[sci.electronics] Mark V Amplifiers Info

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (11/10/89)

>Has anyone ever built one of the amplifier kits from
>Mark V Electronics, Inc. ??

>I am interested particularly in the 120 watt Mosfet Power
>Mono Amplifier, model number TA-477. If anyone has had any
>experience with the Mark V amplifier kits, please post your
>opinions on how they sound and the quality of their designs.

I'll throw in my two cents on this...

I just finished a TA-300 30W mono amp, and am not especially happy, or
unhappy.  Mark V is not like a Heathkit- I would recommend knowing something
about electronic design before tackling one.  Now, this is not bad because
their prices are very good IF you DO know something about design.

The TA-300 kit I got had an etch error on the pc board, and they were running
a filter cap rated for 50V at 50.3V.  That's a no-no- one needs to derate
for good, reliable operation.

Their designs are not first-rate, but are acceptable if you don't have
"golden ears".

--------------------------\ /------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "I heard you." -Kirk
BITNET:tindle@ukma.bitnet  | "He simply could not believe his ears."
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY | -Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles
--------------------------/ \------------------------------------------

peg@psuecl.bitnet (11/13/89)

In article <13195@s.ms.uky.edu>, tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) writes:
>>I am interested particularly in the 120 watt Mosfet Power
>>Mono Amplifier, model number TA-477. If anyone has had any

I haven't tried Mark V kits, but I highly recommend Dick Smith's MOSFET
amp kit.  It is based on a project in the July 1985 issue of Australian
Electronics magazine.  The quality of the parts seems quite high, the
instructions are a reprint of the article (which is pretty clear), and
the price was right ( $40 for 100W MOSFET kit a while back).  I am
very pleased with the amp's performance.  I have two mono kits in a
rack mount and often lend it out for parties.  The amp runs cool
without a fan, has never shut down, and sounds nice...  Total cost with
case was $150, although I got the power supply parts at a great price
surplus.

Try contacting Dick Smith Electronics and see if they still have the kit.
I don't have an address:  they moved and I have not relocated them.  I
think they advertise in the back of Radio-Electronics.

Best of luck,

Paul