[sci.electronics] RS-232 5V

nurmi@haapana.tut.fi (Nurmi Jari) (11/09/89)

I am looking for a standard serial interface which could be implemented
using 0-5V CMOS devices. I have heard some second hand information that
there EXISTS some RS-232-xxx standard that might do.

If someone out there knows such standard, please let me know! I would be
pleased to have a) a verification of the existence of the 5V version
b) the identification of the standard (by what name can I find it) and then
c) what is the reference where I can read the specifications of it.

Please save me a lot of work!

Jari Nurmi                        # Tampere University of Technology
                                  #     /Signal Processing Laboratory
nurmi@tut.fi                      # PO Box 527, SF-33101 Tampere, Finland
(nurmi@tut.UUCP   mcvax!tut!nurmi)# tel: +358 31 162 697  fax: 162 913

In article <9820@etana.tut.fi> nurmi@tut.fi (Nurmi Jari) writes:
>I am looking for a standard serial interface which could be implemented
>using 0-5V CMOS devices...

Well, the Maxim MAX232 family implements real RS232C using a +5 supply,
and as I recall it's a CMOS device...  It has its own voltage multiplier
and inverter to turn +5 into +-9.  This is by far the simplest and least
painful solution unless you have special constraints.  If "using 0-5V
CMOS devices" means "on my own CMOS chip" or "with 4000-series chips only"
or "with very low power consumption", then you do.  Consider RS422, which
is differential (2 wires per signal) but can be done with +5 only if my
memory is correct.  RS423 is sort of a modern RS232 using +-5.  I can't
think of any non-differential +5-only form offhand.

Although the RS232 standard says (-3)-(+3) is the minimum swing, many
RS232 receivers will react acceptably to a 0-3V swing.  That's definitely
non-standard, though.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu