Bad Bourbon Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

	Sorry if this one has already been given:-)

	Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls
	But Violet Gives Willingly
	for Silver And Gold.

Just for the fun of it,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (10/23/89)

Norm Strong writes:
On the other hand, I'd never be able to remember the order of colors in
the rainbow without the mnemonic VIBGYOR.
The mnemonic I learned for that was: Roy G. Biv.

RE: Resistor color code. On the job interview for my very first job
out of college, the only technical question I was asked was:
"Do you know the resistor color code?"

Isaac (hand me a 27 yellow resistor)
isw@cup.portal.com

snozer@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (dan jasper jalkut) (10/24/89)

In article <23323@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>The mnemonic I learned for that was: Roy G. Biv.

Just the other day my little 5 year old brother was doing a worksheet for school...  and I noticed that mnemonic was used, I never was able to remember because I was never taught a mnemonic.  At least knowing the colors of the rainbows isn't a 9th grade requirement.

soup@spock.UUCP (Constantin von Wentzel) (11/09/89)

In article <23323@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>Norm Strong writes:
>On the other hand, I'd never be able to remember the order of colors in
>the rainbow without the mnemonic VIBGYOR.
>The mnemonic I learned for that was: Roy G. Biv.

Bad
Beer
Rots
Our